Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Choosing an Appropriate Fast Electric Setup / NON-RTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Choosing an Appropriate Fast Electric Setup / NON-RTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
brodjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choosing an Appropriate Fast Electric Setup / NON-RTR

I'm going to have to say 'sorry' again .
These big 42" hulls need big motors to run at the speeds you are after.Ryan recomended the best motor for the hull.
Anything less is gunna' burn out very quickly.Big money i'm afraid.
thats why i suggested a smaller 33" hull,which could be run very fast on a smaller XL size can motor using standard motor mounts.
We all want big and powerful but in FE boats it doesnt come cheap.
My biggest FE is 33" and all my bigger stuff is gas powered.
Brod..
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
gt monster

Thats cool then I shall battle this one out to sorce the parts I need.

I just wandered if there is an identical spec motor from another manufacturer so I could sorce the parts easier from the UK or Europe to avoid paying heavy import duties.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
brodjack

Thats the spirit,Monster,i dont give up easy either.
The only Uk source for a suitable motor which 'MIGHT' work is this one.
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=658
You would need a 580 10L,Alan could order one for you.
Note these motors are not as well made as the Neu motors and wont take the amps either but would probably work quite well in your hull,if you propped small and cooled the motor well.
Some guys are having good results with a Scorpion Outrunner motor too,i'll try and find the links to some..
Brod.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
gt monster

Would the thrust bearing included with the complete adjustable shaft setup I found on ebay?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
brodjack

Post the link again,theres so many
Brod..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
gt monster

Thanks Brod... thats the fella... does it include everything I need to go through the hull and connect to the motor?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/adjustable-sti...3A1%7C294%3A30

Where do you take your boat in Blackpool? Its just a stone throw from me in Manchester.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
gt monster

I love the building as much as the play, waiting for the parts to arrive is gonna kill me!!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
brodjack

yes all the drive hardware is there,apart from the motor coupling.You wont know which size to get yet until you decide on a motor.
We mainly go to Fleetwod,but also to a place even nearer to you called the Bluelagoon.
we run mainly gas boats but always take a FE boat with us.
Check out this lake/club.It cant be far from you,we might be there sunday.FE only club.

http://www.ampdraggers.co.uk/
Brod..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM
gt monster

Can you get an 8mm coupling to fit it... cos its eaier to ge the 8mm shaft version of the Neu motor over the 5mm shaft version?

I will have to meet up one day when I get this thing up and running... lucky I live next to a canal basin in Manchester for testing.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
brodjack

yes 8mm couplings are available.
We can meet up sometime.
Brod..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
gt monster

Do you know where I can get 8mm couplings from? It would need to fit adjustable shaft I last linked to. Am gonna sorce the parts after I have seen if I can do some dealings.

Is 8mm the same as 5/16" even though there is a very very small difference in the 2 measurements?

Is it worth lining sections of the inner hull with expanded polystyrene to stop the boat sinking should it roll over and take on water?

Ordering is underway... I hate waiting. Gonna test the boat stock this weekend so I can compare it before and after.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gt monster

Do you know of any other motors that are the same as the Neu 1527 1Y as it could be difficult to get this motor to the UK at a good price.
The Lehner 2250/9 would be a pretty close substitution and is European. I would still prefer the NEU for performance. The lehner is probably still expensive for relatively the same motor.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 04:38 PM
gt monster

Hi Guys,
Well ordering is well under ways.

Parts orgered are:-
stinger with shaft etc
fibreglass and fibreglass filler (reinforce the boat)
rudder with pickup
turn fins
servo

1. Just got to sort the motor and mounts am still looking to go with the Neu 1527/1y. Does it make a difference if I get the 8mm or 5mm shaft version is one better than the other? The only differences I can think of is that the 8mm shaft has slower reaction times due the larger enertial mass of the larger shaft, however the larger shaft may allow for tougher longer lasting bearings.

2. Can you tell me which of the mounts of this page would suit the motor and do I buy rails to fit these to, or do I need to make my own to fit the boat?
http://southriverrcboats.com/shop/ca...aram=cid%3D%26

3. Do I need to add trim tabs and can you expalin how to fit these?

4. Can I use Dean connectors to connect the battery to the ESC or should I use something else better at handling the power?

5. Finally what kinda final weight should I be looking at with the boat, should I add foam to the interior to stop the boat sinking if it should roll over?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.

Kind regards,
James
Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
ryan_t888

For my Neu I have the 8mm version. May as well get the one that has the stronger material. Your motor will also provide a large amount of torque.

No experience with those mount, I would email the guy and ask what would be best for your application. Realistically you have to make sure it will fit the motor can and will fit in your 4 or 5" rails.

