Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Rollover cowl for the SV27,,Whats your thoughts on this?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Rollover cowl for the SV27,,Whats your thoughts on this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollover cowl for the SV27,,Whats your thoughts on this?

I think it''s a fantastic idea,that was my biggest problem with the sv27,I really like it but Im always afraid to go balls out for a long period because of flipping,this product would help with that.
But I think it makes it look rather silly,and its gotta make the rear end drag from the wind,but I might try to make one and see how it goes,just wondering what people''s thoughts are on this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Supervee-Superve...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Grimracer

Default RE: Rollover cowl for the SV27,,Whats your thoughts on this?

SWEET... training wheels for the SUPER VEE...

Grim
Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
CadillacDTS2001

neat, But i think at a 40 mph SV already loose as it is this would act like a kite and make it even more vulnerable to aerobatics
Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Im not too sure about it......I think it looks a little silly.I think the SV27 looks prettty cool, not so much with that thing on top of it, but ya, I agree it will save ya in a roll over. Wouldent the foam for the inside be enough to keep it afloat??
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
fastboat

Hi guys, I'm the designer, it was form following function for sure, so go easy. I just got my full-size boat out of storage and will have some more video running in the next week or so of SV27 with rollover cowl. Prototype ran great last fall but need new video of final product. Michigan water seems to be rough most all the time from wind or other Full-size boats and just want to have some fun without being upside down so much. I got alot of time and money into this little project and I'm one of the Michigan Tool and Die Designers that lost his job, Thanks NAFTA. I'll get running video soon and post, Thanks, Steve
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
pompebled

I think it looks rediculous, but, if it works and make you confident to throttle down on your SV, go for it!

Slightly OT:
Is it just me, or are there (relative) few boats equipped with a floodchamber in the US?
I've seen the pictures of the SV and after seeing some of the running video's I'd most certainly would have given this boat some form of self righting, it sure is quick enough.

The radio box in the SV (and most boats for that matter) is in the way of installing a floodchamber, because you would never get the CoG right with the box in place next to a floodchamber.

Is the radio box really a must? Seems to me, most boats with one don't leak like mad, warranting the use of a radiobox.

In Europe, most racing hulls are equipped with a floodchamber, the electronics just sits in the boat and with the hatch taped shut, nothing gets wet.

If I were to get a SV, the radio box would have to make room for a floodchamber.
Just haven't seen it in the shops overhere (yet).

Regards, Jan.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
fastboat

http://www.youtube.com/v/fa7Why533dg&hl=en"></param><param
Hopefully this link works, if not go to youtube.com and search SV27 rollover, 5 videos total, thanks, Steve
Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
SV27dayton

Functionally it's perfect. I'm impressed.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Stinger9d9

I think it's a great idea...probably because I thought of it myself last summer. I'll give credit to Fastboat for actually carrying it out and producing it though.

I was running my SV on some water that it was totally not suitable for. I actually taped an empty pop bottle to the cowl...talk about ugly! It sure worked well though. I thought about making a self righting cowl, but like I said, Fastboat actually did it, and did it pretty well by the looks of it.

The one thing you really want to watch out for with this though is, make absolute sure your batteries are fastened in there well. When the boat rolls at full speed, it stops almost immediately, and the batteries can come loose and start flying around inside the hull. If you don't bring the boat in to double check that the batteries are still seated in place (which you may not feel the need to) it could cause damage.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
fastboat

Stinger9d9 is right, I've got the batteries velcroed in and foam blocks stuffed over them also, almost 1 lb battery sticks don't like 40 to 0 mph in a half second, but this setup seems to be working so far. I can't stress the importance of the tape job of cowl to deck enough, I'm using 3M clear duct tape at 1 7/8" wide and wrapped down sides of hull even. I'll still run stock cowl when conditions are good but this cowl gives some options. The SV27 was a mile-stone in RTR boats and I'm enjoying mine. Happy boating, Steve
Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Stinger9d9

One thing though...

You way want to reconsider the name "Blackwater" for the cowl. And not because of any negative connotation with the US hired military company, but rather this:

Blackwater is another term for...well, sewage. When dealing with flood damage, it's a term used to describe water that contains, well, you know.

Otherwise, it's a great item!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 PM
fastboat

maybe Conehead Cowl?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

My two cents is, it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. That's great that it works, but why not just tape a plastic bottle to the top?
Adding a flood chaber is a good idea but battery placement will become a problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 AM
SV27dayton

Come on wheel! it's better than a plastic bottle. Sure it doesn't have the looks of the factory hatch but it looks better than a diet coke bottle. Reminds me of a supersonic reef racer.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
finvee27

CAN U SHOW US HOW TO ADD FLOODCHAMBER TO SV27
THERE IS SO LITTLE SPACE INSIDE THE HULL....
THIS WOULD HELP A LOT!!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
pompebled

Hi Finvee,

Sure, I could show you how to install a floodchamber into a monohull like the SV27, that's no magic, but, as I mentioned in my reply earlier, the radiobox is something that's only found in petrol- or nitro powered boats in Europe.

In order to keep enough room in a SV27, the radiobox would have to go.
A properly build and set-up fast electric doesn't need one if the hatch is taped shut.

If you'd like to make a floodchamber in your SV27, I'd be glad to help you, albe it remotely, either by email or on this forum, or both, just let me know.

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
gallobg

Does anyone have any pictures or know how the "blackwater" rollover cowl was designed/manufactured by fastboat? He doesn't seem to be on these boards anymore, and isn't currently selling on ebay. I love my SV27 but I'm getting tired of flipping it in the lake where I run.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: gallobg

Does anyone have any pictures or know how the ''blackwater'' rollover cowl was designed/manufactured by fastboat? He doesn't seem to be on these boards anymore, and isn't currently selling on ebay. I love my SV27 but I'm getting tired of flipping it in the lake where I run.
set your cg more forward and you sould have less issues
I run my SV all day without flipping any more
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
gallobg

Thanks. I've set my CG pretty far forward and that helps, but doesn't always solve the problem. I know I run in rougher waters than I should, hence my want for a rollover solution. All it takes is one errant wave and I'm in recovery mode...