Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Sharpening-rudders/turnfins

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Sharpening-rudders/turnfins

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
joeysan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharpening-rudders/turnfins

Hey All; I could use some recomendations on sharpening my rudder and turn fins on my SV27. Also for another project I have on the works.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
dicko

Default RE: Sharpening-rudders/turnfins

i wouldn't bother, as long as the prop is sharp you'll be fine. all you'll do if you sharpen the rudder & turn fin is cut yourself or someone else.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 AM
SV27dayton

Why not. I sharpened mine. My SV had a flat spot on the front of the rudder. In fact Grimracer said something about wanting to change that but it was too late for production. I recommended it. Especially since it's not that hard to do.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
ctonez

sharpening is good if you're racing or trying to get the most speed out of your boat possible...and honestly, who isn't doing that?
Be careful for sure...and if you're just sporting around and/or young kids occasionally handle your boat I wouldn't advise it.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
SV27dayton

good point
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
joeysan2

Thanks for your responses, I should have been more specific as I wanted to ask how you guys sharpen your rudders etc.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
SV27dayton

Use a fine tooth flat file and look at your work often to keep it even on both sides. Push strokes only. You can use sand paper to clean up the stroke marks I would also recomend an old sharpening stone that you dont' use for knives any more. This will give you a cleaner edge and not look as crappy where you have cut through the blue anidization. With sand paper you'd have a tendancy to scuff the area back further and it my detract from the looks. I chose to remove all the blue and polish everything. I cussed alot that weekend but the results are pretty impressive. Thinking about it more, it's a good idea to keep the kids away from the transom on this boat anyway. Especially when armed even the stock plastic prop could really hurt someone. I'm surprised I've never heard a first hand story of this happening. My self: I nick myslef with every prop I do. That's almost how I know it's done[&:]
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
finvee27

Same here, keep ALL children away from armed boat. I just purchase my first RC boat this SV27 and i´ve notice that it can start running max. revs without even touch on controller????
This is not normal i hope?
Should i get worried that this AM radio system is not OK?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
alloutcustom

Most people run fm radios in their boats, but its up to you, no it isnt normal for a new am radio to do that, and old one still could tho, or if it got wet
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
joeysan2

Thanks for your helpon sharpening. I never had any problems with my stock radio but I swithced it to FM anyway. I did learn however that if I hooked up the batteries before I turned on the Tx then the boat would get goofy, the servo would start twitching and the motor would rev up and down. Guess what? I don't do that anymore!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
finvee27

Hmmmm.... I have to try that my self too. Switch on the radio first then the boat.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
SV27dayton

I think that will help. You get more stray signals to the Rx when the radio (dominant signal) is not turned on. I've seen the same thing with the AM that came with the SV.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
animalnut

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

Use a fine tooth flat file and look at your work often to keep it even on both sides. Push strokes only. You can use sand paper to clean up the stroke marks I would also recomend an old sharpening stone that you dont' use for knives any more. This will give you a cleaner edge and not look as crappy where you have cut through the blue anidization. With sand paper you'd have a tendancy to scuff the area back further and it my detract from the looks. I chose to remove all the blue and polish everything. I cussed alot that weekend but the results are pretty impressive. Thinking about it more, it's a good idea to keep the kids away from the transom on this boat anyway. Especially when armed even the stock plastic prop could really hurt someone. I'm surprised I've never heard a first hand story of this happening. My self: I nick myslef with every prop I do. That's almost how I know it's done[&:]
dude......... thats exactly what I was going to say almost word for word.............weird
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
SV27dayton

dude...............
Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: joeysan2

Thanks for your responses, I should have been more specific as I wanted to ask how you guys sharpen your rudders etc.

I don't. So far I have not noticed any negative effects. I have not gotten that far down my list of important things to do to make sure my boat is running optimally.

Oh, and a PS about radios.

ALWAYS turn your transmitter on first, ESPECIALLY with electrics.

And NEVER turn it off before you have disconnected the power batteries.