Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

To NQD or not to NQD that is the question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

To NQD or not to NQD that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To NQD or not to NQD that is the question

ORIGINAL: noddywa

Hi Wheelnut...someone once said if you can't say something nice don't say it at all

..but I have to ask where did you start off from something budget or high priced ??
My first boat was a SW26. It was fun for the first 10 minutes of play. Then, like all RC Modelers, I wanted it to go faster and I did some mods and I burned up a motor, an ESC and some batteries. I quickly learned that the boat wasn't designed to be all that. And like you, I was trying to save money. For my next boat I bought a Traxxas Villain EX, thinking it would be fast enough for me. I soon learned it was twice as expensive to upgrade and I also learned of the inherent problems of steerable outdrives. known in RCU as strudders. My next boat was by far a much better boat and a great leap forward for me in my RC lessons. It was the Aquajet Extreme from www.offshoreelectrics.com. I paid $279.00 for it ARR. because I already had a nice radio. That $279.00 was not easy for me to come by, but you know what, I was much happier with it than I had been with any other boat I had yet and I was content until the Aquacraft SV27 came out. I sold my Aquajet Extreme to buy the SV27. After a little trouble with the motor, I am very happy with it. I am just trying to help you not make the same mistakes I made and that some others have made by buying EBay Junk. Here are some videos of some if my projects, take note of the Kyosho Brushless experiment that was a disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MTLnYqvEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g24ZR28F4FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFgke5_oP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9Ics-gajs

If you are really trying to save some money, then you are going about it the wrong way. It will cost you more in the long run to get a cheap boat and try to make it a SPEED ELECTRIC boat.
It is a totally different thing to take a cheap boat and try to make it fast just to see if it can be done. Thats more of an experiment than trying to save money.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
magnat

When it all boils down to it. If You buy NQD you have to be happy with its social boat performance as spending funding in making it go faster is like spending money on Lada and expect it to perform like a BMW.

For Future reference : Running the 2700mah Battery on the Atlantio did improve performance but caused the stock electrics start to smoke...I suppose its the Atlantio's Enclosed Hull design thats more to blame then the current as it keeps the Heat in..

The Atlantio is a fun boat but don't expect it to run quick as it will get too Heavy when upgrading it to larger motors and proper RC Gear .. I know because I tried changing it from The Stock Vector steering to an Even quicker Vector Steering model and the results were dissasterous..

If You after a good reliable Boat , look at the CEN Aquajet.. I did and I am not looking back..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Woodmandan2

I have an nQD boat, and mine i put in a stick pack 1500 and it went boom. my brother had an nqd, broke in 2 weeks. your gonna be alot happier if you buy somthing brand name.
Dan
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
dirtysouth31

i had the speedstorm and used it as a recovery boat for my other ones..i pulled in shockwave 55 ss,and the v-24 and riggers and well you get the point..you get what you pay for,bottom line....you dont buy one for speed you buy one to abuse.when you get bored and start looking for something to do than you pull out the nqd and just have fun with it..it isnt fast but i had fun with mine...if you have been in the hobby than most likely you have extra stuff laying around to switch out gear for better..who cares if it aint the fastest on the block.have fun with the hobby[8D]i have an extra servo laying around,couple of aquacraft radios,a speed control and an extra brushless supervee motor.ill buy this one to just play around with and when i want spped ill pull out my rigger
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
dirtysouth31

heres my fast one[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36661.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	633212  
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

dirtysouth31, at least it isn't the new electric outrigger from NQD!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 AM
noddywa

Hi All
keep comming with those ideas, with todays technology anything is possible with the motors, batteries and speed controllers..

some people would rather trial new ideas on the cheaper boats rather than a new expensive boats
this is how some of those ideas came about..
everyday somewhere in the world someone is proving it can be done with the right combination of technology did Edison give up on the light globe , the first telephone , the first car or plane with some effort and failures and wins I'm sure it could be done...

We have the technology to make it better, bigger , faster , anyone got 40 million !!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hardly know how to say this. I'm talking to the folks that have upgraded their NQD boats. How much did you end up spending after it was all said and done? Reason I ask; people here are saying us nay sayers are loaded and have money to burn. I disagree, at least with me, however I would never buy an NQD.

Lets put it this way my jet boat I'm building now, so far has only cost me about 175$, but it's a brushless setup and I buy parts one at a time or I make the parts. I'll spill the beans here, I work as a bellman/valet at a hotel and a deli clerk and yet I manage to spend 400-500$ on a boat after it's completed. I'll also add I dont live with my parents, I live with my fiance. Now I dont mean I actually spend that much, because I'm a pack rat and scrounge for every part I can imagine. Once you buy a good radio, good esc and a good charger, it's not difficult to build a great boat.

You just transfer parts as you go along. With this in mind, it just seems logical to buy hulls and stop messing with low grade ebay boats, seriously no offense. I'm just trying to understand this. I cannot imagine taking a low grade plastic boat and throwing a brushless system and all that in it. I'd rather spend a 100$ on a hull and take my time building it.

