Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Ordered 2 BBY Advanced Kits!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Ordered 2 BBY Advanced Kits!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered 2 BBY Advanced Kits!!!

Yo dudes. I know I post a lot about boats. Most times, I go onto something else. Well this time, I had been looking and wanting, and I decided to buy a couple of inexpesive FE kits to play with this summer.
I have never built a boat before. So I wanted all my parts to be there. Kits. BBY looked to be the ticket.

I ordered 2 kits from BBY. The first is a "Volcanic Splash" 6-8 cell hydro. I ordered the advanced kit so all I have to add is radio gear and I am all set.

The second kit I ordered was a "Oval Master Offshore" mono Advanced kit. Same thing, all I need is radio gear.

I have always had a liking for FE's. I wanted to build a boat or 2 this winter and I was leaning twords a gasser, but I love the no fuss and speed of electrics.

Just thaught I would shout this out and see what ya'll thaught and see if anyone had and experiance with either one. Plus all I ever read about BBY is how good there stuff is. Not even quite sure what motor and ESC comes with either one but again, I here they hook them up for what you pay. I think they will be fun kits. Anyone got them? Either one? thaughts on either one?

http://www.bbyracing.com/elecmonohulls.asp

http://www.bbyracing.com/elechydrohulls.asp

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
CadillacDTS2001

Default RE: Ordered 2 BBY Advanced Kits!!!

cool.
I just bought a BBY V splash for tooling around at my scale boat club. I'm post pictures if you like.
My boat was made over 15 years ago and sat in a closet ever since 6 days ago.
also chances are it comes with these motors and esc's listed here because he sells then ( brushed ones )
http://www.bbyracing.com/elecacc.asp
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Now thats how it should be done. Offer it up in alot of different flavors. hull kit, Race Basic Kit, etc... etc... But I think it is a little too pricey. That must be a serious race set up.
Once again here is the same old problem. There really is no in between. It's ether way too expensive for the sport modeler or too cheap and full of crappy parts. The SV27 came the closest. They just didn't follow through when it came down to taking care of the details/problems that the users were having. And the manufacturing is way too inconsistent.
I think BBY is offering up the best choices for the serious modelers that have the time and patience to build what suites their needs. But for guys like me who don't have that kind of time or experience, they don't offer a good middle of the road ARR. That my friends is the story of my life, NOT CATERED TO. So unfortunately the SV27 was the best choice for me. I got lucky and the hull is in good shape and I can always upgrade it a little at a time while still learning and having fun and I think that is what its all about for the most of us. Taylor I know guys like you who have made boats your life don't fit into the class I am talking about.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
CadillacDTS2001

Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
GregS

I'm presently building the BBY Oval Master 26. Since this is my first build it's hard to compare the kit to other kits. It takes some time and patience but it is a very rewarding experience to build something yourself. It's at least half the fun of this hobby for me if not more.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Traxfan

That's an awesome boat. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks guys!!! I got an e-mail from randy. He said and I quote. "I hand build the boats and I will be fit and finishing your two boats over the next few weeks". Now thats what I like to here!!!

I asked him about brushless setups. I asked for a fairly inexpensive reccomendation for each boat. I know I will make one of them brushless, but if the price is right then I will make them both brushless. If I do one I think I will do the Volcanic Spash hydro.

Yeah, nice pics!!! That you EyeKandy? I'm kinda nervous....I have never build a boat, and I see that I am going to have to join the hulls....and glue them...hmmmm Don't get me wrong, it looks like fun....thats why I am doing it....But I don't wanna screw it up.

Wheelnut...I am a believer in you you get what you pay for. It's not cheap, but I think my money is going to be well spent. I don't race, just for fun. Most times I run alone and I just like FE's. Also, they do have some ARR. Randy can have it built and ARR when it comes to you.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Hello
Yes its me eyekandy ! and will always be
Any how. I have the BBY V splash just for playing around. there is not that much room in the hull thats for sure. Maybe like 8 cells MAX.
But it is a very good boat thats for sure.
Also i just bought a scat cat 21 ( that makes 4 of Randy's boats )
That i am going to run a 9 XL on 12 cells. Hopefully it will fly.
and i might put a lehner motor in the BBY V splash.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
FE_Chris

sounds good kandyman. I plan to run 6 cells in the spalsh...and I am pretty sure the oval master offshore is a 12 cell boat.

I hope randy comes back and says that for a couple hundred more bucks he can make both boats brushless....i'll be in brushless boat heaven

Man I am excited....watchout ron olson!!! At this years "mark scott K-zoo fun run" I am gonna knock the props off yer nitro boats!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Lol i have been trying to convince Ron to go electric this year But he is to suborn. Maybe when he learns a little 6 cell boat can beat a .12 nitro
Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

I have had one of his LSH hydros with a brushless setup with 12 cells and the thing would absolutely fly and handled fine,the only thing I will tell you is call Randy and askhim how he mounts the wing at what degree and all.That is if you are going to run the wing I just put mine on just by eyeballing it and it really messed up the handling of the boat,just a heads up.Randy make some great products
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks gas freak....

yeah ron likes his nitro's. Maybe when I hand it to him with a 249$ SV27 he'll think otherwise I figured he would have posted by now to hastle me lol where you at ron?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
FE_Chris

Just got a e-mail back from randy at BBY. He says he has been using a Mamba Max 5700 combo in both boats and both are ROCKETS. He can include one Mamba Combo for a upgrade price of 150$

The stock ESC is a RC Hydros Victory 60Amp 6-12 cell ESC.....Sounds pretty nice.......

