Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
minh68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tune Your Super Vee 27

Hi Phil
Is it the lake near the evergreen high school?
let me known if you come out today. I get of from work at 5:30
minh68
Old 09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Sympal

Hi, Minh,

I know there is a lake by Evergreen HS but I've never been to it. There is a lake in front of Linardi's where the central open space is. How big is the lake by Evergreen highschool? Do you live near there? Let me know your numer and I'll give you a call. Thanks, Minh.

---Phil
Old 09-20-2006, 03:04 PM
minh68

Hi Phil
It is not that wide, but it is long. It's off Arcade Ave.
here is my # 386-4617.
minh
Old 09-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Skeeno

I have a servo tech question. The stock servo puts out about 57oz of torque and has a transit time of about .16 both @ 6v. Is it a good idea to put in something stronger or faster? I have several better servos lying around; Hitec 625 and 645, Futaba 3305 and 3010, Bluebird 630. Should I put one in?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Skeeno, if you are going to be racing then a servo with a faster response would be better. But if you are just going to be having fun, then the stock one is fine.

PS. I got mine today. can't wait till Saturday.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Skeeno

I was just curious if stronger servos would make the boat more "Twitchy" because of the strength and speed.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Wheelnut

I wouldn't use the word "Twitchy", it will just be more responsive. Like I said, if you are not racing then just use the stock servo.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Wheelnut

Ok, just got mine out of the box. Kudos to Aquacraft and Grimracer. Nice boat and Nice yellow. Some yellows are dull, but this yellow is nice and bright. Also Nice boat stand. Much better than the one I received with the Aquajet. Also nice decals. I have had to fight with decals alot in the past but these were straight forward and simple and they look great.
Here is the question. I plugged in my two 6 cell packs and turned it on. I noticed the steering trim is way to the right. even with the trim on the radio all the way to the left the rudder is still steering to the right a little. I am pretty sure I just need to take off the tie rod connector and adjust it a little, but I wanted to see if it was meant to be to keep the boat straight or just a factory thing that needs to be adjusted. Anyone else notice this on their boat?
Also is the flex cable greased from the factory or do we need to do that before our first run?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Just got mine also. I got the deep blue hull, thinking the lighter blue anodized hardware would be a nice contrast. It looks just great. No stickies for me, I'll come up with something else for the hull. As I predicted .. it's in the 40's, raining and the wind is at about 35/40 mph. Sooo, the best bet is to fire up the burn barrell and get rid of some of the evidence .......... she'll never know !!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
SerenityRacingRC

Well I haven't gotten mine yet, but it is still in the high to mid 70's here so I have awhile before seasons end. Oh I can't wait!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:29 PM
hobbimaster

I should be getting mine tommorow in the mail. I ordered the orange one since I figured the white, yellow, and red would be the most popular. I still wanted something kind of bright that could be seen from a distance (just in case). My question is, what is holding the batts in, I didnt see ant kind of straps. Also I didnt see the wood Grim said needed a good seal job. My boat will also need to be hidden away for a while till I can convince the misses its been around a long time "That old thing, had it in the closet for a while now."
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM
SerenityRacingRC

Oh I speak too soon!! Just got my shipment notification from UPS!!!! Thanks Offshore, as always!!!! Oh yea I am in the water this weekend!!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
adelane

ORIGINAL: Grimracer

do not open the vents.. as a matter of fact if you like, the boat has been designed to allow you to tape the hatch. just move the antenna to the transom and tape over the antenna hole.. tape the cowl..

We have ran a bunch of different radios with this ESC.. I use the 3pk and it works fine.. but to tell you the truth its over kill.. the stock radio works great too.

Make sure your trims are neutral.. plug the boat in. go from hight to low trim to see if the esc fires up. If not use your servo reverse and try again.

Grimracer

Just got my SV27 today. Wanted yellow but the LHS only got 4 colors including white, which is what I went with.

Grim, can you use your AQUB9505 GrimRacer Antenna/Cable Seal Boot to make the canopy watertight?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
ShaneP

The batteries are held down with velcro. There are no straps. I have had the batteries pop loose a couple of times, but the others I know running the boat have not had this problem, so I will chalk it up to user error.

One thing I am going to be doing as soon as I find the right ball cup is to change the steering linkage. I am going to be using 4-40 rod with a ball cup and am going to attach it to the servo arm with a Du-Bro EZ connect and collars. The reason behind this is I feel it's only a matter of time before the stock ball connector breaks off from taking it on and off while doing maintenance to the boat and I would rather not have to re-center the rudder by popping the ball connector on and off.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 PM
USABaja5B

Got mine today. Very nice workmanship. The foam packaging was torn in half, but it did its job to get it to the front door. I'll post videos Thrusday night. Its for my 10 year old, and he likes to have the stickers exactly like the box.

