Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

brushless conversion for kyosho boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

brushless conversion for kyosho boat

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:42 PM
bry14661

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless conversion for kyosho boat

i have a small plastic kyosho s 7 boat that runs brushed motors right now. ide like to switch it over to brushless and get about 40mph or so for cheap. it seems that the helicopter 3500kv brushless motors are cheap. would that power something like this to 40 with a few 3s 2200mah batteries?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: brushless conversion for kyosho boat

40 mph is high for any boat, but making a toy go 40mph is much harder. I would shoot for under 30mph......but I dont know what your boat looks like nor its size.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
pompebled

Hi bry14661,

Without knowing what Kyosho boat you are referring to, it's hard to say how fast you will get it to go, do you have a picture, or a link.
A picture from the side, showing the keelline would be nice.

Personally I think what you're aiming for is way to fast, because most Kyosho boats (like the Airstreak, Blue Streak, and it's smaller brother) all have a rocker in the keelline.
I've tried to make these boats faster, but when you aproach the designed speed (with the stock motor and prop) the hull starts to porpoise, go faster and it will leave the water completely, jumping like mad, totally uncontrolable...

With a lighter motor and batterypack you'll cross this line even quicker.

I'd get a better designed hull for those components.

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM
bry14661

the boat is the kyosho bladerunner http://www.fastelectrics.com/bladerunner.htm and this guy set his up with a brushed motor and some body mods to get it in the low 30s. i would like to at least match that. but heres the thing. i am able to get a 3550kv motor and 30A ESC new for $50. will this run this boat fast? the boat only weights about 1 pound with everything except the battery and motor in it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 PM
headhunter23

Uhhh... I ran a motor similar to this with a 24" boat, only ran 22mph with 4 lipo cells. rpm wise I would say stay under 2k per volt(otherwise the torque isn't enuff, unless is a small boat... like 14" and smaller), and up those amps to 40 or more if ya want to get close the 30.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
bry14661

well if what im looking at as far as motor and esc and battery tell me what i will need and what it will cost
Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 AM
pompebled

The Bladerunner can be made quick, but keeping it light is essential.

I only know of 700 motor conversions, brushless I have no experience with.

Regards, Jan..
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
deestingray

I have seen a what you could call a pretty successful brushless conversion for a cheap plastic NQD batboat looking thing from Ebay. What was used is an Electroflyte Ammo motor 2300kv, an SV27 esc(motor and esc watercooled), a flex drive setup with a neutral angle on the prop strut, a graupner CF45mm prop, trim tabs and 2x IB4200 6cell stick packs in series for 14.4volts. I would estimate that it was doing around 30-35mph easy and it was riding very nicely on the straights and quite well around corners, one of those eye opening moments for sure. That was in a 30inch boat though, and I have also seen that setup in both electrovees and OM26's and they absolutely fly.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok um motor wise
brushless u should [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-blcomboaq]try this[/link]
if u wana stay brush bust still go fast [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-6316]this motor[/link] with [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hl-je600n]this esc[/link] or the esc below it
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
CadillacDTS2001

lol i haven't seen one of them for years! . I know why! they suck. Sorry but i speak the truth! lol
Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Good rec's, but for the same price as the Graupner motor, you could get one of Steven's 700SC motors. They are a bit faster from what I understand.

ORIGINAL: crazy maxx

ok um motor wise
brushless u should [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-blcomboaq]try this[/link]
if u wana stay brush bust still go fast [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-6316]this motor[/link] with [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hl-je600n]this esc[/link] or the esc below it
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 AM
CadillacDTS2001

I think the graupner would be faster.