Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

It's dead, but what died?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

It's dead, but what died?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Staper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's dead, but what died?

I recently purchased a lightly used Hammer EP from the RCU market. I received it on Thursday and took it out for a trial run. The water was a bit choppy but the boat ran like a champ, although I did notice there wasn't a lot of water coming out the cooling output hole. I thought it may be because of the choppy water.

Any way I took the boat up to the lake this weekend and was having a blast. I got to consecutive runs with the proper cool down time between. I still noticed that there wasn't much water exiting the cooling output, but the motor never seemed overly hot after the runs. Then later in the afternoon after I recharged my battery packs I took it out for a third run. The boat got a little glitchy (both steering and throttle) and then it just quit. When I retrieved the boat I noticed that the rudder still responded to the transmitter, but the prop did not.

My question is how do I diagnose the problem? I assume it must be either the ESC or the motor, but how do I determine which one it the problem? Can I try powering the motor directly from the battery pack as a test? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It's dead, but what died?

First I would check the radio, try plugging the steering servo into the port for the esc to make sure both channels work properly. From there, I would check the esc, using a voltmeter, check for voltage to the motor. Oh yeah and check the batteries, might want to do that first,
Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Yes you can put voltage straight to the motor for a quick test. If it does't run then you have a fried motor. But it is unlikely. I am betting you have the proboat esc in there. I have heard of some troubles with those esc's.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Staper

Well it looks like your hunch is correct. When I put power direct to the motor it runs, so my guess is that the ESC is the problem. I have not verified that I have the Proboat ESC because I can't get the radio box cover off, as one of the screws has stripped [:@]

I'll work more on that in the next day or two. Any suggestions for 1) A new ESC and 2) where to find replacement screws small enough for the darn radio box cover? I tried the local big box home improvement stores without success. I am thinking a craft store, LHS, or good old Radio Shack as sources for the screws.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Staper

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

First I would check the radio, try plugging the steering servo into the port for the esc to make sure both channels work properly. From there, I would check the esc, using a voltmeter, check for voltage to the motor. Oh yeah and check the batteries, might want to do that first,
Thank you! I will follow your suggestions once I get the radio box cover off.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
SV27dayton

First I would check the radio, try plugging the steering servo into the port for the esc to make sure both channels work properly.
That's a likely one. You said both steering and throttle were acting weird. That could be a wet reciever or loose connectors. You may find some water in that box.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Staper

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you. No progress on getting the stripped screws off the radio cover to do any further investigation. But in the process of corresponding with Hobbico, the have offered to ship me a new ESC and two replacement screws. They were a little slow in responding, but I was very pleased with their customer service, and their willingness to support their product.