Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Venomâ„¢ King of Shaves C1 34" RTR Electric Boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Venomâ„¢ King of Shaves C1 34" RTR Electric Boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venomâ„¢ King of Shaves C1 34

Sweet!
I love the sound of twins..
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Red_Nekker

More KoS woes. 

Finally got another set of flex shafts.  Got a couple of runs in and one of the flex shafts failed,  Sort of came apart.  The obvious question would be did I have the proper rotation on them and yes, I tripled checked that they were rotating the proper way.  The same side failed this time as it did the first time.  So now I have two good flex shafts but they both have the same spin.

My question is can I reverse the polarity on one of the engines, use two same type props, and run the boat with both engines running in the same rotation.  If so how will the boat run.  I have wire shafts on order but would like to use the boat till I receive them???

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 PM
srt10

you can run your props in the same direction
it will change the handling some, but it will work good..
Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Red_Nekker

Thanks SRT10.

I know what I proposed was not optimum but when you have had the run of bad luck with the KoS that I have, you make due with the inventory of parts you have left. Two sets of flex shafts on the same side failed twice. Not to mention a wonky radio out of the box.

I only have two of the same shafts left, so I figured changing the rotation on one of the motors, and using two same props, I might be able to float this piece of crap until I get new couplers and wire drives. I assumed running in this configuration might create excessive tourque in one direction, and would be willing to take the risk unless doing so would cause it to come apart.

After my last run I noticed a five inch crack in the finish, on the bottom of one of the "pontoons". Must have hit a submerged ice berg.

Surfing many of the forums on this boat there are few positive comments about the KoS and the ability of VGI to supply inventory. Must be because of high failure rates and high demand for replacement parts. Bought this boat 20 July and had to wait two weeks for a replacement radio. Got the radio and lost a flex shaft and all the attached hardware out the back of the boat when the coupler let go (in spite of the preventative measures). Got the the replacement parts a month later (not from VGI since they were out of stock). Second run of the season and the flex shaft failed (came apart between the coupler and drive shaft). It was installed properly.

Figured I have spent about $1000 (including batteries and spare parts, shipping) to get a total of 20 minutes run time. If only I had checked the RC forums before buying this piece of crap. Got lots of compliments on how sharp the boat looks though, however, this is countered by the snide comments about it being in drydock for most of the summer.

I can hardly wait to see what goes wrong when I get the new couplers and wire drives,  Probably blow the stock ESC and / or motors.

********* Any recommendations on a similiar size electric Cat with a proven track record? Price is not an issue.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

You can just buy upgrade parts from other vendors and eventually do away with the stock stuff. And that way you wont have to deal with venom replacement parts being out of stock. You will also end up with better quality parts by doing this. Since you already have the hull you can fix it that if you wanted too. PM me and I will send you some links to a couple places that sell upgraded parts for these boats.

If you like to build there are godspeed 32" cats that look nice.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
srt10

I agree..
get some Feigao motors and better esc's and away you go
I already have a Mean Machine or I would get the new Proboat Geico cat
Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
JPriami

GPS readings from today's runs. Stock 70amp esc's and stock motors.
11.1v 36mm props 40.9mph
14.8v 36mm props 55.8mph

When I get my other cf 40mm prop to replace one I lost I'll see what the gps says.

Oh it's been a good run for the day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61323.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1496275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98600.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1496276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15388.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1496277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47794.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1496278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47715.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1496279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56091.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1496280  
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Red_Nekker

ORIGINAL: NitroSS

11.1v 36mm props 40.9mph
14.8v 36mm props 55.8mph

When I get my other cf 40mm prop to replace one I lost I'll see what the gps says.

NitroSS

Is the boat in the pictures the Dragon Mini Cat 820 or the KoS in disguise? Have done searches to find this boat and I believe HobbyKing was the only one I could find.

Is it sold under some other name and stocked by any US online stores that you know of:

The specs for the mini cat 820 did not look that great did you upgrade the stock electric motor and ESCapart from using the 14.8 v to get 56 mph?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: Red_Nekker

11.1v 36mm props 40.9mph
14.8v 36mm props 55.8mph

NitroSS

Is the boat in the pictures the Dragon Mini Cat 820 or the KoS in disguise? Have done searches to find this boat and I believe HobbyKing was the only one I could find.

Is it sold under some other name and stocked by any US online stores that you know of:

The specs for the mini cat 820 did not look that great did you upgrade the stock electric motor and ESC apart from using the 14.8 v to get 56 mph?

Is the boat in the pictures the Dragon Mini Cat 820 or the KoS in disguise? Answer: They are the same boat pretty much. Im pretty sure venom gets their boat from the same place but venom has a few changes on theirs. I know 820mm isnt 34 inches. But Ive notices americans talk everything up in advertising. They count the running gear and that makes it 34 inches. but 820mm is just the bare hull length.