SHINY!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:00 AM
ShaneP

Grim, are you running your turn fins tucked in or angled away from the transom?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Grimmie and Russ are out of the country right now so he's unable to answer any questions until they return.
I would assume that the leading edge should be parallel to the transom.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Blackjack52

Some helpful first-time setup for newbies.
I'm new to RC boats but have a bit experience with the aircraft. I recvd my SV27 yesterday and must say I was impressed with the workmanship. Great job Grim and Aquacraft.
Before you go out and open the throttle wide and split hydrogen atoms with this thing, take some time and personal responsibility so you don't have to build a new boat right off the bat.
Don't worry-I'm going to use that phrase.
-Set all trims on the radio to center-this will fix the problem with the rudder turning immediately to the right, and will also allow you to arm the system properly,
-If the rudder control arm is rubbing against anything when you have it full left or right, move the linkage out or in on the servo control horn (on the servo inside the water proof radio box),
-Make sure antenna wire is safely tucked away from servo control horn when putting the radio box lid back on.
-Ensure rubber tubes for water cooling aren't crimped or significantly bent. If so, readjust tubing to correct. Don't want to run a brand new engine for five minutes and bring it back in only to find things are melting.
-Use double-sided tape to securely fasten the radio recvr inside the waterproof radio box.
-Put foam tape (double-sided tape without removing the other side) along the wood frame where the battery will rest (wood frame by the radio box). This will prevent rubbing on the batts and wood.
-Double check all screws.
-Float test for maybe 15 minutes to ensure good seals.

These are most of the things I noted as I was prepping mine for it's first run. The one that takes the longest is doing a test float, so you'll be up and running quickly and safely.

I'm waiting for my Spektrum DX2 to come in today. I've used the DX6 on my aircraft with no problems and can't see investing $300 to $400 with this boat only to let some freq mess me up.

Good luck newbies. For you experienced boaters, anything additional? I've already used the recommendations on page 1 of this post.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 AM
u163665

My decision to buy the Supervee 27 was largely due to the threads here on RC Universe. I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that scuffing the bottom of the hull would increase performance - - - The hull is so pretty right now that I just cannot handle doing it. Maybe after I run the boat a few times and create my own beauty marks.

Thanks for the advice on prepping the boat. Yesterday I truoble shooted starting the motor and only after many frustrating attempts did I realize that the throttle trim was far from neutral - - once I put it in neutral, no problems. So far, like many of you, I am very impressed with this boat. I am delighted to have a nice looking fiberglass small FAST electric boat. If this handles like I think it will, I think I will end up getting rid of my larger gas boats.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
rooski

Got my SV27 last night. Strange question but I've never had a BL motor before. Should I be able to turn the motor shaft by hand? If so, something is not right. The thing won't budge. I haven't run the boat yet (still have to do the wood prep and put on the turn fin) but I would think I should be able to turn the motor shaft/coupler with my fingers like on a brushed motor.

I just put some packs in it and the motor did turn over but it was very loud and the prop/drive shaft did not seem to be spinning as smoothly as it should. The prop stops the instant you release the throttle. My other boats wind down smoothly for a second or two. Hmmmm..... Thoughts anyone?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
SerenityRacingRC

My thought on that is not good. You should be able to spin it freely, I can spin my B/L freely. Haven't gotten my SV27 yet but there is no reson why it should be different. Looks like we have out first return.. Possible?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Wheelnut

rooski, I had the same experience with my shaft. It is very tight and I am hoping this is just a massive amount of torque from the motor. I am still waiting on someone to tell me if the shaft comes greased or do I have to do it before I run it??
Blackjack52, My JR radio won't program either. I know to set all trims to zero. I have been programming esc's for some time now. I get three beebs about 3 times and then it quits. I have control over the rudder but not the esc. Also my steering trims on my radio are set at zero and the rudder is still turned alot. I will have to manually adjust this.
Anythoughts on the esc programming?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM
rooski

ORIGINAL: grk65

rooski, I had the same experience with my shaft. It is very tight and I am hoping this is just a massive amount of torque from the motor. I am still waiting on someone to tell me if the shaft comes greased or do I have to do it before I run it??
I am worried that there is a friction point somewhere in the drive line. I'm tempted to take the motor out and see if the shaft turns smoothly and easily then. I think I'll wait to hear from Russ or Grim when they get back before I do anything further.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Wheelnut

I have tried the radio with the throttle in the normal and reverse position and same problem. Shanep, have you got yours to program yet?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Blackjack52

Grk65,
When I first powered on the xmtr then connected the batteries, I was getting nothing but continuous beeps. I disconnected the batts, set trims to center, then hooked the bats back up and got the 1 then 5 beeps called for in the instructions. No idea about the JR radios. I'm curious now if the DX2 will give me problems. However, I read in one of these forums that Grim or dsomeone else tested different radio setups. Maybe shoot Aquacraft a message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.