Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Acomms Oldschool Boat Motor question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Acomms Oldschool Boat Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
jcplinux42008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acomms Oldschool Boat Motor question

Ok my question is will someone point in the direction of some good inrunner brushless motors , i have a 3:1 reduction gear in my boat , i have no way to change the gear ratio , and i want to get a high Kv motor so i can spin faster for the gear , it greatly increases my runtime , and with proper tuning today i got the speed way up , i would like maybe around a 4200 Kv , 540 with a shaft size of 5mm im not worried about that i just would like a website that has a good selection of not too expensive motors. I am currently running an 1800Kv and i know its faster with direct drive , but the runtime is greater with a gear because the motor is always spun up. Plus the boat was really made for a gear drive and a mabuchi 540 motor. I have pics posted in my gallery and i have some videos on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jcplinux2008 that will take you too my video collection so you can see all of them , although i did not get a video of my best run today and of course it started raingin as soon as i was done so i probably can't run it again today. And also what do you guys think of the ammo motor i know it isn't 4200Kv its like 2300 , but maybe i don't need a 4200 , i am running the sv27 esc so i need to be careful of how far i push it unless keeping the reduction gear will keep my amp usage down below the max , i guess only testing will tell. Thanks in advance for input
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
jcplinux42008

Default RE: Acomms Oldschool Boat Motor question

Ok since no one is responding i will just say it doesn't matter anyways watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTWwFSgHMU and you shall see why , and in case you dont want to watch i can just tell you i killed my spur gear and rigged it for direct drive , i will get a video of it with direct drive now , it is much much faster , i knew it would be i just wanted to get a bigger motor and make it faster with the gear
Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Quicksilver

good move, just watch the temps.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
jcplinux42008

i am going to still need a prop shaft and prop , it has a real bad shimmy when its running , that is becuase i don't own metric drill bits and i needed to make metric holes so go figure i just rounded out something a little close too what i needed , so the holes are not so straight , and as a result the shaft tube wobbles inside the hull makes a heluva alot of noise , but it will work until i get new u-joints and such. I will post some pics of the new direct drive and me taping around the motor for extra grip , my motor mount is one of the most difficult parts on the whole boat , its plastic so i have to be very careful not to snap in half , the hull i mean , the mount is just a piece of metal with two screw holes , anyways it works , and holds that torquey little motor in place while its in the water so its good to me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40259.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	939968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28114.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	939969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85907.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.8 KB