Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Best Lipos to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Best Lipos to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Lipos to buy?

I have run nitro and gas boats for years. I got interested in helis and started out with and stayed exclusively electric and had very good luck with the zippy flightmax lipos for how I fly. Now I have been playing around with boats again and slowly getting used to and transitioning to electric. I have been running the flightmax batteries in my brushless boats but It seems lately quality of the flightmaxes are kind of hit and miss. What lipos does everyone have the best luck with? What lipos seem to be the best overall cost being no object?? Which are the best bang for the buck? It used to be the zippys were the best for a very reasonable price. What are my choices now?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
jworm49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for good cheap packs I have tried Gforce and they seem ok so far I have also herd good things about Gens Ace packs.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
785boats

Since you say cost is no object, then Hyperion would be a good choice.
Dinogy would also be a good choice.
Since cost is an object with me I race with these. And still beat boats powered by Hyperion, & Thunderpower packs.
http://www.chinahobbyline.com/product.asp?typeid=30
http://www.haiyinstore.com/products_mwh.asp?p_id=207

I used to race Zippy packs but find that the above packs are better value with more punch.

Last edited by 785boats; 09-03-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
rcollector

Thanks for the Replies! I didn't say cost was no object for me. I run zippy's because it is. If I was sure it was worth it it might buy the best but I can't afford to do that and find out they are not worth the cost. I just asked both best bang for the buck AND best cost not being an object,,, I do not race I just play around in the bay off my dock when it is calm and quiet and no one is around. I have a 35 inch international hobbies tunnel with a 7.5 hyperformance bullet lower , leopard 4092 motor on 6s with a turnigy 180 esc.... I just got done converting a older performance international(was also known as outboard innovations) 56 inch tunnel from a zen 260 on a custom outboard I built out of a kanellos outdrive to a turnigy aquastar t-20 also on a 7.5hyperformance products bullet lower. I am running it on 12s with a castle 200hv esc. It seemed to work ok , breaks flex cables more than it should but It all seemed good, everything running cool but one cell puffed on a zippy. I was suspicious of that pack anyway The last couple packs I bought did not seem to want to balance even when I first got them. Thats why I wanted to try something else

Last edited by rcollector; 09-02-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM
rcollector

the 7.5 lower seems to work pretty good but I broke two flex cables the first day I tried it out. May have to either buy or build something with a 1/4 cable . I want to run it more and see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9683.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	1915981  
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
rcollector

The first pics are the old gas lowers I have run the second is what I am trying. The electric is faster than the gas. The reason I wanted to try the 7.5 lower is it is much lighter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9691.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	1916003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9655.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	1916004  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a higher rated C battery. Boats love amps and with the spikes from being in and out of the water you want to make sure your batteries can deliver.

I've been running the Turnigy nanotechs 65-130c with no problems.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 AM
rcollector

I know about c ratings and next time I buy I will get the higher rated batteries but according to tha castle data logging I was very much well within what should be safe for my lipos. I sent the zippy that puffed the one cell back to hobbyking usa and this morning I found out that they have credited me for the defective battery. They have been much better about warranting their products lately.... That is good. Thanks for the advice on other batteries so far I am looking into the brands you all have listed here. I bought a turnigy for my heli a few years ago , same specs supposedly as my other bartteries and it puffed right away. Now that was a few years ago and it was not a nano so I could try them as well again I suppose.