Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

reef racer 2 mod list

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

reef racer 2 mod list

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Darkseacret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reef racer 2 mod list

i just got a rr2 for some wave riding at the beach can you help me squeeze the most out of this deal . what type of better batterypack will work and can I go with a hotter motor with the stock speed controler. any help would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: reef racer 2 mod list

Try to put a battery pack that has one more cell in it than the stock one. That will be a decent boost.
I hate to be a party pooper, but you would have had alot more fun with the CEN Wave shark and its not alot more money.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Darkseacret

i have the wave shark nitro and want to set it up with a electric conversion with maybe a deal from off shore not sure if the nitro hull will take a elactric set up . i got the rr2 for instant water tight fun but the cen hull has been great but nitro and 2-3' wave are no good combo will most any small 8 cell batt. work if it fits?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

The nitro version can definitely be converted to electric. Its the same hull, just with different hardware.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
craigm1
My Feedback: (1)

I just received a reef racer 2 for my birthday. I knew when I ordered it that it didn't have reverse but I was wondering if anybody knows of a good, inexpensive receiver/esc combo that could be used in place of the stock receiver/esc? I'd like to try to use the stock transmitter to keep the cost down.
Also, there has been some discussion about using a 7 cell battery in the reef racer 2. What about an 8 cell battery? What are the specs on the stock esc and how long would the esc and motor last with this setup?
Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
ctonez

the mini-V ESC/reciever is a good match and can handle more upgrades.
[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB1087[/link]

45 bucks though...ouch. I found a cheap traxxas esc and an old hitec reciever and use those in one of my RR2's.
The most difficult obstacle to overcome when upgrading the ReefRacer2 is the center of gravity IMO.

The motor placement makes the nose want to plant itself and submarine at high speeds (higher than stock). I suggest you keep the weight as far back as possible when placing larger packs. I have cut mine up significantly to try to set the boat up better, but with limited success.

In my experience 8 cells stresses the ESC too much, so test a bit, then check temps.
I also tape my RR2's up...even though it doesn't seem like they need it, I've learned my lesson too many times...take the time to tape the hatch as well as securing the decklids.
check this to read about my lesson...
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5998549/anchors_5998549/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5998549[/link]

Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
craigm1
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the mini-v receiver is compatible with my transmitter? Do I have to buy a crystal to match?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM
ctonez

I'll look tonight after work...I think there is a crystal though. I'll try setting up my miniV with my stock RR radio and see what I find out...