Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

hi
anyone tell me how to wiring two motors into one speed control thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Orange Crush

Default RE: wiring

I think more information would be needed here. What speed control, what (2) motors and maybe even what application (boat/drive system/batteries)
Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I am pretty sure the motors need to be wired in a parallel circuit. The question is usually to wire the batteries in series or parallel. If you wire the batteries in parallel then it will double the run time/mah but the voltage will be the same as one pack. If you wire batteries in series then it will double the voltage but the mah/runtime will be the same as one pack. .
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, to add to that only brushed motors can be branched off of one esc. If you are running 2 BL motors, 2 ESC's are required

Ryan
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 AM
misshydro

Not realy the traxxas villian has one esc with two motors and it's 14.4 volts!Plus I'd saw a brushless boat with one speed control with two motors.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:43 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The traxxas is brushed. I've seen people run two BL motors off one ESC, it's wrong. An ESC can only keep one motor in time at once.

Ryan
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 PM
misshydro

depends on what maker/brand you get.I do see there brushless esc that can hand two motors.They do make them.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
LtDoc

rye,
There are two basic ways of wirring two motors to one ESC. One way is to wire the motors in series, the (-) of the first motor going to the (+) of the second. The (+) of the first motor and the (-) of the second motor going to the ESC. Wouldn't recomend that except for special circumstances. The second way is to wire the two motors in parallel. And there's a "but" to that. If you want both props turning in the same direction then put the (+) of both motors together, and the (-) of both motors together. Then the combined (+)'s and combined (-)'s going to the ESC. If you want the props counter rotating then swap the (+) and (-) of one motor. The (+) of motor one to the (-) of motor 2, and the (-) of motor one to the (+) of motor two, then to the ESC as before. (Putting it into words is worse than doing it!)
- 'Doc
Old 03-03-2007, 04:48 PM
rye

thanks guys i got it i did the - of one to + of the other and i am using a sc-480 from
http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...roducts_id=122
he said it will handle two motors 900 xxl viper thanks rye
Old 03-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with old old version of my villain, I had the motors in series, mainly because I thought less wire=better. Didn't have any problems.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 AM
rye

hi lt doc
ok now that i got the wiring down now i need a on-off switch where do i put it and do i use the radio switch that came with the rsdio or a switch from radio shack i am using a speed control as i said before and two 900 xxl viper motors and a 7 amp gel cell battery thanks rye
Old 03-04-2007, 09:14 AM
LtDoc

rye,
That sort of depends (just like the diaper). If your ESC has an on/off switch, that will work. But if so, you should also unplug the battery. If no ESC on/off switch then you always have the option of putting a switch in one of the battery wires. You can do that even with the ESC switch, just remember to trun both on, you know? Switch or no switch, when you're finished with the boat, remove/disonnect the battery. Good habit to get into. The only really 'bad' part of it is don't loose the @#$ battery if you remove it.
- 'Doc
Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 AM
rye

thanks doc for your help rye