Trim tabs help. The follow the trailing edge of the boat about 2mm above the bottom. I prefer to place mine from the bottom v about a prop radius distance away. Search for photos.

Use minimum 5.5mm bullet connectors on everything. Deans is not enough. Positive battery wire gets a female connector while negative battery wire gets a male. ESC connectors must match batery. ESC motor leads get all female connectros and motor gets the males. Use a piece of tubing about 25mm long to cover the male connector on the battery against shortage.

Don't worry about weight. Build with proper materials don't over do things. You should add flotation to every hull and every hatch. For small hulls I use the pink insulation foam. For the larger hulls I can stuff the piping insulation deep in to the hull.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
gt monster

Thanks Ryan.

For the rails for the motor mount do I need to build them from scatch or can you buy them?

For a 42" boat how long should the trim tabs be?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/21-45-Trim-Tab...3A4%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/67-Gas-Boat-Bi...3A3%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-trim-...3A3%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIM-TABS-rc-m...3A1%7C294%3A50

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM
ryan_t888

Buy the wood - 3/16" ply and glass them in at proper width and on center.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
gt monster

Sounds easy enough. Will await the mounts then build them around the mounts. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
k.sork

Hi

I want to convert an nitro boat I have, but are unsure what to have as a starting point. I hope anyone here can help med.
It is an kyosho catamaran (1010mm), with an .28 (4.5cc) engine, 40mm*1,4 prop. I have tried to use the guide in this thread, but are confused. Shall I design the new electrical engine from the original prop, the old engine or the hull ?

As it is an kyosho RTR, the prop is 4mm inner diam, I would therefore prefere to use the original prop size. Would thet be correct ? But a 40mm prop would according to the guide herein require a 6cell lipo, and 1100-1800kv engine. Is that correct ?

I have problem to find 100-1800kv water cooled engines at hobbyking.com (my prime supplier). Can I chose any brusless inrunner engine at 1800kv ? or do it need to be any special type ? The only 188kv engines I find are only fo 3-5cell lipo.

Best Regards / K.Sork
Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
ryan_t888

For nitro conversions you follow the same order as what is listed. Start with the hull size.

Use 6s or 8s LiPo
A motor from hobby king should be on the lower end of that range listed for kv selection.
I would choose either the 1200kv XL or the 1400kv L for 6s. For 8s choose a lower kv
ESC Find an ESC minimum 120A and 6s or 8s.

Start with the 40mm prop. You should be able to increase diameter in the upper 40's.

Ryan
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
brodjack

ORIGINAL: gt monster

Sounds easy enough. Will await the mounts then build them around the mounts. Thanks again.
This will be an interesting build,keep us well informed GTmonster,good luck..
Brod..
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
gt monster

When I get down to it and all the bits are here I'll try to sort a vid of now... strip out... rebuild and vid of after same as I normally do on the Monster GT forum on here for the 3 trucks I have built.

I don't see any issues as with the hull long as I reinforce it around where I glass the motor rails in place. I just need to mount everything and get the angle of the prop and trim tabs sorted.

On the water i'll increase power slow so I don't flip the boat during testing and angle everything for most drag and then trim out to suite

Am excited for the parts to arrive... Just in the process of procuring the motor and mounts at the moment.

Will keep you guys posted.... might start a new thread if there are going to be a lot of pics etc but will post a link here.

Most people today don't realise it, but the fun is in the build and the pleasure of making it work... Thanks again guys
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
ryan_t888

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
gt monster

Well bits are arriving tho the motor and mounts will take a few weeks to get here.

I'm not sure about the position of the motor and batteries in the boat do I get them as close to the rear of the boat and as low in the hull as possible? I'm guessing I need to put as little flex as possible in the flexible shaft to keep friction as low as possible.

Is there an image of how to install the flexable shaft into the boat? Should part of the flexible shaft be exposed to the water between the stinger and the rear of the boat? Do I need to greece of the flexible shaft in the nylon tube (which sits between brass tube and the flexible shaft)?

Thanks again

James
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
ryan_t888

It might be a good idea to get a build thread going for advice ect. This way you wil get many more opinions.

Ryan
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM
mike walker

I slipped in here to try and learn somthing about elec. boating I run nitro boats and planes I just dont seem to get along with elec. This tread has already helped me alot I have a 22in. hydro speed 600 55 amp esc and a 11v 800 mh 15c batt. it runs ok but batt. is getting hot is it the 15c is to low. Im sure Im not giving you all the info you need to give an anser to my problem I just not very good with this elec. stuff. thanks for any reply
\

everything is water cooled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.