Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 AM
mdelgado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Conversion

It's been awhile since I've been on here an hope you could help. My kids are getting into the RC world and i thought I'd dig out my boats this Spring. They're younger and don't like the loud nitro. I have an old Dumas 45" with a KB40 motor. I'd like to convert it to electric and was looking for motor and running gear suggestions. Is there a single motor out there big enough to move this boat, or would i have to go twins? I don't need to break speed records or anything, and don't want to break the bank either, in case they're not interested. They currently have Tmaxxs with 775 motors. Think I could re-purpose those motors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BaXqttLl.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2263892
Old 04-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What is the KV rating on the T-Maxx motors? After having this same conversation with someone a day or two ago, I can tell you that yes, a single motor will work. The important part is how big of battery pack do you want to use and can you get a speed controller that will handle the amperage drawn by the motor.
In the other conversion, the gentleman wanted to use a motor that had too high of KV rating and a 6S pack that would have cooked his speed controller so knowing what the motors are rated at,as well as the pack size you plan on using is very important
Old 04-04-2019, 05:15 AM
mdelgado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
What is the KV rating on the T-Maxx motors? After having this same conversation with someone a day or two ago, I can tell you that yes, a single motor will work. The important part is how big of battery pack do you want to use and can you get a speed controller that will handle the amperage drawn by the motor.
In the other conversion, the gentleman wanted to use a motor that had too high of KV rating and a 6S pack that would have cooked his speed controller so knowing what the motors are rated at,as well as the pack size you plan on using is very important

From what the google says, not many people have figured out the kva of this motor. But a lot mentioned close to 1100 at 18v.

I'm not going to spend hundreds on battery packs. I currently have two 2s 7.4v 5200mah lipos in each tmaxx. If I could use those, or add onto those, that would be great. obviously weight is an issue...

But really, if someone has a good recommendation of components, much appreciated. keep in mind, it for kids, so speed isn't a big factor, but obviously it needs to get up on plane and be fun
Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can probably get by with 6S although 8S would be better. A long 40mm motor with a Kv between 1000 and 1300 would work on 6S, but a bigger 700-800 motor on 8S would work better. (The original T-Maxx motor had a Kv higher than 1100, closer to 1600. Too high for this big boat.)

Running four 2S packs in series gives 8S, you’ll need an ESC to handle that voltage. A Swordfish 200 HV ESC will work. With just 5200 mAh your run time will be limited, depending on the prop and how the boat is driven expect between 3 and 6 minutes, maybe more if speed is not a goal.