Stock motors are LRP 14T mod motors.....

Whatcha think? I want to order one brushless system. So one will be brushed and the other brushless. Which one would you guys order to have setup for the BL system? I want the brushless system in the fastest boat.....I would think the Splash would be faster with the Mamba 5700 combo...... Thaughts? Kandyman!!!!!???
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
CadillacDTS2001

yeah go for the mamba Max. . its good just don't go over 6 cell in the boat
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM
FE_Chris

I am doing the mamba max 5700 motor, and a Cuda 80 ESC. Should fly, should it not?

Why no more than 6 cells in the Splash? I am sure it's gonna fly on 6, but trying 8 is 1/2 the fun
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 PM
CadillacDTS2001

the motor is a very Hot motor.
Its a 5700KV motor any more and you will just do the motor No good.
5700 KV is about as much KV as a SAW boat has on 6 cells. It will sure rip but i do not recommend going over 8 cells with it at all
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
FE_Chris

So either boat should haul? The Oval master I ordered is 21" inches I do not know if I said that. I of course plan on trying my BL setup in that one too. Part of the reason I am glad I got 2 boats that share batteries and gear.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taylor Shaw

Lol i have been trying to convince Ron to go electric this year But he is to suborn. Maybe when he learns a little 6 cell boat can beat a .12 nitro
It's not all about speed there Taylor

I saw Taylor's Splash and it looks great. The wing makes all the difference in the world. Good luck with the purchase DodamissC. Make sure you wrap some serious power in to it and all should be well.

I really like the looks of the Unlimited Light UL1 from BBY. It also looks similar to the Splash.

Ryan
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks ryan...You know, I like the looks of all there boats!!!! I think as long as all goes well, and if I like the hydro enough, I will go with a 12-18 cell hydro next time around. I like the looks and wanna try one, so I decided the 6 cell was gonna be the best for me and my budget.

I'm hoping I can get atleast 40MPH out of one of these boats. Hoping the Mamba Max will do it. If I could get the splash to break 40 with this setup I would be freakin out!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
CadillacDTS2001

the OM21 is a N2 boat . and a great N2 boat.
In either boats you don't want to run over 8 cells regardless of the poer.
in the splash hull you will not be able to fut 12 cells. and the OM21 you might But you will be floating. . . just barely.
40mph will not come with the mamba Max considering the fastest N2 mono only does 35 ish.
good luck. Your thinking to far ahead. You ordered two 6 cell boats. So stay with 6 cells.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks taylor....I was not sure how fast they would be. Still, I like the idea of them. If I can get 30MPH out of a boat that fast then that will nice speed.

This is what he told me...

"I think for the money the 5700 with B80 SC(+170$) in the OM21 OS is the best bang for the buck. In the VS the same thing is good. To have better it would take a lot more expensive setup. I ran 57MPH on 6 cells in the VS with a Barracuda 125 and a NEU 1509 1D this is a $289.00 upgrade.
Randy
BBY"

and now that I am spending this much I think maybe this 57MPH setup is gonna be worth my extra 120$ bucks to make the motor upgrade cost 289$ total. Taylor, whatcha think. I got the cash....I just don't wanna go overboard. Also, I can handle fast RC's, and I have had boats up to 38MPH. So I do not think driving skill is a reason not to upgrade. I am confident....I just don't wanna get a 300$ 6 cell setup and have it melt my IB3800 6 cell packs.

PS - I was thinking I would buy some cells to make a 8 cell pack just to test out sometime....I plan on running 6 cell's for normal use.

You guys rock. Thanks for letting me pick your brains.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
CadillacDTS2001

well go for it.
Just remember the 57mph was with a professional setup
with a advanced kit you need to build it all.
Persoanly i would stay with the mamba. Smaller boats that go fast are kinda squirly.
But its up to you.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 AM
tunda

I have 2 BBY boats 29 oval master nemeis 9xl hacker77 on 12 cells. Micro Cat feigao 380 12s on 8cells. I love my BBY boats Randy is a great guy to deal with you wont be dissapointed....My oval master turns on its rails its pretty amaizing and eats the chop like no tomorow...Im selling the micro cat though need to fund my new project N2 mono....
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
danitolaboy

Hi I just ordered 1 32 scat cat from randy at bby . Customer service is awesome cant wait to get my boat.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
FE_Chris

Thanks for the good words guys. I appreciate it.

I decided to stay with the Mamba motor and cuda 80 ESC.....Mostly cause I baught this tonight This summer is gonna be great!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0096&rd=1&rd=1

Figured this way i'll be set. Now I have 2 12+ cell mono's and 2 6 cell boats [8D]