Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

what is best glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

what is best glue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
kevinle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is best glue?

Hi all, what is best glue to build those abs plastic hydroplane if i get the unbuild kit from BBYracing, last time i used super glue and its gave me really hard time to holding, i need something dry fast and good seal too.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what is best glue?

I think you need the gel. I seriously just get my CA glue at home depot, they have quite a selection, small bottles but theyre pretty cheap. I believe the gel CA comes in a green capped tube if you go there. It isnt runny like normal super glue, but essentially the same stuff. Make sure you look at all of them there, there are good deals and ones trying to rip you off.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Thanks Quicksilver,
That was seriously weird timing. I was just out of CA glue and it is very expensive at my LHS so I was looking online to try and find it cheaper. But thanks to you I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to check it out.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Quicksilver1

no problem, it should be by the paint section, with other glues and epoxy. I admit I use the epoxy sometimes too.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Hello what hydro do you have ?
Also do not buy ZAP CA . i have had it and it sucks every time i buy it( don't know why i do )
I use INSTA_CURE
I buy about 10 bottles at a time and get a deal . It ends up to be about 4 bucks a bottle ( CND [ so like 3.50 for u guys ])
I have 2 bottles of this left and plan to guy and buy another case.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Wheelnut

How many oz to a bottle? and where do you buy it?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 PM
CadillacDTS2001

1 OZ and at my LHS
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Wheelnut

$3.50 for 1oz. Not me, I won't pay that. I use CA glue that goes for around $3.50 for 3 oz and has never given me a problem.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 AM
kevinle

is CA glue and super glue are the same??? i thought super glue they dont work in water, have anyone heard about Gozilla glue, they selling it on most of cars magazine, i also saw them at Home depot, anyone used them b4, its said best glue on earth, best for metal plastic... etc, and can use in water.
Taylor Shawn, i have that hydro SS from BBY b4 and i almost mess it up with superglue and silicone
Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 AM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: kevinle

is CA glue and super glue are the same??? i thought super glue they dont work in water, have anyone heard about Gozilla glue, they selling it on most of cars magazine, i also saw them at Home depot, anyone used them b4, its said best glue on earth, best for metal plastic... etc, and can use in water.
Taylor Shawn, i have that hydro SS from BBY b4 and i almost mess it up with superglue and silicone
Shaw.....
Also Most of Randy's boat need to be tacked in place with the ting CA glue and then put Ca all around the deck and underside of the hull.
I use CA to tack it and then fiberglass spoxy to bond the deck and hull. But you can use CA glue.
Just go for the CA glue. I mean what is 4 buck for one bottle and knowing that it is the right glue for the job.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Quicksilver1

CA and super glue are the same gorilla is not
Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Nope not even close.
gorilla does not cure with in seconds. More like 10 hours and this stuff expands and foams up unlike CA
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 PM
alloutcustom

my friends have used epoxy, what kind should i get? or does it add too much weight?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Taylor Shaw

Nope not even close.
gorilla does not cure with in seconds. More like 10 hours and this stuff expands and foams up unlike CA
Quicksilver said CA and Super glue are the same and that Gorilla glue is not the same as CA.
So are you saying that CA and Super glue are not the same?
PS. I was at Home Depot today and the attendant said he had never heard of CA glue (suprise) and we both looked and couldn't find any. Quicksilver, when you said you get your CA at Homedepot were you talking about Super Glue?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Taylor Shaw

Nope not even close.
Quicksilver said CA and Super glue are the same and that Gorilla glue is not the same as CA.
So are you saying that CA and Super glue are not the same?
PS. I was at Home Depot today and the attendant said he had never heard of CA glue (suprise) and we both looked and couldn't find any. Quicksilver, when you said you get your CA at Homedepot were you talking about Super Glue?
oh LOL. my head was in the gutter and i wasn't wearing my contacts ~!~
Ca clue is cyanocrylate. But i don't think they will know what that is . So just ask for super glue. Most times they come in very small bottles, that is why you buy Ca to get a large amount And also CA glue has better strength and is better the super glue.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
alloutcustom

if u want really cheap stuff for $0.45 that might not work get this
[link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory= 127]Glue[/link]
sounds convincing huh?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Wheelnut

I was checking it out but it doesn't say how much is in the bottle. But that is pretty cheap unless its .0001 oz. then it is expensive
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Quicksilver1

ok, I think we are arguing over terminology. Super Glue the brand comes in tiny bottles, but it's still CA. However, at my home depot at least, if that bothers you, you can buy a 12 pack of Super glue (CA) for like 5 bucks, which isn't bad, because you can use a bottle and chuck it, you dont have to mess with unclogging a big bottle. Not to say that this is the best glue for everything, taylor is right that super glue isnt the best solution, but I would say it is an excellent alternative if your in a pinch.

Most Super glues only come in one thickness....thin. If you buy hobby grade CA, you can get all kinds of thicknesses. For my current project, home depot has provided all the glue and epoxy. I must say it has impressed me, it's Loctite brand(both the CA abnd epoxy) so I trust it. When I needed thicker glue I bought a couple 2 packs of the Loctite gel CA(from Home depot).

Again Dont buy anything that isnt labeled Super Glue, CA, or cyanocrylate. Anything else might not be CA, like gorilla glue, which definitely is not. I might be wrong, but I'd swear they dont label things cyanocrylate or CA at places like home depot, because of what people used to use CA for.....getting high.. So they call it Super Glue, hiding what it is. Most consumers, dont know things we do and just buy glue based on what the package says, not what they exactly need.

So wheel nut, if you go back, ask where the super glue is. Like I said before in my home depot it's next to the paint department, with epoxy, fiberglass cloth and other adhesives. I'm sorry you got confused. Remember it probably wont say CA on it at all.

Get this, I went there for the first time for epoxy and glass and the guy says "what is fiberglass? I've never heard of that".......are you freaking kidding me.... I even explain, boats are made out of it. I left and later came back and found it on my own.

For any doubters

"Super glue deserves its name -- a single drop can permanently join your thumb to your index finger faster than you can say "Whoops," and a 1-square-inch bond can hold more than a ton. So how does this remarkable substance work? The answer lies in its main ingredient, cyanoacrylate (C5H5NO2, for you chemistry buffs).

Cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin that cures (forms its strongest bond) almost instantly. The only trigger it requires is the hydroxyl ions in water, which is convenient since virtually any object you might wish to glue will have at least trace amounts of water on its surface. "

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm

ok, now I'm tired
Old 02-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks for the info. I found the super glue and bought some anyway while I was looking for the CA glue. So, that clears it up.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
alloutcustom

i think they have either 3 or 5 packs at the dollar store for u dudes trying to save money

ohh that ca glue i posted was 1oz per bottle, that site is just a discount site