Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

SV27 Water Cooling

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

SV27 Water Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Stinger9d9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SV27 Water Cooling

Also, in that same article, Jay Turner says that the aluminum water jacket pictured is "much better" than the cooling coil. It seems a little contradictory to say too much water is a bad thing after saying that.

Anyway, that whole article is just one guy's opinion. Sort of like mine .
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Maybe you should write a letter to Boat Modler and fill them in on your theory and see if they publish your article.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Stinger9d9

No way, I don't need to spead my nonsense that far and wide. Besides, those guys are pros. I personally just don't agree with the less is more cooling philosophy.

The next post I read where someone fried his motor because it had too much cooling will be the first.

Here are a couple of pics of her running today, and the spray coming out of the outlet. She was going a bit fast, so it's more of a spray than a stream, but you get the idea. No dry running anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91907.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	547936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37793.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	547937  
Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
MrMikeG

I'm still on the fence but I do know your cooling can is definitely better than stock! Of course with the bigger volume you have effectively slowed down the flow through anyway!

I do know the Car engine thing is true, remove the theromstat and it will over heat BUT is it the slower flow through the engine OR the slower flow through the radiator that prevents it from over heating with the theromstat????????? Since we use a constant source of new water the later doesn't apply at all to us.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Stinger9d9

I've not seen that with a car engine, my experience would be that running the engine without a thermostat would cause the engine to never reach operating temperature, and the heater never really got hot. In other words, I put out more hot air than it would, but that's a different story.

On the topic of the water jacket I made, I never realized another benefit. I can undo the flex coupler without even pulling the water lines off of the jacket. There is plenty of room for the two wrenches without pulling the radio box, water lines, or anything. That's sure is handy.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
rooski

ORIGINAL: Stinger9d9

On the topic of the water jacket I made, I never realized another benefit. I can undo the flex coupler without even pulling the water lines off of the jacket. There is plenty of room for the two wrenches without pulling the radio box, water lines, or anything. That's sure is handy.
You don't have to pull the water jacket tubing and the radio box to undo the flex coupler. I know it shows that in the manual but it's just not necessary. I have rotated my water jacket over to the side just a bit and I can easily get in there with wrenchs.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:00 AM
TrunkMunky

Dual cooling inlets for esc and motor,stock cooling jacket.runs cool and fast on 14 cells and lipo.

Name:	Ay74236.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	549714  
Old 10-28-2006, 01:13 AM
TrunkMunky

No prob.

Name:	Om33615.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	549740  
Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 AM
dorkymk3

i just bought a metal jacket from offshore electric. wow what a big difference especailly running with 14cells the motor is barely warm. now i need to add a pick up to get a better flow going straight and left. instead of only going on rights due to the rudder pickup.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
stiffmioster

hi im just lookin at your water pick up system and i need something like that where did you purchase it i need one my rudder system isnt doin the job
Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
stiffmioster

where are you going to buy a new pick up from i need one badly and were did you buy the jacket because my motor is overheating and the boat is stoping in the middle of the lake i need help
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
stiffmioster

your water setup is very nice i need to do that how do you have 2 tubes are you using the splitter provided with the traxas pickups i badly need to keep my motor cool it keeps overheating
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Stinger9d9

Here's everything you need.

The water pickup is here:

http://www.easycart.net/cgi-bin/whob...ing+4+WP3035+1

The metal water jacket is available here:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/acc...tm#waterjacket

If all you do is add those two, you should be fine.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:25 AM
TrunkMunky

Hello.What I did was,I used 2 traxxas villain water pickups from Tower Hobby.I drilled one more hole in the back hull for an extra water pickup line ,then ran one for the esc only and then one for the motor only.I run a bigger prop and 14 cells so I needed the extra cooling and that is exactly what I now have,fast and cool ,I like it and it is a cheap mod to do.
[quote]ORIGINAL: stiffmioster
ORIGINAL: stiffmioster

your water setup is very nice i need to do that how do you have 2 tubes are you using the splitter provided with the traxas pickups i badly need to keep my motor cool it keeps overheating
Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 AM
stiffmioster

that lable came of my motor aswell i realy need to do something obut it were did you purchase yourget ur pickup from i realy need this problem fixed im looking at my boat now and i have bent the tabs down ok that should be fixed but my biggest concern is water cooling
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 AM
stiffmioster

cool but does that not mean then you would have to have to water outlets out the side ouf the boat i am looking at mine and i cant picture what you have done can u put a pick up please to show me how you are running a line for each what size water lines will i have to use i dont no which one to purchase
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 AM
benmat

Stinger:

I followed the link you posted for the metal water jacket but am not sure which will fit the SV motor. The only metal water jacket I see is the one shown on the fiego motor. Will that fit the SV motor?

Ben
Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Stinger9d9

ORIGINAL: benmat

Stinger:

I followed the link you posted for the metal water jacket but am not sure which will fit the SV motor. The only metal water jacket I see is the one shown on the fiego motor. Will that fit the SV motor?

Ben
Yup, it will fit if the dimensions listed are correct.

The inside diameter shown on the OffshoreElectrics site says 36mm. The stock brushless motor in the SV27 is definitely 36mm, in fact it is listed as 36/56 which means 36mm diameter, and 56mm long. I've measured it myself, as I needed to while making my own water jacket.

I would have ordered this one, but I didn't have my motor back from Hobby Services at the time, so I had plenty of time to make one, and I was paranoid about cooling so I went overboard. My motor never even heats up anymore, so if this one is even half as good as the one I made, it should be plenty.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Funboyfly

ORIGINAL: benmat

You mean this one ? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ima...tal_jacket.JPG

I asked steven and he said it fits the stock motor.As I'm not as gifted as stinger9 who made his nice water jacket I ordered one
Old 11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Speederson

Is that one from OE just a slip fit or does it clamp on some how?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Funboyfly

I haven't got my new jacket yet,should be there in a couple of days,I'll keep you posted asap.[8D]
Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Blackjack52

I found a very lightweight/inexpensive way to monitor motor temp, aside from Eagle Tree/Spektrum Telem. Use irreversible thermal liquid crystals. You can specify the threshold you want and when the temp is met/exceeded, they stay marked so you know if the temp was met.
A temp gun is nice, but is only really useful for getting a temp reading after the boat has sucked in some cooling water while bringing her back in. The only 2 methods of knowing exactly what the motor is heating up to are telem and these strips.
The "6 Level Mini-strips" are the perfect size.
http://www.tiptemp.com/assets/17/thermaxstrips.pdf

WL-have you named your boat yet? How about "Screamin' Beaver"?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM
TrunkMunky

I got the tubing from Pet Smart.it's for aquarium pumps. The size was 250 od x180 id,and I used a prather water outlet from Tower hobby for the other outlet.Can't upload pics right now but will try again later .

cool but does that not mean then you would have to have to water outlets out the side ouf the boat i am looking at mine and i cant picture what you have done can u put a pick up please to show me how you are running a line for each what size water lines will i have to use i dont no which one to purchase
Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
stiffmioster

how come you didnt leave the water outlet stock yep mate try and put pics up i cant understand how you have one going to the esc and one to the motor thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: TrunkMunky

I got the tubing from Pet Smart.it's for aquarium pumps. The size was 250 od x180 id,and I used a prather water outlet from Tower hobby for the other outlet.Can't upload pics right now but will try again later .

Basicly the same tubing I have been telling everyone about now for about 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.