Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

name that boat? brushless jet boat candidate?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

name that boat? brushless jet boat candidate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
BIG22BIRD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default name that boat? brushless jet boat candidate?

i have an old school nitro boat, no idea what it is. well its a boat, i know that much, and it floats. its weighs 5 pounds 5 oz. 36 1/2 inches total length. 12 1/2 inches accross the transum and 3 1/4 inches from top to botom of the transum. as you can see the prop comes out the bottom as well as the brass rudder. i would like to know what kind of boat it is. and also if anyone thinks it could make a good brushless jet boat candidate? or is it to heavy?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 AM
BIG22BIRD

Default RE: name that boat? brushless jet boat candidate?

ok how about, is a boat that is 6 pounds with all electricial, less the batteries, to much weight for a brushless motor? or do i just do all the work and just test it with small props like ryan says?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, it's not too heavy at that size. You do not need to worry about weight as much as in the past. These days we have power for even the heaviest of slugs.

At this size you may want to go with a 6s setup.

I'm not a jet guy and wouldn't know if it would work well. I do know that submerged drive must go.

Ryan
Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM
ormer

can i ask why people are against submerged drive
as this is a fsrv style boat that is designed to run on a submerged drive system
these boats are realy stable and turn on a sixpence
Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
headhunter23

I guess this forum is more for speed and having surface drive is faster than subsurface but u are giving up the turn on a dime. I have hammer ep that does 33mph on submerged drive, turns insane, runs really well for just changing the motor and running 4s.

Ivan.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
BIG22BIRD

thanks, for the reply, i have no idea on the weight thing, thats why i asked. as for ousting the drive and changing it up, og yea its a gonner, lol. but now do i jet it or do i surface drive it, i have a motor that will run 36 volts, now i just need to find a speed control.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Quicksilver

my 2 cents, I'm a bit concerned of the size and weight for a jet. Now if you got a large kmb drive, swashdrive or an mhz drive than you'd be set, but it'll set you back. So you might want to think about that first, before you go any further. A surface drive would obviously be cheaper, but than imo I wouldnt do either, I'd probably keep the submerged drive. The hull looks ok for a jet, but it's tough to tell from the pics, mainly from the glossy black.

If you couldnt afford one of the above jet suggestions, maybe you could get away with the 40mm graupner on a 800-900 size motor direct drive. gonna have to build light though. My jet-villain weighed 1.5lbs completely empty and 5.5lbs with all the gear, which is why I'm concerned. You'll need a lot of power to make it a fun jet boat, with the emphasis on fun.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

it looks like the mite be 2 lbs of epoxy just in the engine area . but any way the heaviest jet i have now it the nitro vee with out fuel it weights in at 3lbs 11 oz . that even the rx battery
like quick said put it on a diet first i would not try and power it with a 29mm it would have to be the 40mm or even the gas drive that grupner makes .
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
BIG22BIRD

yea its old and heavy, im just going to bolt an old nitro motor into it and run it till she blows. im ordering a vilain hull to begin my jet boat. thanks for the info!!!