Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
 New Project, brushless jet boat >

New Project, brushless jet boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New Project, brushless jet boat

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Project, brushless jet boat

awesome . grrrrrreat!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did ya like the full 360 I pulled?

I need to find another battery pack like the ones I used, I really want to try 16 cells.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, that thing moves!! nice vids and boat!! was that the same setup as the last rapid running vid?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM

QS,
Looks like she is going pretty darn good. Cant wait to get a taste of jet boating. Update over in the Jet Sprint thread .

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: mahogany dreams

man, that thing moves!! nice vids and boat!! was that the same setup as the last rapid running vid?
yep same set up
Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 AM

Wow. That's the best running boat I've seen that was modified that heavily. Good job. Looks "well manored" not an easy trick. Looks like lots of fun. Can't wait to see the comarison with the variable drive.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 AM

Very nice!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 PM

variable nozzle will hopefully be exciting......by the way...great job
Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 AM

SWEET!!! Mabey with the varible jet drive if what you are doing doesen't work, I got an idea on how you could make one. This idea is just like a Fighter Jet's Afterburmers. There are 8 pieces of tapered pieces of plastic or brass, so when it is at full cone there all the pieces are touching. these would be attached to a piece of rubber that goes around the jet outtake, and make a bracket so that the nozzle will just slip onto the end. Once you have those parts made, make an end like an bag with a string, and the "bag Opening" aka the nozzle opening, have there be a spirng in there with a piece of wire. When you pull the servo wire, The whole thing makes a cone and, well, ya. also I have another Idea for it. On the rock Crawling website. They show how to convert a Airtronics MX-3 so you can make it have independent rear steering, by using a toggel swich. It would be great if you could do this manually. So you could always have perfect jet cone.
Just an Idea, again Sweet boat!!!!
Dan
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 AM

Quicksilver, Heres the link to the article on making an toggle swich that you could use for the varible nozzle. I Think it will be very helpful in this application, and I may do it for the boat trailer I am making, with a winch, but then again the radio's 3 channels would when you swich it the forward and backword would control the servo. So i think i may not have to.
Hope this helps
Dan

http://rccrawler.com/mx3.htm
Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 AM

yeah if it worked I would ultimately want a 3rd channel for it. The thing I read about the variable nozzles though, is that a box type design is actually more efficient than a jet fighter type nozzle. I dont know why, I had wracked my brain over the fighter style nozzle for a while and then I read box was better anyway. Mine isnt a true box, but the KMB drive definitely is easier to put a flap on it like I did rather than a fighter style nozzle. The graupner drives however would be easier to set up like a fighter, assuming it could be done.

If it would ever get freakin warm out than I could test this thing.. [:@] still 35degrees and snowing for the 5th day in a row.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM

LITTLE UPDATE

Ran the boat yesterday afternoon, after the snow melted [:@].
I actually have ditched the nozzle idea. I never tested it, but I know the way I have it, that it wont function properly....I'll get to that in a minute. So I put both packs as far back as they could go to mess with the cog. It actually messed it up bad, would porpoise, and then cavitate completely. So moved the cog forward a little, found the sweet spot. Now, I'm investigating my cells and causes of friction, since the boat really wasn't running with as much punch as usual.

Basically here's the deal, since the nozzles on electric drives, are not that tight, minimizing the nozzles output area, will merely cause back pressure which will spray water out the sides of the front part of the nozzle. Now if it were a sealed nozzle, it would increase back pressure but it would accelerate the water more before expelling it out the nozzle. Being this is a very small boat I believe there are several ways to accomplish this with stretchable polymers. I want to research variable inlets though too, before proceeding. This is a tougher project then the nozzle, however I'm reading this is just as important or more important than the variable nozzle. It can be done, as I had with the nozzle, I've already got the design figured out. I'm starting to think about recommissioning the villain-jet as a test mule, instead of experimenting with this nicer boat.

Anyways, I hope spring has actually sprung for everyone and we can get off this computer and get to the lake more often. 47 degrees today gettin there.

~QS
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I hear ya on the weather QS-- it's been miserably cold here too. We're at 46 today, and supposed to be 60 this weekend. However, I'm STILL waiting on the replacement esc for my AquaJET! I emailed Steven the other day, and he said he still hasn't heard from Hobby Lobby yet. GRR.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I actually just got an email from Steven saying he got my new esc, and he is shipping it out!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM

sweet!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 AM

I think that you should at least try it b4 you jumo to conclusions. it was such hard work and alot of time to throw it away. You are right about the nozzle going out the sides. If you seal it, which would be very easy by taking some rubber and putting it around the part that the jet exits the hull, and you can make it good. You could even if you wanted to put some silicon sealant around it. If this is the case, I think that a sealed fighter jet style would work the best, because how do you seal a box around a circle and make it quite efficent, or having a circle and making it efficent. I also think you could mount a servo so that there is 4 wires, on the top, bottom, right; and left, so that the servo makes a complete cone. I highly believe this would be more efficent in this application.
Dan
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM

I get ya, it's tough, because I've been having all these cavitation problems. Know, I will try it, just with runs few and far between recently, havent wanted to potentially waste one. I've got to find something to seal it with. I've yet to think of a material that stretches and it air tight. duh, I'm stupid, latex.. Now where to find black latex, so it doesnt look funny. Man, I dont want to have to one of those... haha.. I'll just stop there. I'll let ya know if I figure this out.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 PM

As I read into that post I thought the same thing. Go to a local stag shop or such. Or maybe a black baloon.

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

I get ya, it's tough, because I've been having all these cavitation problems. Know, I will try it, just with runs few and far between recently, havent wanted to potentially waste one. I've got to find something to seal it with. I've yet to think of a material that stretches and it air tight. duh, I'm stupid, latex.. Now where to find black latex, so it doesnt look funny. Man, I dont want to have to one of those... haha.. I'll just stop there. I'll let ya know if I figure this out.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 PM

yeah, I was thinking, even if I dont use the var. nozzle, sealing the steering nozzle would probably increase thrust. There is quite a bit of spray onto the transom, way I see it, if water is spraying anywhere but straight out the back, I'm losing something.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Put in a good run today with the boat. Got a bit rough with her, but shes fine. Havent changed anything this time.
But it's an actual video, I learned how to edit
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LVybifiZJk]VIDEO[/link]
Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (81)

Nice job and nice video. Which one would you say is faster. The Jet Villain or this one?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I think this one can be faster flat out, but to be completely honest I'm thinking of resurrecting the villain with this drive. The villain ran easier than this boat, however this boat can run shallower water. It's always a trade off. Today I was learning how to run this boat in rapids. Most learned, you can't go WOT on rapids, you've got to slow down and pay attention. I will say the villain couldn't run these rapids, maybe it could, but it wouldnt be pretty. I still am on the fence as to what to do, I really want to run this boat 16cell. I'm working on that.