I got my boat from the UK (around London) its the exact same hull as the Venom EKOS (just a different paint scheme). Has the same running hardware too. The motors are different than the venom EKOS but around the same KV as the venom inrunners. Mine are 2881Kv and venoms are about 2850 or 2880? Venoms motors have different cans. My boat came with a little different ESC's too. Mine are 70amp esc's. The venom ones are 60amp (but some say they are really only 50amp) The hobbyking jollymotor catamaran is also only a 50amp esc's. But looks to have the same motors as mine. I know the jollymotor cat list the motors as being 2636 but mine was listed as having those same motors but mine came with 2881KV.

I haven't upgraded anything on my boat its pretty much stock. except for,
1. I changed how my cooling lines are run thats about it. And Im going to change it again when my new tubing arrives.
2. I have the venom 36mm machined props. I did sharpen them tho because they were not sharpened and had a square blunt edge that was stupid on a prop!
3. I modified my rudder a bit. I cut it down and sharpened it. I also slightly changed how its mounted in the rudder bracket (POS). Im planning on a whole new rudder setup later.
4. I coat my flex cables in T9 oil along with lightly greasing them and have very little resistance in the drive line by making sure everything is lined up nicely.
5. Not sure if this helped but I did it because I found a slight squeak in one of my motor bearings, Now the squeak is gone and the motors seem to be in really good shape. I have run my motors submerged in pennzoil ultra synthetic to make sure everything moves freely and the bearings have good oil in them.
6. I replaced all the battery connectors to ones that are better quality and I do a much better soldering job than the factory.
7. play with your strut angles a little adjustment at a time & make sure the struts are equal to each other. Dont just go off the increments on the strut itself check to see how square that stuff is to the steps on the bottom of the hull. I'd explain more but it would be better if I took a pic of how I do it.
8. sealed the struts to the hull because there was a slight gap enough for water to get in or grease/oils to get out.
9. replaced steering servo with hitec 645mg

I will be installing water pickups in the bottom of the hull on the back of the rear steps someday in the near future. Because from todays still pics of the boat moving i can tell the water pickups are not in the water at high speed. the boat raises up and just rides with the back of the rear steps in the water and just the half the props and rudder are in the water. And thats really a key to speed here because you have less wetted surface in the water creating drag.

Ive got new motors (Feigao 9 XL's) for it but I havent put them in. And I dont know if I will be putting them in yet because I want to see what i can squeeze out of the stock ones still. I had 2 40mm CF props I was about to test last weekend and lost one within 30 seconds of being out in the water with them and the new lipos. but just the quick throttle blips and the new props it was looking like it was going to be wild. I have some on the way and hope to test next weekend.

And sorry I dont know of nor could I find any american vendors with this same hull setup/paint scheme
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Red_Nekker

Justin:

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide all that information. It is very informative and I picked up on some great tips. Sounds like you have been doing this for some time. Again many thanks.

Red.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Red_Nekker

Many thanks to Jan at KINTEC RACING ( http://kintecracing.com/ ) and Jeff at WOHLT'S RC BOATS ( http://www.rcraceboat.com/ ) for coming through with the replacement parts to float my EKoS.  They came through with stock that VENOM GROUP INT. could not.  They were top notch to deal with and fast delivery.  Prices were better than VGI. They are also based in the U.S.  Looking forward to checking out the upgraded couplers and wire drives.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 PM
JPriami

I had one of the stock plastic cooling jackets break Friday when I changed the cooling tubing out and run thing slightly different so the esc and motors have their own outlets.
So I just put the new 9xl motors and the aluminum jackets in Friday night. Along with the CF 40mm props and some loctite on the prop nut so I don't loose another prop. Tested Saturday without the gps. Ran good. But it was a bit windy. I caught some wind and the boat went airborne and did a flip in the air. But it managed to land and be rightened up thank you sea gods! Cause I wasn't wanting to go get a flipped boat. After that I brought her back in for the day. Went home and checked for damage. None luckly.
Today's gps test.
9xl's/11.1v lipo/40mm = 45.4 MPH
9xl's/14.8v lipo/40mm = 61.5 MPH

I have some video but it's not to great cause it's off my phone. I will try to clean it up some and post later when I get time.

Good day today
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
srt10

Great job NitroSS!
and your boat does not say venom on it
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
JPriami

I can make a sticker lol
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
srt10

I can make a sticker lol
Noooooooo!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM
JPriami

Ok this video is not from my phone but from the small camera i use to mount onboard some of my rc craft. it has a clip on it and this time i clipped it to the nose peice on my glasses. what a great idea i had. but the down side is you can hear me breathing lol. guess i should hold my breath next time haha. but it worked for making a video and driving at the same time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVIWNnjVR6g[/youtube]
Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
srt10

Awesome job buddy!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
JPriami