Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Doesn't anyone know anything about brushless motors on this site?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Doesn't anyone know anything about brushless motors on this site?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 PM
flyfloatr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't anyone know anything about brushless motors on this site?

I am looking into putting this motor into my boat.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWZ3&P=7[/link]

I am not sure if it will be faster than a 19 turn brushed motor. I don't know how much power my sc needs to be able to handle considering I plan on only running 8 ni cells. I would assume someone on this site could tell me volumes but at this point I am not so sure. Anyone????? BTW, my boat is an apache 24.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM
SV27dayton

Default RE: Doesn't anyone know anything about brushless motors on this site?

I do know that the Ammo 36-50-2300kV is what alot of people like in the SV. You do know that your stock brushed speed control isn't going to work right? I don't know how well it'll run on 8 cells but that looks like a really good price for an ammo motor.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
1983shovelhead

[sm=punching.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 PM
FHHOBBIES

Thats a good price, let us know how it works if ya get it.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Tbone25
My Feedback: (4)

I have the same boat, and just installed a fiago brushless in it. It's pretty much a pain because the 5mm shaft, same as the motor you are looking at, doesn't fit the coupler that comes in the boat stock. So, I ordered this from offshoreelectics.com http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=ose-str-ci I used the 5mm to .130. Only problem is, the coupler is a little too long, and I had to trim back the drive shaft lining, and cut out part of the plastic. Being as this is an ABS plastic hull, things start to get flimsy as you trim away plastic. I'm going to try to pull myself out of bed an go try it out before work today. I guess you could trim back the coupler if need be, but I don't have the tools to do that. I'll try to keep you updated. Please keep me informed on your progress as well.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 AM
flyfloatr

Wow, you guys are too nice, I thought for sure my smart a#* remark would get a smart a#@ reply. Yes, I am aware that I will need a new sc, I just don't know if I need to buy a 60 amp or if I can go much lower. The motor I believe is rated to 60 amps or somewhere around there but I will only be running 8 cells. I have seen 35 amp esc's in the $30 range. That puts the whole experiment at about $55. We'll see, maybe I'll pull the trigger, or maybe I'll just forget about it and wait for the brushless elam to come out, I had my heart set on that boat anyways. Thanks for the input! Tbone 25, what batterys are you running?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That motor will be stronger than a brushed motor.

Just because you are running a lower voltage does not take the rated amperage of the motor down. You will still need an ESC capable of delivering the maximum current the motor would draw continuously.

The current that is drawn depends on the load applied. Voltage of the battery does not fully define the load.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
flyfloatr

SPECS: Motor Diameter: 1.42" (36mm)
Motor Length: 1.57" (40mm)
Shaft Diameter: .197" (5mm)
Shaft Length: .591" (15mm)
kV Rating: 2900 rpm/V
Weight: 6.5oz (185g)
Input Voltage: 14.8-18.5V
Max. Constant Current: 45A
Max. Surge Current: 90A
Max. Constant Watts: 833W
No Load Current: 2.7A

So based on these specs should I be looking to purchase a 45 amp sc? Maybe go with 60 to be safe? Or is it the surge current you look at? Anyone know of any cheap sc options that might compliment this motor? Am I definately going to have to prop down or should I try it out first? Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
ryan_t888

45A is what you look at and play it safe from there. 60A would be safer.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
flyfloatr

Will the sc for the sv27 work with that motor. I think the sv is a 6 pole and this motor is what, 2 pole? Does that present a problem?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Tbone25

I'm currently using an 11.1volt Lipo pack 2200mah, I got off Ebay. It is actually constructed very well. And only $24 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=025

I'm heading out to try it here in a few minutes. I'll let you know how my run times end up.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
ryan_t888

It should work, I don't see any reason why not. SV esc works down to 6 cells NiMh 7.4v LiPo.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
flyfloatr

Great, can't wait to hear about it, I'd like to know the specifics of your set up too, esc, drive hardware (stock?), etc.... Give me all the dirt. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Tbone25

I'm using a Sea King 60amp esc. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=003

The drive is all stock. Like I said though, The coupler was too long and I had to cutout some of the plastic below the battery tray. Once I'm done testing, I'll probably have to go in and brace everything. Here is a link to the motor: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=006

I'll be the first to tell you, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, lmao! It's just trial and error at this point. )
Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
flyfloatr

