Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Picked up a Blackjack

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Picked up a Blackjack

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
derwood21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a Blackjack

Been snooping around here for a few months. Just want to say thanks for all the great info. I started off w/ a cheap NQD cat that I picked up for $35, threw in some parkzone 480 and a 11.1v lipo and was pretty good. Then I added a rudder, 2 brushless 3800kv 380s and 30amp ESCs. Was not impressed so its getting set to the side. I mostly got it to see if rc boating is something I really wanted to get into. I've been into rc's for awhile(rock crawlers and nitro trucks). Anyways I'm hooked on yet another side to this money pit of a hobby.
I planning on picking up a brushless Blackjack this weekend and wanted some advice. Looks like most people are upgrading the hardware. I will leave that till later on but it is in the plans. What I really wanted to know if there is anything I should pick up with the boat to improve the performance right off the bat for instance a different prop. Also wanted to see if anyone has used 9.6v packs in one of these. Will it handle it. According to their specs on the ESC it should be fine but I've seen acouple people talk about having problems running 8.4v packs. I only ask because I have a good pair from my Ruslter VXL. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
RC_Bob

Default RE: Newbie getting a Blackjack

The SV27 prop and the X440(both 40mm) should both work well. I got in the high 30s with both props. But now after like 20 runs or so, for some reason it's cutting out on me at 70-80% throttle. Even if I do a very soft start and work my way up slowly. But that was after I started using 8.4v packs. Right when I started using 8.4v packs it started to cut out on me. So for now I wouldn't advise 8.4v packs.

Just to let you know the shaft size is 1/8 so get ready to use some shims.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 PM
derwood21

Thanks for the info on the props. Was high 30's on 6 cell packs?

Is the problem w/ the bigger packs the esc or the motor? Would using external bec help with the bigger batteries?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
RC_Bob

Yes, it was in the high 30s w/6 cell packs and a SV27 prop. Same for x440.

For me the 7 cell packs caused a problem for the esc, that cutoff thing. But I used these customized tenergy packs, a brand that many say to stay away from cuz their sensitive, or something, I dunno. Different brand might make a great difference. I'm pretty sure that Integy 7 cell packs will work pretty well[sm=biggrin.gif]

Maybe an external bec might make a difference, never really know until you try it. Good point to bring up, I should try that this weekend.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
derwood21

Just got back from picking my Blackjack up and a X440 3 blade prop. Was thinking about my battery situation last night. I have been reading on rccrawler about guys diabling the internal bec on their Novak Goat systems so they could run 11.1v lipos. Wondered if this is the same situation w/ the Proboat esc. Is it the bec that is causing problems w/ the higher voltage. Would disonnecting the bec and running a reciever pack eliminate this problem? If I was to try it, am I taking a risk at damaging the esc or will it shut down to protect itself?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM
RC_Bob

Tell you what, tommorrow at the pond I'll try out the bec thing and see what'll happen. For now try out the BJ26 with just 6 cell packs and the stock prop, and then move on to the x440/3. I used a 2 blade x440 but I guess a 3 blade wouldn't hurt a lot(cuz it's like the sv27 prop). Before you do anything is the x440/3 you purchased raw or sharpened?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:03 PM
derwood21

Its just the raw cast one but I took a jewelers file to it and cleaned it up alot. I going to disable the bec and use a reciever pack w/ the 8 cells tomorrow. We'll see how it does. I'm taking some 6 cell packs with me tomorrow for back up.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
RC_Bob

8 cell pack?!? wow, make sure you check the temp every 30 seconds or so.

When you cleaned up the prop did you sharpen and balance it?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
derwood21

i sharpened it but not really sure how to balance it. I figure it should be ok on 8 cells cause thats 19.2v's and the esc is rated 10-21v's. I will keep a close eye on it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 AM
RC_Bob

Hate to tell u this but I really think you should have that X440 balanced, otherwise it may damage the hardware.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
animalnut

Default RE: Picked up a Blackjack

oh that poor strut bushing[]
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 AM
derwood21

I was going to get one that was balanced and sharpened but the lhs didn't have them. I'll just leave it at home so I'm not temped to throw it on.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
alloutcustom

you can balance and sharpen it yourself, just read up on it, there is a bit of info on offshoreelectrics.com about it
Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
mikeyy300

Should I get Fullers hardware or the Skater Thing? The skater one is cheaper but I'm not sure if its crap or not???????
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
derwood21

I did a search on here for tips on balancing props and found the link to ose. Doesn't look to difficult. Thanks for the info. I think I'll be happy w/ it in stock form today since the only other boat I've ran is the cheap nqd cat I got. Glad I got it though cause now I have a rescue boat. Folsom lake is still alittle to cold for my taste.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
mikeyy300

Should I get Fullers hardware or the Skater Thing? The skater one is cheaper but I'm not sure if its crap or not???????
Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
animalnut

want to see something just awesome add a 4cell lipo +3blade octura x445 cutdown and use tape on the shaft to take out the difference OMG thats cool
Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM
RC_Bob

ORIGINAL: mikeyy300

You referring to the Twisted Liquid Racing thing?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
mikeyy300

Ya, that one...
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
RC_Bob

I got that system and it just needs some tweaking cuz some of the parts don't fit so well.

Anyway I just came back from the pond. I tried the bec thing and no difference in performance, still cutting off. But the temps were better on the electronics for some reason[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
derwood21

Had fun yesterday overall. started off on the 6 cells and was really happy with it. Tried the 8 cells and you could really tell the difference! I was having radio problems throughout most of the day so not sure how much of it had to do w/ the 8 cells. Fliped it once on my 2nd run. Top came off and it was bobbin like a bouy. I guess I'm going to pick up some hatch tape before I go out next time. Last run of the day was going smooth for about 5 mins. I had be running it along the shore back and forth and let off the throttle to turn and the boat just kept on going, couldn't stop or steer. Luckly it ran into a tree sticking out of the water about 15ft from shore instead of the granite shoreline. Only damage was some cracking in the paint up front. Now I'm not to crazy about running this thing again untill I figure out why it took off on its own. When it happened it was only about 60ft away from me. Are these radios just junk and is this a common problem w/ them? Also there was acouple times I had it turned on and it was glitching and I had no control. I have a JR fm system I think I'm going to through in. What is a good way to test the range on you radio other than just running it farther and farther away on passes?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
RC_Bob

Are these radios just junk
well, yes, in my opinion. the stock radio system is am signal which isn't as strong as FM. I had the same type of problem(and so did almost everyone else) and the only way I fixed it was by putting a futaba 2ch 2pl system in:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNHS1**&P=SM
For me it works perfectly.

I think it's worth a try of putting that JR system in.

For testing I've read manuals about testing radio systems and all they say is ranges of testing. So I guess try it in the backyard? park? or any open space i guess?

Did you use the x440 or the stock prop?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 PM
derwood21

I mostly ran the stock prop. But I couldn't stand it, I had to try out the x440. Thats when I flipped it. I think I had the 8 cells in at the time. Only got about 10ft before it flipped and I couldn't figure out why. After I got it out, drained the water and made sure everything still worked, I through in the 6 cells and when to try it again. I soon figured out why it flipped. That prop would just make the boat launch out of the water! I think I'm going to try and mount the batteries farther forward to shift some weight up front.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 AM
RC_Bob

Okay, Just really check the temps after like 30 seconds or so cuz 16 cells on an x440 sounds like a pretty hot(as in temp) set up. I tried an x440 on 7 cell packs before and the esc was in the high temps. Didn't know how many degrees but the capacitors nearly melted their way through the plastic container.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 AM
derwood21

I checked on temps regularly and everything was relatively cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.