Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

1/8 Scale Cooling issues

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

1/8 Scale Cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 06:05 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1/8 Scale Cooling issues

I am having cooling issues with two 1/8 scale hydros. Running Bill Brandts set up with twin water pickup rudder. Does not appear to be getting enough water through the motor or esc. I have changed props to smaller but still running hot.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2023, 06:53 AM
kevinthoele

Using the SSS 4092 850 KV with mount and cooling jacket combo with ZTW 8S 150A ESC Running 2215 19 38 prop by Mark Sholund

Have Speedmaster twin water pickup rudder. It just looks like not getting enough water flow through motor!!! Are people drilling out fittings and replacing with larger ones?

Don't want to run again till I make some kind of change. Thanks for any ideas
Old 08-03-2023, 11:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Three things that I'm aware of, other than too much prop, that can overheat an electric drive, are:
  • too small of wires between the ESC and motor
  • connectors that have "high" resistance
  • excessive drag in the driveline installation
Not sure if this is your first electric or not but, what I've seen, many times, is the ESC is located a short distance from the motor. This requires a jumper or harness of no smaller than 12 guage wires, preferably an 8 or 10 gage. Many buy pre-made ones that are of sufficient size but some prefer to make them for a custom fit. In many cases, the wires used are too small and the system overheats. This is also something that happens between battery packs and ESCs.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:38 AM
kevinthoele

I think the Motor and ESC are good. Using 8mm bullet connectors. Also have short distance between them

Old 08-04-2023, 10:40 AM
kevinthoele

Do these wires look sufficient? They are the stock wiring installed on motor and ESC. I simply put 8mm bullets on them

Last edited by kevinthoele; 08-04-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Should be good, from what I can see. Are the connectors gold plated or plain? Gold plated are much better conductors than the plain ones, but are also much more spendy
Old 08-04-2023, 03:30 PM
kevinthoele

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Should be good, from what I can see. Are the connectors gold plated or plain? Gold plated are much better conductors than the plain ones, but are also much more spendy
yes gold plated. Changed prop sizes down and still running hot. Still not convinced I am getting sufficient water around motor. Considering drilling out fittings