Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

New Kyosho Sunstorm Brushless with new Video (Rebuilt)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New Kyosho Sunstorm Brushless with new Video (Rebuilt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
dmanning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Kyosho Sunstorm brushless

Haha foolish to swim thats funny. I'm Australian and a certified lifeguard and have been surfing for 16 years. But good point, all you canadians that have water at a frosty 2 deg dont go swiming after your boat. Cause you wil die.
Yeah i got most of the smell off with contact cleaner but still i cant test the motor till i get a new ESC, and if i buy it i would like to save on postage and get both if i at the save time if need be.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Auslide
Banned

Come on...

How the hell else did I manage to find a VW Beetle in my local river...

Swiming after my Boat

If Your Careful and Dont go into a Mass Panic and know there are no fresh water sharks,Alligators or rapid moving Current, then Swimming is Safe..
Only a Fool would Dive into un known waters..
Swimming in is my Last Alternative if the Rescue Boat Fails.. and I sure as hell don't Run it in Lakes wider then my Maximum Swimming Distance.. and race it up stream from my Current location so if anything Does go wrong.. there is plenty of time to sit idley by and wait for it to hit the shore..
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
dmanning

Well I have ordered a new cheap ESC 40amp Dynam and a towerpro servo, cost me $62.00 but this should be enough to get the boat running again. This time I'm going to add alot more polystyrine and secure the batteries better so if it does flip again, it wont sink .
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Blackjack52

Hey.....I was impressed with the first run. She looked pretty stout and maneuvered well. Hope you can restore it. She'll probably hull better too the next time.
Gotta try the rockets too.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 AM
dmanning

Hi everyone, Just thought i would share this cool idea I had, here is a link to a Google Earth placemark file

http://putstuff.putfile.com/45345/197751

All you have to do is Install Google Earth download the file and double click on it to see the place where my R/C Sunstorm video was recorded.

This way we can all get an idea of the types of places where we launch our boats.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:50 AM
dmanning

Well everyone, my replacment ESC, servo and receiver have finaly arrived, total price $90 AUD shipped from Hong Kong (expensive crash).
I have now filled every spare corrner of the hull with polystyrene (no more sinking) and to get a perfect seal arount the loose fitting hatch I filled the whole join with clear silicone let the hatch bond to the hull for 2 days, then ran a hobby knife around the hatch. I now have a perfectly molded water tight hatch with silicone edges.

I have also added two 18 x 50mm turn fins/skegs to help it corner better, as you can hear from the video there was a bit of prop walk and being a very shallow hull it really has issues turning without sliding out.

I also moved the center of gravity back about 20mm to get the prop a little deeper.

I have also made up some new props to try bassically I have a x435 and x438 to try out I think the x438 will be tolarge but i have high hopes for the x435.

There is only one problem now. Im kinda scarred of crashing or having somthing else go wrong. I have a reoccuring nightmare that the servo will glitch at top speed and throw my boat into another barrel role.

This time I will make sure everything is on film cause if it dies again I will be giving up and will want somthing to remember the moment.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:13 AM
SV27dayton

I have now filled every spare corrner of the hull with polystyrene (no more sinking) and to get a perfect seal arount the loose fitting hatch I filled the whole join with clear silicone let the hatch bond to the hull for 2 days, then ran a hobby knife around the hatch. I now have a perfectly molded water tight hatch with silicone edges.
I was thinking of doing this as well! I'll be intrested in knowing how it works.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Orange Crush

If you do, consider covering one of the surfaces with saran wrap or even wax paper.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 AM
dmanning

Well everyone this is the result of rebuilding my boat. The skegs work great, they make it heaps more stable in corners and can now do little 180's.
The prop that ended up giving me my new top speed is an x435. As you can see its got some good speed to it now. However it did have a little bit of wind assist, it was a very windy day when i took the video. I ended up cuting the audio out of the video as all you get is 1 min of windy static.

The silicone around the hatch also works great after 6 min of running in windy splashy conditions, I didnt have a single drop of water inside the hull.

Ive also calculated from the video that the boat is now doing approximatly 48kph, or 30Mph for the non metric people

So let me know what you all think.

http://media.putfile.com/Brushless-Sunstorm-Rebuilt-25
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Dmanning, Nice job. I would like to see some pics of the skegs on the boat.

Is there an easy way to post a link to google earth with out having to post the link to another site?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 PM
dmanning

Here are some pics of the Skegs.

I dont know about the google earth links that was the only way I could work out how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80176.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	629032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82796.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	629033  
Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Wheelnut

Oh,Ok, I thought those were strakes. I thought you meant something else, like running pads to lift the boat out of the water to give you a better flat spot for plaining.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:36 AM
noddywa

HI..and well done !!
another break through !!

If man didn't dare to break the barriers of speed and sound and technology where would we all be today !! hmmm a radio controlled tree trunk !!

just remember who dares wins and I'm not ( ) oopppsss what's his name ??
would Einstien have given up ??
would thomas Edison have given up ??
people always rember your failures for some reason and your best moments seem short lived
Human nature !!
if we all gave up where would we be !!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: noddywa

HI..and well done !!
another break through !!

If man didn't dare to break the barriers of speed and sound and technology where would we all be today !! hmmm a radio controlled tree trunk !!

just remember who dares wins and I'm not ( ) oopppsss what's his name ??
would Einstien have given up ??
would thomas Edison have given up ??
people always rember your failures for some reason and your best moments seem short lived
Human nature !!
if we all gave up where would we be !!
Are you ok? you guys in Ausie sure have a strange way, or is it just you. It's like you are on some vendetta or something.

The best way to prove a point is to go out and do something spectacular yourself.
Here is one of my Successful mods that alot of guys thought was impossible,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5193303

Your turn, we want to see you make a good running NQD, prove us all wrong and go make a NQD, a nice running boat for cheap. good luck