Well get on out there and run it man, I want to hear about it. Better yet, take a video and some pics. I am glad you got to this before me, now I can hopefully get some insight before I drop the $. One prediction I have though is a whole bunch of prop walk considering it has the stock hardware and no turn fins. I was getting prop walk with my 19 turn brushed motor and 8 ni cells.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Tbone25

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! lol Well, I can say that it is absolutely a handful! Once it gets up to speed, any light input from the steering makes it go crazy. At just half throttle, it'll get up on plane in about 6 feet. It actually flipped over in the middle of the pond and went DOA about 20 seconds later. The receiver got wet, and I had to wait for awhile for it to get close to the shore. I'll try to post some pics later, but it is an UGLY set up right now. Complete with a little duct tape!! Until I get everything lined up, I'm not worried about having everything perfect. I also had a problem with the steering rod coming out of the stock servo horn. The receiver is working fine now that it has dried up.

Then I tried running my nitro blackjack 26, an my glow igniter went doa before I finished tuning it! Didn't even make it in the water.....

So then, I flew my Dragonfly heli...........no crashes and everything went smooth! Glad I was able to end it on a good note! lol
Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Tbone25

Here's a set up for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquacraft-Superv...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM
flyfloatr

What do you mean by "went crazy"? Sounds like about what I expected with the outdrive and no turn fins to keep it in line. All that pressure from the drive system and steering system being combined. Were you at least able to get it up to full speed? If so, how did that full speed compare to the blackjack? What about temp, did you run it enough to tell if you had much heat? Thanks for posting your progress, saves me some headache!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Tbone25

With the slightest amount of steering input, it would spin out. Even as it approached top speed, it would have trouble keeping a straight line. Working on the pics next.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
alloutcustom

You should really get rid of the steerable outdrive tho. Glad to see it worked
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Tbone25

ORIGINAL: alloutcustom

You should really get rid of the steerable outdrive tho. Glad to see it worked

I totally agree. But with a complete ABS hull, accessing the rear to mount the aftermarket stuff isn't easy. Additionally, I don't know how well the plastic would hold up to all the extra holes needed for mounting. I thought about bracing the plastic with some thin balsa plywood, but getting to that area is almost impossible without splitting the hulls apart. I've got a fiberglass deep-v otw with a regular surface drive. My brushless setup will probably go in that by the time it's over.

As for run times, I only ran it for about 90 seconds total. And the nitro blackjack 26 is new, and I haven't had it in the water yet.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Tbone25

I'm not going to be able to do the pictures yet. I have to head back home for a few days. Maybe I can get some video while I'm there.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Have any turn fins on her? Definately help to stabalize.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Tbone25

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi
Have any turn fins on her? Definately help to stabalize.
No doubt about that! I have some ordered.

I finally got to try it out, in full, today. I went down to the river, and got into some wide open space. It flipped once, and lost the canopy another time. So, there was down time where it wasn't being driven. But, overall, I would say the 2200mah/11.1v battery lasted a conservative 5-6 minutes of run time.

The motor, with stock prop and hardware, will launch the boat completely out of the water if given full throttle from a dead stop (even during the last minute of run time). With a fresh battery, you can not provide full throttle for about the first two minutes, or the boat will rise out of the water, then flip or spin out (Even if applied while running half or 3/4 throttle).

I ran it about 3-4 minutes straight during the last part of the run. The motor was not even warm to the touch. The speed control was fairly warm, but I had temporarily by-passed the water cooling. At some point during this run, half of the stock prop broke off. I have installed the prop from my nitro (OCTURA Y535), and will let you know the results on the prop tomorrow.

Also, I will attempt to mount my Garmin E-trex tomorrow to check for top end speeds. It's not extremely light, but should provide some kind of base figure. I will attempt to get an official, total run time as well.

So far, I am vary pleased. It does have some bugs to be worked out. By adding turn fins, and possibly a regular surface drive, I believe these bugs would be fixed. I have a 14.8v 4500mah battery otw, but I fear that 14.8volts would be way to much

Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 AM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: Tbone25
It actually flipped over in the middle of the pond and went DOA about 20 seconds later. The receiver got wet, and I had to wait for awhile for it to get close to the shore.
Didn't you tape the hatch shut?

Steering outdrives are not very well known for high speed applications, the design leaves too much play in the system, hence the 'untidy' running...

A strut with a seperate rudder will work much better, adding a turnfin (right hand turns only) will improve the handling.

Regards, Jan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.