Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

lipo worth it???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

lipo worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
all in
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo worth it???

I have a lightly modded sv27. I don't race it. I run IB4200 batteries. Is it worth it to switch to lipo? Is there that big of a difference for recreational use? Just seeing if it is worth it before I spend the cash. What do you all think or your experience?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: lipo worth it???

LiPo is definitely worth it for a sport boater or racer.

Advantages:
- Cheaper in Long run
- Life of around 3 yrs
- Hold voltage better over life span
- Better discharge current
- Higher Load Voltage
- Longer run time
- Less heat produced
- Lighter
- Bigger smile on your face!

Be sure to follow the LiPo rules. Charge appropriately and always store at 3.4v per cell. Never discharge more than specified. Applies to all LiPo cells.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
detox

Most top LIPO assemblers use Enerland cells from Korea, but not all Enerland cells are alike in performance and durability. Enerland tests the performance of its cells and charges more for the best ones. The lower performing cells go to those pack builders who sell to the mass market and to discount houses. And because they don't use the top rated cells, they definitely will not perform as well as the premium packs. For mild to moderate sport use, the cheap packs may be a good choice, but for high performance use, this isn't the place to skimp. Try to pull 20c amps from a cheap pack, and you may find it permanantly damaged, even though the specification sheet says it is good for that discharge rate.

According to Radio Control Boat Modeler magazine, the premium packs are ThunderPower, FlightPower, PolyQuest (owned by Enerland).
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
all in

JUST TRYING TO DECIDE BEFORE I SPEND OVER $300 FOR BATTERIES AND CHARGER.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
all in

THAT IS TWO MORE SETS OF 4200'S OR ONE LIPO SET UP
Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
detox

For the Super vee I would buy two 2s packs...either the 25c or the more expensive 30c.

Two of these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWA8&P=7
Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
ryan_t888

25C is way more than enough for the SV. I'm a FP only guy and run their 4900mAh 25C cells in race setups.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
SV27dayton

Awesome info guys. Thanks from Nimh land. Hope to visit soon.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
detox

Super Vee's low voltage cuttoff is TOO LOW @5.4 volt for Lipo use. So bring boat in early to prevent cell damage. The Super Vee's 5.4 volt LVC works perfect for NIMH.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
ryan_t888

The SV ESC cut's out at 2.8v per cell when fully charged LiPo's are used. If you are going to rely on the SV ESC for a LVC, only use fully charged packs as the ESC takes a percentage of the voltage during initial battery connection.

2.8v per cell is very similar to where my castle ESC's cut out even though they specify 3.0v per cell. Found this out with a Data Logger.

For Maximum LiPo life bring in the boat before the packs come close to dumping.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
CadillacDTS2001

if you buy them buy them through RCLIPOS.COM. they ship free and are very good prices
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
jeeprubicon2k3

Check out www.airthunder.com I just got 2x5000mah 7.2v lipos hope to try them soon. My friend flies them and loves em.

Save $20.00! on at least a $149 order from Towerhobbies. To claim savings 011WV.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 AM
joeysan2

I am thinking about trying these http://www.rclipos.com/Elite.htm, Not a bad price.
They would be backed by RC Lipos.
Looks like a good choice for us budget minded folks.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Silent-AV8R

The Elite lipos are very good packs and I've seen many of them around. They seem to perform very well, especially for he price. Pat at RC Lipos and Mike at Cheap Battery packs are doing them together. Two very honest and reliable vendors, you should be very satisfied with the Eltie brand.

http://www.rclipos.com/Elite.htm
Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: detox

Most top LIPO assemblers use Enerland cells from Korea, but not all Enerland cells are alike in performance and durability. Enerland tests the performance of its cells and charges more for the best ones. The lower performing cells go to those pack builders who sell to the mass market and to discount houses. And because they don't use the top rated cells, they definitely will not perform as well as the premium packs. For mild to moderate sport use, the cheap packs may be a good choice, but for high performance use, this isn't the place to skimp. Try to pull 20c amps from a cheap pack, and you may find it permanantly damaged, even though the specification sheet says it is good for that discharge rate.

According to Radio Control Boat Modeler magazine, the premium packs are ThunderPower, FlightPower, PolyQuest (owned by Enerland).
I think you misunderstood what Enerland does. First, they will NEVER sell a cell that does not pass their strict QA/QC process. They do sell product that does no deliver the intended rated capacity. For instance, a pack that is supposed to be 3300 mAh only doing 3100. They will make a pack from these cells and label it as a 3,000 pack, which it will deliver. And if it is labeled as 25C, then it IS a 25C pack.

Here is what my source, who is a major Enerland distributor, had to say when I asked about this:

There are times Enerland has cells that do not meet the rated capacity. These are offered off to any distributor that wants them at a reduced price but they will not sell the loose cells and have to be constructed in to battery packs that they will label with the capacity they are. Enerland does not want bad PR so they monitor this product very closely.
Hope that clears this up a bit. The performance of an Enerland cell will be exactly as labeled, or better. And Enerland simply does not dump low quality cells on the off brand market.

Also PolyQuest and PolyRC are the same packs with different labels on them. And as far as one vendor getting the "better" Enerland cells over another, well that simply does not happen. a 3,800 mAh 25C Enerland cell will be identical regardless of which pack vendor sells them.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:55 PM
all in

Has anybody tried running one lipo instead of two, don't know if it is even possible.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
ryan_t888

Poosible but you would need to add weight to balance the hull out on the other side.

Ryan