Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

RC motor ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

RC motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
nyrclover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC motor ?

Hello I am new to this and kind of new to RC Boats. I had recently bought a slow huge 42inch boat with a slow 550 motor.

I want to eventually change it with a brushless setup. I would appreciate it if anyone who has experience to let me know what exactly i have to buy. The motor,esc,shaft size,battery. I know it is a lot of information but if anyone can help or at least point me in the rite direction. Ive looked on sites for info on this but if you know of any it would be helpful.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Quicksilver

Default RE: RC motor ?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is the admiral ebay boat, with twin vector thrust 540's. If so, search the site for ebay, boats, toy, admiral, NQD...... this will point you in the right direction. If not, well we need to know what ya got there.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
nyrclover

ohh sorry the boat I have is T-18 one motor boat.

Here is a link. Let me know if i can swap the motor and a esc to brushless.

[link=http://www.bananahobby.com/1382.html]T-18[/link]
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
alloutcustom

Good luck, lol. That is one ugly boat
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
RC_Bob

lol, I agree with that[sm=biggrin.gif]

Sure you can take out the stock system and put in a brushless one, but it will be kind of pricey for it's size.
Be ready to spend a lot if you want pretty good speed.

What speed range do you want?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Nyrclover,Looks kinda like an interesting boat,,Happen to have any vids of it in action?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
nyrclover

Hey guys thanks for replys.

This is the boat i have curently so as you guys say may not be the best for the conversion. That is ok but i would like to now the process i need to take to turn lets say a different boat. For example a rigger since i have been reading i have seen it around alot.

I know i need a brushless motor and esc. what i need to know is how do i know what batteries i need and probably how to determine the shaft as well. Any other info would be great, And for my first time dont want to spend a crazy amount of money say near $200 for the parts and for the hull or boat ill spend around $150. Dont really need crazy speed but enough to keep it interesting.

I just moved and live next to huge pond and it barely gets any wind the water is always flat.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Simon.O.

I am by no means the most clever person here but I can see few flaws with the boat that you have, given the link to the addvertisment.
Overuse of the word professional is a give-away to a nqd type build.
A single prop and "vector thrust" do not go together.....do some reading and all will become clear.
A single 550 and 35 mph+ is a long shot for a boat that is over a metre long....reaL long shot !
35 min run time with a 3600mAh pack on a 550 for FE is a non starter !!! End of !!

o.k so I have bagged the add for the boat that you have bought, all is not lost.
I have bought a few different boats over the past year and have learnt a LOT.....from the people here and on the Red, and Blue boards.

Run this boat as is and enjoy it for now.
Possible speed increases are made by.
Faster motor = $$
A better prop
More cells............Hmmm more power can be addictive.

A combination of all 3.

Welcome to the world of modifying low cost boats. I have not been there and done that, I AM there and am DOING that !!

Cheers, Simon.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:57 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

For that much money you could just buy a brushless Super V and some batteries and be flying in no time!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
nyrclover

Hey yeah I looked at that but I rather buy NQD Arrow wind and put a brushless setup in. Have the experience of doing it the first time with cheaper parts and then when i get it down maybe better motor/esc/batteris. It would be more fun that way. All I wanted to know is what exactly I need to do that to a Arrow wind.

My concern is when I get a motor and esc how do I tell when I buy the Lipo what connector will I need to fit the esc.

Also for the motor part can i keep the old shaft and hardware for first time only and how do I tell what size the shaft is on the motor and what on the boat already, to make sure it works without changing.

I know its alot but to learn I need to try the swap and with help from hear maybe i wont make a mistake.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
kahnen

Heres one thats been done

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7240888/tm.htm
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM
new2rcboating

Hi Guys & Gals ,

Sorry to create another NQD Admiral Question , though i am wondering what this specific boat has for an Electrical setup , as with the boat i own , i am ( at the moment ) not fussed by its lack of speed or pedigree , just using it as a test bed to learn about my new hooby with . Would like to hear from somebody that can tell me what amp motors i can put in & battery setup ( e.g Dual 7.2v NIMH 4200 Parallel battery ETC ) without frying the thing . Have got a bit of a knack for tinkering & soldering , just unsure of electrics with the Admiral ??? , Many Tars ......
Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM
headhunter23

Glass the bottom for reinforcement(rough up bottom first for glass to attach to), look at hobby king and get kb45, a 120amp esc. Make a stronger motor mount. Get cooling jacket for motor. A good one, not the coil wrapped stuff, it should be a sleeve that fits over the motor with rubber rings on the side. Unfortunately the batteries would need to be replaced, probably with 5 cell 5000mah to start, maybe 6 cell. If you go 6 cell you would need lower rpm motor compared to 5 cell. I believe ryan can let ya know which way to go. Ummm... also ... ok, the hardware on the back should be changed too. Essentially the steering needs to be separated from the drive shaft. Looking at the pics you can do this to save money on hardware. Cut the rudder off, put some metal on the hinge where the rudder turns, so your essentially locking it in place. Ummmmm... you'll need some flex drive stuff, .150 size, get some brass that just fits over it. A drive dog that fits in where the prop sits(it's essentially a small piece of metal that holds prop that slides in to the black piece of steering on the back there. Have the brass tubing replace the other there in the pics right up to the black (can't remember name) rod holder at the back. Then you would just need to buy a rudder.

Wouldn't be the prettiest, would still be better to get a whole new boat with fibre glass hull and some decent hardware but it should work. Ensure batteries are really secure(I mean velcroed with a wrap over top, you don't want them flying on sudden stops, it would destroy boat), spray foam or just foam whole front of boat. If you spray foam, do it in small amounts over a couple days as it will deform hull while expanding(get low expanding stuff, it's construction stuff).

Oh and replace all connectors with deans, ummm I personally soldier wires directly to ESC. Cheaper, easier only problem is if it goes reverse, resoldier and switch two wires.

Ivan.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 AM
new2rcboating

Thanks Ivan , looking at a new boat at the moment . Though if i can keep this big cat going as a side interest , i will !! . Maybe use stronger Batteries such as 3S Lipo's on my new project 5000mah , while allowing them to power my admiral at times . The Admiral that i own has provided a good start in my new hobby , with little fault for over three months ( 15 outings ) .....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped the SV27 motor/ESC into the Admiral a couple of years ago. Went OK on 4s Lipo & a 445 prop. Now it's my rescue boat with this modification for a bit of a laugh.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67889.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1075710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86423.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1075711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70777.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.9 KB