Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

BBY Oval master 21

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

BBY Oval master 21

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
wamf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BBY Oval master 21

I just ran mine for the first time today. This is my largest boat at 21" and it went together really easy. I run on choppy water in a large river. This thing cut the waves great was very stable and plenty fast. I'm running a feigao 12s 2958kv motor with a 2s 4900mah 30c lipo with a oct x432 aluminum and the dual rudder option. This boat does what bby say's it will and Randy at BBY is very helpful.
MikeV
Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Blkft1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BBY Oval master 21

Im in the starting phase of building a WarZone jr 18" hull thats been sitting on the backburner sometime.Been getting alot of info on BL set up from other very helpful members. Planned to do a stock brushed set up first but now gonna go BrushLess.How was your run time and speed?What type of drive hardware are you using?Mine is just a bare hull as of now.I have stuff to make my own just need to get a flexshaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85870.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	944230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30060.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	944231  
Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
wamf

I'm getting low 20's and 20+min runtime. I am using the hdware that bby sells with the boat. Mounting the motor in the back makes sense for this hull you can adjust things real easy by moving the battery. BBY is very helpful and will sell individual parts. The deep v motor mount is usefull as well as his servo mounts. That warzone jr looks tempting to me. Wonder if it could run with a 380/400 bl motor?
MikeV
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
alloutcustom

Just for fun, id try this setup
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWZ3&P=7]Motor[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2166]esc[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6344]battery[/link]2 of these
haha, thats really going over board btu it would haul
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Blkft1

I bought this hull [$12.50 intro] awhile back ,was originally going to buy the 22"WarZone[may still].I may try to set it [elect] up similar to yours or what others are suggesting,20mph and 20min run time sound fantasic.Kind'a trying to aim for a sport runner [-$$] with potential to spare.Everyone has pointed at the Ammo BL's I thought they were mainly for flight, Alloutcustom's suggestions looks great price/power wise.I was hoping to find a older WHobbies SPD-E drive for drive hardware,havent had much luck.Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like FineDesign might have picked up wHobbies bagshot hulls and some hardware.I'll probably in the end just get the hardware from BBY.Decisions,decisions,,,.
What about these? Or Am I asking for trouble.And will the suggested esc/batt combo handle the draw?BTW I'm just getting into LiPo's so I'm on a learning curve and would like to eventually incorporate them into some of my trucks ie coupl'a Clods and Bruiser/AX10 hybrid crawler.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2033

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5256

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5224
Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
wamf

Here's what I would do if I did it again. Go to offshoreelectrics.com and buy some octura hardware and whatever feigao motor I wanted and a xpower 100amp esc with program box. I would mount the motor back like Randy suggests and add a turn fin or two. What I did was buy the bby hardware ( works perfectly) and a 70 amp esc and a slow bl motor for 7.4v. I still have a lot of room to play with. I'm about $195 into a hull and hardware.
I actually bought this boat because I had the motor and esc and nothing to put it in. I buy some things fromhobby city and no complaints except for the one and only cheap esc I tried fried the first time I plugged it in. I do love the zippy lipos for my smaller models.
MikeV
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Blkft1

What about this motor and esc combo? 75amp Melody esc would be my choice.

http://www.milehighrc.com/brushless400DFA.html
http://milehighrc.com/ESC.htm

Just have to decide on batts and prop.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
wamf

My understanding is that the warzone jr is built for a 540 size motor. You could try the combo you show and use a 540 motor with the esc if the 400 didn't work. There is a guy on ebay selling 3000kv bl motors with a 30 amp esc delivered for less than $30. Type 300kv outrunner in the ebay search.
MikeV
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Blkft1

Yeah I'm thinking I may be pushing this hull beyond its intended design going brushless.I like to try to gather as much info as possible before making a decision,especially going to BL?liPo's.I have 3 Rc project[s] currently going,1 being this hull and it looks as if I'm going to update my powerplants,everything else is staying oldskool.Sold and selling a bunch of stuff to fund these 3,of course everytime I make some $$$ a holiday/birthday happens ie;MOTHERS DAY. Hey thanks for the offer Mike and the input on powering this hull,its small and pretty sleek looking and cant wait to see it scootin across the water.Should be a rocket compared to my very vintage MRP Pantera aka "Ole Yella" I've been running lately.Used to have a Enforcer XP[sold],1st gen Kyosho Viper[Davy Jone's locker] and a GP Stinger[sold],now its time to rebuild the fleet. Thanks
Fred
P.S. Anyone seeing the lines thru my post,if so why?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58051.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	946192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61198.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	946193  
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wamf, You could probably step it up to a Y535 prop for another couple mph. As long as temps are good, you will be fine.

Ryan
Old 05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
jdoug

Blkft1 - I have a 13" Gecko with a 380 brushless motor with ESC. Brushless doesn't mean buy the fastest one out there. Buy it according to boat size and you'll be fine. I wanted mine to run the whole pack without overheating and no watercooling and I succeeded with no problem with the Feigao 380 on 6 cells.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Blkft1

Man!Lets get this thread back on track since I Hi-Jacked the heck outa it[X(]!Say,Mike any pics or vid's of your boat running?Like to see it.BBy makes a great product for the homebuilder/tinkerer,basically what I am.My next purchase will be the Warzone,,but been kind'a eye ballin their dragboat too,heck may just get them both!I tend to buy things up and then work on them over time,gives me something to do. We have alot of parks with good size ponds where we live,one is within walkin distance to my house.Decent fishin too!They are great places to run boats decently smooth to moderate depending on size and with access all around.Say,have you seen this?Uh,um,,,er,,,Hi-jack alert!Hi-jack alert!!

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle.htm
Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Blkft1

Say MikeV, sent ya a message.Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM
wamf

Sorry I don't have any vid or pictures. I got the message and replied.
Thanks
MikeV