Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Alternative to NQD 'dog bone' motor couplers?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Alternative to NQD 'dog bone' motor couplers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Eizhan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to NQD 'dog bone' motor couplers?

Hey guys, I got this Kyosho Sunstorm knock off by Syma, and it uses those dog bone motor couplers. Mine shredded into a thousand pieces! I put a 4800kv 280 size brushless in it. Cavitated alot, but that's fixed. I tried offshoreelectrics but they didn't have my shaft size. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Eizhan.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Stokes

Default RE: Alternative to NQD 'dog bone' motor couplers?

i think you need 2mm to 2mm couplers. I think hopf or graupner should have what you're looking for. If they only supply larger ones (eg. 3.2 mm) i suggest you cut a piece of hollow plastic, say from a ball-pen tube or a q-tip ear bud, and slide it over the shafts. Put the coupler over these sleeves and tighten. Should work. I do this when i can't be bothered to go out in the snow to my lhs.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Eizhan

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks. What else site besides offshore sells hardware? That's the only site for boating I know. Sad. xD
Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Stokes

your side of the world....hmm well that could be tough....www.toughracing.com ? (excuse the bad joke ;-)) Ebay.au or ebay.cn should be good too. Otherwise the European suppliers on this page might be a good place to start:
http://www.rc-raceboats.de/linksundmehr.shtml
also try: www.graupner.com

if you have problems understanding the language you can translate blocks of text using: http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Eizhan

Hmmm, toughracing. Haha, funny. I don't really use ebay. I got conned once, and that's the last time I'm using ebay. xD. THanks for them links, and the translation site. You know the ball point pen ink thingy you told me to put on the shaft? Well, I made a flex drive with it. XDD. On the motor shaft there's a pinion so it doesn't pop out, and it's glued like hell to the main drive shaft. I have the unbonding agent, so I can take it out anytime. Is [link=http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=355.3]this[/link] it? It's 2mm to 2.3mm. You think that'll do? Or do I have to use my 'ball point pen jacket' ? Thankies. Bai.

[hr]

Okay ignore that. On a bench test, it snapped and one shard almost went into my eye. Gah, and I've got no muuuny to get anything. -cries on Strokes shoulders-
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Stokes

heya - make sure you don't get hurt whatever you do. The bit i told you is a plastic sleeve that sits inside the coupler, so no part of it can fly out....there's no way that the plastic sleeve (on its own) can be used as a coupler. A flex drive is usually made of steel wires twisted together, not a hollow plastic casing designed to holding nothing more than ink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Now that joint from graupner isn't the best there is on the market. It makes a lot of noise and if there's a bend of more than 10% it'll splinter into a gazillion pieces - stranding your boat in the middle of the water.

i was thinking more on the lines of: http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=3346 or maybe: http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=3345 and if the holes are too big you might use: http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AA (the bought alternative for the part i told you)

If you're using the plastic sleeve you must make sure it's snug, otherwise the coupling won't be 100% aligned with the propshaft and the motor

Good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Eizhan

Yeah, next time I do anything with really fast rotating thigs I'm using goggles. Lol, yeah I knowww. I was desperate. I really wanna run it again. And I got a race with this little kid, and at this rate, it looks like I'm gonna lose. Haha. I hope not. He's using an stock NQD hyro. I already beat him by the noise category xD. Gah, me no like's stuff that breaks into a gazillion pieces. No money/time for that. I'm making an junior class Optimist(I'm really short for a 16 year old) with my coach. I just checked out the site. Does those come with three couplers or are they just pictures? Just for reference, this is the link to my motor [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4487]-click click-[/link]. Okay now I'm confused about my shaft, it says it's 2.3mm and custom 2.0mm ????? Thanks for you help again, Strokes.

Regards,
Eizhan.

PS: You think Graupner will ship to Malaysia?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Stokes

no you only get one coupler (i presume you're referring to the solid aluminium couplers) - you'd be getting the small one. I have no idea whether the hextronic motor comes with a 2.3 mm shaft or a 2 mm shaft, but it's no problem to bore out a little bit of the coupler to widen the hole a little bit. I think you'll have no problem beating the hydro, even stock your boat should be way faster.....less heavy and better hydrodynamics i think. I had the hydro and it's a piece of crap - didn't even bother selling it on - just went straight into the bin. I have a boat by syma though, and its not bad at all as far as cheap plastic hulls go. I don't know if graupner ship to malaysia - best thing is to ask them. PS - noise isn't a good thing - it's wasted energy.....keep things as quiet as possible.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Eizhan

Ah okay. But isn't
Straight shaft on a brushless motor is scary - Taylor Shaw
? Awww, into the bin right away? I could have used those motor couplers! Noooo! Haha. Yeah, Syma isn't too bad. At least it had a servo, and not vector pushed. Hopefully they'll send to Malaysia. And hopefully they are quite fluent in English, or I'll need your help [>:]. Haha. Normally to reduce sound, I just generously lube the drive shaft, that normaly cuts down like 5 decibels.

Regards,
Eizhan.