Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

First FE Build - Titan 29

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

First FE Build - Titan 29

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
LouDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First FE Build - Titan 29

Well I have ordered a Titan 29 from OSE. I also ordered speadmaster hardware and carbon fiber turn fins. I hope that everybody can help me with their knowledge. I am new at building. I have always been a RTR guy. Well the boat and hardware should arrive on the 17th.

I plan on doing a 4s Lipo with a Feigao 540XL 9 wind. With I think a Castle 120 lv esc. ( unless I should consider others)
Haven't bought motor or esc yet.

Well Here are the questions that I have.

1. What is the best way to mount the motor to carbon fiber? Jb weld, and also is there a perfered motor mount? I don't plan on using wood rails.

2. I know most people say to hae your boat at 33% on COG. How do you figure that out? A balance beam?

I should have plenty more to come. This is a start.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM
headhunter23

Default RE: First FE Build - Titan 29

Balance beam could work. I just stuck a piece of dowling on the bottom with tape at 31% or 8.9 in from transom and would adjust battery postion till worked. I had put motor to back, pick all the way back or right up at front for motor positon. If the motor mount is made of carbon fibre just find something that you feel confident in that can hold motor. The only time it will experience the most work would be sudden stops ie flipping and starts. Some people glass motor mounts in, epoxy, goop, I've done all three. I would say epoxy and a little bit o glass works well, the goop is nice if you ever need to move it, it will be the least amount of work to remove, but it's retardedly strong for what it is, and can flex a bit which glass and epoxy doesn't have.

Plan your water pick up. I didn't when I stuck on the rudder, where the rudder was I wished I had flipped the L bracket to the outside of the boat instead of the inside so servo would have been positioned better. Would have been a better setup inside.

Ivan.

I used stringers, although I really don't think they're neccessary for the size of the boat.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8086592/tm.htm
Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM
LouDog

Thanks for the reply and link, I actually have gotten a few good things off your build.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
SV27dayton

I mark the CG (desired) on the hull and then slide it off the stand until it tips. Adjust the guts and repeat until I'm happy and then fasten everything down.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:22 PM
LouDog

I bought this motor mount for my 540XL 9.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...se-adj540mount

I am wondering can I use a light layer of Fiber cloth and epoxy to hold the motor mount on to the carbon fiber bottom. Can I cloth the sides of the mount to make it a strong hold without using rails.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-hcar5000

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to get building.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 PM
headhunter23

Personally I would say that would be a pita to glass into hull. A simple L bracket would have sufficed and been easier to put in. You could still get some L aluminum and replace both the side pieces of that mount, which would be stronger, then glass it in. Not saying u can't glass in the current bracket you bought, it would be easier if there were some flat tabs or something that the glass could attach to other wise the glass will be in the air or you can attach it so it creates a 90 degree angle(vacuum bagging it would create better bond than just laying it down, some glass will need to go up and over the alumium for it to be bonded well, but I doubt it would be as strong as just plain gooping it(goop would be easier and I would think stronger, put it on and wet your finger to contour it, wipe finger when your about to lick it again). Remember rough up the aluminum for glass to attach to.

Ivan.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM
LouDog

A. Is there a nice 540 mount that would be better. I have looked at a lot. Thought having the ability to ajust would be best.

B. Would this mount be better or something similar?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=cen-bj16

Or this
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=grp-1157.2

C. Is their a goop your recomend. Or can I just google any goop?

Any help appreciated
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 AM
headhunter23

shoe goop, if it can keep soles on feet it'll keep motor in boat. First one looks better, you can adjust the mount by bending it a little to get the angle you want plus it will glass in real nice with the tabs.

Ivan.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
LouDog

Well, I have most the hardware in. I will begin building tonight! Still waiting on motor, esc , and mount. But I will be able to mount the hardware atleast. This hull is very impressive. Great Quality.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
LouDog