Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

A newbie frequency question....

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

A newbie frequency question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM
faithfulfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newbie frequency question....

Hello all....
A few of us old guys bought ourselves some cheap R/C boats to use on our backyard pond. Mine is a 30" Century 7.2 volt boat. My buddy bought another one from a different manufacturer. These were inexpensive boats.......both less then $40.00.
Our problem is now his new boat is the same frequency as mine.......49.86. Is there any easy way to change this, like dip switches or something? If not, we'll just have to make sure only one of ours is in the water at a time......

I'm guessing there is not much we can easily do....that's why they were only like $40.00. Thank you in advance for any info you may have.....

Frank
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
huck1199

Default RE: A newbie frequency question....

One of you would have to change to a different transmitter and receiver on a different channel. Hardly seems worth that expense for such low cost boats.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Goldenduff

Are the transmitter and receiver crystals easily removed? If so you might be able to change the frequency by changing the crystals.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
faithfulfrank

Without taking anything apart, I think you are right.....probably not worth doing much about it, as they are inexpensive. We'll just have to not use them at the same time......I was hoping they would be kind of like garage door openers with dip switches.....oh well.......Thank you!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Per FCC rules, transmitters are locked into one channel UNLESS they have interchangable single channel trnsmitter modules or a synthesized module allowing user changable channel selection. These are usually only available on high end models like the Futaba 7C, 8C, 9C, 10C or equivalent. Radios on the 49MHz band are normally considered to be toy grade and usually have the receiver integrated into an electronics module that also includes a speed controller.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM
faithfulfrank

Thank you Hydro......that is what I figured. I know it is just a toy.....but we have fun with it and at that pricepoint, if the kids hurt it I'm not out much. Thanks!