I'm sure I'm not going to change opinions, but I wanted you all to know I not some heartless rich *******( I can't believe that gets bleeped, a heartless, fatherless child.......is that better), I deal with those on a daily basis. Today I worked 8 hours at the deli and then sat at the hotel for another 6 hours, parking peoples BMW's. Your not alone, but I think a lot of it has to do with passion for the hobby and also commitment. I sit for like 10 minutes before I can press that buy button on offshore electrics, but then my fiance says, just do it, you know you wont be happy if you don't.

edit: after clearing my mind, I dont care, do what you want, I'm weird too(me and my jets). I will continue to help build crappy NQD boats.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
misshydro

Go find a 100 dollars hull.All the hulls you guys said and I'd looked are 150-200 dollars.I like to know what plannet your from?Plus those hull are fiberglass ones.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 AM
noddywa

HI,,,I understand your point , but some of us aren't so lucky !! in some countries unless you buy from ebay or a good online hobbie shop some items are just too expensive, to buy here in OZ ,,as I like large scale items
Here in australia they can be quite expensive and importing from the us or another country you have customs and other taxes to worry about , and if customs don't like what you have purchased they can confiscate the item and have it destroyed or damage it so it won't work at all, each country and customs have their own rules !!
So you see it's once again about choice and cost ,something in the USA that would cost 100 dollars, may cost 200 - 300 dollars here in Australia if purchased from a hobby shop or in another country !!
So once again it's about the cost and choice that we have and some of us aren't as lucky as you or other people are so we do the best with what we can and what we have !!
Noddywa
Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Quicksilver1

well, I didnt buy a offshore hull, but it's higher quality abs than any ebay boat.I bought my battery equiptment from offshore, my brushless motor, my 700sc motor and other accessories. My hull and jetdrive cost me 90 dollars and only that much out of appreciation for a certain person setting up the deal, but it was selling for 75......mind you drive included, in fact the best drive for the application. Deals can be found, but on ebay, to me there arent many great deals, theyre out there, but more scams than deals. I think it was fine desin that had some good deal on non-glass hulls. Also you can build your own hull. I'd do it, but I dont like getting that involved, I just dont have the time. However balsa is cheap and so is fiberglass(relatively).
Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Quicksilver1

wow, I didnt know it was like that in Australia. I admit I do not know that much about your country. I always thought it was much like GB at least in culture(somewhat) and economy. I can fully understand then. It's kind of like that here, it's pretty tough to get things from europe here. Is it tought to important from there?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
noddywa

Hi All
Ok !! lets calm down abit here, once again getting a little out of hand and off the topic at hand,,
as I said before some of us are learning and some the hard way , but still want to have some fun as well ,, if you don't like this topic, don't bother with your two cent's worth go somewhere else otherwise if you do have any ideas on running gear let us know !!
Like most products and I do say MOST have their lemons as the real cars we drive such as holden or ford for eg,,,but this is not for this post/thread ,,so please think of what your going to say before you type here...
anyway let's keep this fun
PS if in doubt please read the red writting above when you or if you decide to post a reply here !!!
PLEASE keep this fun
thanks noddywa
Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Quicksilver1

alrighty then I really offended you with my questions.....tough crowd, guess it's your way or the highway. I thought I was pretty damn honest and had reasonable questions and reasonable replies. If you do not wish to talk peacefully I will leave. I'm seriously holding my tongue so much I want to scream.....I dont know what I said, I was going to delete my replies just now, but heck theyre for all to see.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:53 AM
noddywa

HI quicksilver ...
People and economy may be similar in some ways for eg renting a house here can range from 150.00 - around 1000.00 + per week,,but any way back to the topic at hand ,,
the choice of batteries are enormous as well as the speed controllers ( electronic ) and recievers
however I'm one for overkill at times and prefer this ...better be safe than sorry I guess..if someone suggested a 50amp esc I would go for an 80amp etc ....
but bigger isn't always better they say...
anyway have fun and if you hear of anything useful let us know
Noddy wa
Old 03-03-2007, 01:53 AM
misshydro

Like I'd said before you can build a buget NQD to go fast!,If its done right! I have the 550 johnsons new for 10 dollars,but I want to get/find two 800.I have the radio and a miss vegas rudder to put on it.You can use some of the vegas parts on it!! there the same size boats!! part for the vegas are cheap to buy from towerhobby!!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Quicksilver1

I s there a time lapse or something. I feel like I or we are bipolar
Old 03-03-2007, 01:58 AM
aussiebud

being from australia as well (duh [:-]) i can say i know where he's coming from
i think the 1/12 pro boat bud here is approx 600AUD with a lil .15 nitro engine
that said i won't bother playing with the NQD boats as i'd rather put that $40 for an upgradable hull into a set of newton plans and build a 1/8th scale of the boat i really want
as for the pro boat i reckon my 1/8 scale miss "bud" (73 miss budweiser) will cost about the same with a .67 motor and i know i don't have to upgrade everything inside it

if ppl wanna buy one of these things then so be it but i won't be joining the ranks
Old 03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
noddywa

HI..it's not so much,, that it might be taken the wrong way in reading what has been said...
I live a nowhere town...people are willing to spend money but !! for 100.00 they want for eg a Nitro boat for the price of an electric boat ...picture a little clear now
noddywa
Old 03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
misshydro

I was typing proubly when you guys where repling before me.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:03 AM
noddywa

HI..it's 4.05 pm here ..sat 3/2/2007
Old 03-03-2007, 02:04 AM
noddywa

HI Misshydro ..sorry about that ..
ok !! where where you upto !!
and welcome back
Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Quicksilver1

ORIGINAL: noddywa

HI..it's 4.05 pm here ..sat 3/2/2007

yeah see here, it's 2:05a.m. saturday morning. So your in the future, that's why nothing makes sense to me and you thought I said something horrible
Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 AM
noddywa

Hi..
We Cool ..!!
Noddywa
ok lets have some fun now !!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:32 AM
misshydro

Been pming Ron about that t pluss that on ebay for 151 for the hull kit,its electric made buy dpi. I might be getting two more Miss Bud style hulls,I hope! then I would be up to six boats and one of them will get a electric conversion!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.