Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

what's a good paint to use?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

what's a good paint to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
RC_Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's a good paint to use?

Hello Everyone
My Aeromarine Sport 40 just arrived today. I plan to do a good paint job based on my high school. But what's a good type of paint I should use?
All it says about the surface is that it's gloss gelcoat finish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35659.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	945082  
Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: what's a good paint to use?

Automotive paint and Clear Coat is the the best to use. I used Klass Kote on my last boat and it turned out great. It is a two part paint but you don't have to clear it, its shiny right out of the gun.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 PM
misshydro

I use Duponts buget line NASON and NAPA's Crossfire basecoat clear coat system. Both systems will save in the wallet too. My Oberto was spray painted with Dupli-Color and the clear I used the crossfire system on it.[8D] The vegas was done with Nason colors and crossfire clear. If you need any help/advice on painting,let me know.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41472.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	945268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88961.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	945269  
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
RC_Bob

Thanks for the advice!
I think for now I would get an automotive-type paint cuz my high school deadline for this boat is closing in soon.(cuz summers comin)
few more Qs:
1)Is there any specific type of automotive paint I should use or would any good type be good?
2)Also I was thinking about putting letters of my school on the side. This sounds kind of weird but would mailbox letter stickers be good?
3)My dad was wondering if regular gloss enamel would be good.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
misshydro

You can use vinyl decials and letterings on it. But I would advize you to put the letterings and decials on first before you clear your paint or other wise the decials/letterings will peal off. I told you in my reply what paint to use. I use that stuff because I run nitro boats and that nitro doesnt affect the paint=wont peel up if it gets on the paint. You can use enamels but you wont get the show room finish like a clear coat finish.[8D] Plus clear coat will protech your finish from fadding too and take a better beatting too.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
RC_Bob

I see. So just to confirm:
1st put on words/letters, and then put on the clear coat finish paint(which is an automotive paint?).

But is there any big procedure to the painting? Cuz I heard somewhere that you spray the paint on and then do some sanding sort of thing.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
misshydro

With my Oberto,I'd used Dupli-Color spray paint on it,then I'd used a gray scotch bright pad to scuff it,then clean the surface then apply the decials on it then clear coat it. But if your using automotive base coat clear coat system,you spray the base color on it first then apply the decials on it then spray the clear over your base color.Theres no sanding needed on the base color to apply the clear on it. You can shot the base color on your boat with out clearing it for 7 days. If you dont clear it after 7 days you need to scotch bright it.Most base coat systems have a 7 day windows. When I did my oberto in Dupli-Color its a laqcure paint and drys hard,so I needed to scuff the surface to had the clear to stick to it. All base coats are alittle soft for the clear to bite into the base color=great adhesion.[8D]
Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 AM
detox

Any cheap lacquer will be easy to paint and repair if mistakes are made. You can even use spray can laquers purchased at some automotive stores and Walmarts, but color selection is limited to red, orange, white, black. For a super smooth lacquer finish, color sand dry paint with 900 grit wet sand paper wrapped around a small color sanding sponge (automotive paint store sell the pads and 900 paper) use water so paper will not clog. This will remove rough orange peel and surface level paint. Afterward paint will have a dull flat looking finish. Simply hand rub and buff with Miquires # 7 polish to restore shine, then wax for a beautiful see yourself shine.

Here some metal flake aerosol lacquers:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
misshydro

who wants to keep rubbing miguires #7 on there boat alot??[&:] Thats one reson why autobody shops dont spray lacqures anymore.[:'(] Lacqures are to much up keep. they chip easy,if gas gets spill on them they can lift or dull the finish.[:@] In time the finish will crack like a gators back.[:@] Thats why urothanes and epoxys are sprayed now. They will out last and take a better beating and has a show room finish then lacqures. I put the urothane clear on my boat because of durobility and I run nitro so it wont hurt that clear.[8D] I know this because I paint real cars,trucks,bikes and boats for aliving.[8D] using 900 grit to buff is way to much!!it will leave deep scratches in your finish and very hard to buff them out!!![X(] I use 1500 wet sand paper,easyer to buff out. Alot of us autobody people use1200-2000 grit wet sand paper to get orange peels out of that paint. Then use medum buffing compound and use a machine glaze to get the fine scratches out and swarls out of it then use miiguires #7.[8D] Dont wax you boat for three month!!!![X(] That paint needs to dry out. It takes three month for the paints to fully cure. ALL AUTOBODY SHOPS SAY THE SAME THING NO WAX FOR 90 DAYS=THREE MONTHS. USE MIGUIRES #7 for the three months.[8D]
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
detox

Sorry, but he is right, do not wax your boat until solvents have evaporated from your paint. Hardened Urathanes and Epoxies are more durable, but VERY VERY expensive now days. Cheap spray can Lacquers are adequate for most of the DO IT YOURSELF electric boat crowd and will last longer than some think. Especially since we do not let our boats set out in the weather 24hrs a day exposed to the hot sun and freezing weather. A simple single color lacquer paint job is very cheap and easy to repair if need be. Fun to!

I once sprayed my Superglide using Ditzler Deltron. After paint dried overnight I color sanded using fin grit paper, maybe it was 1200 it's been awhile, then I polished using #7 and it looked great.

BTW...What is the retail price and brand of the Urathane clear, hardener, and reducer that you use? What is the smallest can size avaliable?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 PM
misshydro

I'm a girl. I use urothanes cost less then epoxy. All autobody shops uses urothanes. A Quart of NASON clear and 1/2 hardner is 34.00. The NAPA crossfire clear,a quart of clear and 1/2 pint of hardner is 28.00. My Oberto CMB.21RS red head hydro was spray painted with Dupli-Color paints then cleared it with NAPA's urothane Crossfire clear with my spray gun.[8D] Theres a new clear I'm going to try,by Dupont. It's 50.00 for the clear and hardner. You can paint to buff in 4 or less hours!!! It's a hyper clear.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
detox

Thats not a bad price...THANKS girl friend, Ha Ha