Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Large electric outboard tunnel hulls

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Large electric outboard tunnel hulls

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
fatbill69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large electric outboard tunnel hulls

Well, it looks like large scale electric will be taking off soon! DPI Hobbies U.S.A. is releasing their 1/4 scale tunnel hull pretty soon, which has been significantly improved upon from their previous 1/4 scale, and Iheard it was made just for electric. MHZ has come up with the first (to my knowledge) large electric outboard leg which looks sick and is at a good price! http://shop.mhz-powerboats.com/categ...r-Section.html

Here is the motor for the leg: http://shop.mhz-powerboats.com/categ...-5035-760.html

DPI also has some other boats at REALLY good prices. Check out their website.

POST PICS OF YOUR LARGE ELECTRIC TUNNEL HULLS! I am going to get the DPI 1/4 scale as soon as it comes out and I'll post some pics.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 AM
qdemon

Default RE: Large electric outboard tunnel hulls

Hi Fatbill
Just out of interest what size tunnel hull would be suitable Lenght x width for the Mhz leg / 5036 motor setup, I am not into fast electric but giving it a lot of thought.

could you use a tunnel hull designed for outboard gas ?.

Bob.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob

Check this building thread [link=http://www.rc-powerboat-forum.de/index.php?action=posts&fid=49&tid=11140&site=1]L I N K[/link] on the German board (just for the pictures) :-)

And see how it runs on this video : [link=https://picasaweb.google.com/105076913376346742298/F1170611?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2u6IPlk7GtwAE&feat=email#5619300649773717426]L I N K [/link]
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
fatbill69

Hendricx,
what hull is that in the video?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM
fatbill69

ORIGINAL: qdemon

Hi Fatbill
Just out of interest what size tunnel hull would be suitable Lenght x width for the Mhz leg / 5036 motor setup, I am not into fast electric but giving it a lot of thought.

could you use a tunnel hull designed for outboard gas ?.

Bob.

Iwould recommend somewhere in the 40-50 or more inch range for length. The motor can put out a peak of 8,100 Watts, so that is a lot of power for a small hull. And yes, Isuppose you could use a tunnel hull designed for gas- there is no law against it, but Iwouldn't recommend it. My guess is that you are looking at the Zippkits Illusion? I would recommend the DPI 1/4 scale. The owner of DPI designed that with large electric in mind.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Outboard Jay

I owned a DPI hull some 15 years ago...it was flighty with a tendency to flip...it had a K&B 13 CC on the transom...nothing worked well.
I don't want to denigrate the designer's efforts, but I sold it outright and warned the buyer of its tendencies.

My observations: 1.At the time the skeg of the K&B was not deep enough to effectively turn. 2. The hull trapped too much air which
resulted in "hazardous flight."

If the DPI is to be recommended I hope the designer has solved all the negatives.

Jay
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM
fatbill69

Yes, Iknow the old DPI 1/4 scale had some problems, but they will all be addressed with the new 1/4 scale one from what Ihave heard.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fatbill69
Hendricx , what hull is that in the video?

MCL-F1cat (Modellbau Center Lorenz) ... [link=http://www.modellbaucenterlorenz.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=796]L I N K[/link]

133cm/52.4" x 51cm/20" x 27cm/10.6"