Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Were talking and complaining about rust on the motor bearings but looking to put bearings into the water?

Make sure the bearings you are buying are stainless... Thats stainless races and stainless balls.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Rake

You may well have a point bass but tenshock and etti use them. The bearings in a ten dollar motor can't have been stainless though. I recently read that jeff wholt (sp) advocates them and prefers them to bushes. Astec thinks I'm wasting time and money. Who knows !
My existing bushings are already worn though and I have a new strut coming so am prepared to experiment for the time being.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Well if its rubber shielded you probably have a chance. It will never be totally shielded- water and small particles will get into it.

My strut is not tight but its not real sloppy loose.

Maybe check ID and replace the teflon bearings in it? Or replace with quality bronze. Would be nice to know what the true ID of the strut w/out teflon bearing is.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

Well if its rubber shielded you probably have a chance. It will never be totally shielded- water and small particles will get into it.
Bass, you're right you can't stop water from entering, but you want to keep the lubricant from washing out. And while rubber sounds suitable, it's usually a contact-type seal which will slow things down. Teflon is best suited - it's a non-contact seal. Or Boca's Ultra-seal is good too.

Rake: I found [link=http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/57/SFR144LL-01250x02500x01094]this [/link] one for $12.95 - a little pricey, I know. But they sell singles. They also have a SFR144ZZUU which is their 'Ultra seal' at $9.95, and a hybrid ceramic bearing SFR144C-YZZ for $9.95 which may be most suited to the task. Ceramic is ultra low friction, doesn't require much lubrication, suited for high rpm's, and impervious to the baddies. I used ceramic bearings in a 40mm jet drive when the factory carbon bearings rusted (wht??) and they are ultra smooth. You may also find stainless bearings to fix that rusted motor here.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Rake

Thanks guys.

I tried in the UK and can't get teflons so will have to order from US if I go this way.
It all seems like alot of hastle but may be worth it in the end.

Incidentally, with the coupling from the bolt 1 motor on bolt 2 - no ovaling proving the coupling as the problem.

The KEDA 4800kv arrived today and from first impressions it seems like a quality motor. No front back play in the shaft at all and the end caps are metal, the wires appear thick - all in all pleased.
The only thing is - no watercooling. It is finned with no jacket.

I'll run the cooling via the ESC alone and see what the temps are like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76390.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1600326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13667.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1600327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69878.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1600328  
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Rake

I dont beleive this !

Tried setting the ETTI ESC for 4 cells and it will enter the progamming mode ok, I can select 4S but it wont respond to full brake and exit programming.

Furthermore the servo will not operate at all. Throttle is ok.

I tried different motor, different Servo and different Rx - no change. Servo still wont respond.

I do hope this ESC has not failed !

EDIT - Tried another ESC - Same issue. Looks like it might be the flysky Tx but not sure how to troubleshoot this without another Tx
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 AM
sundogz

Rake, are you located on an ancient burial ground? Do you hear strange noises at night? Ha! just kidding of course. I'll have to chew on that one for a while - that particular problem doesn't show up in searches of the GT3B problems. Time to get a backup transmitter methinks - at least to be able to troubleshoot this one. They are cheap enough to be sure, but the price will be going up (already is in some places) when they become more popular. You might get a few receivers too - I promise you they will increase in price when more people are dependent on them.

I have mixed feelings about that KEDA motor. It isn't at all like the one pictured - that had the longitudinal cooling fins. The plan was to remove those and install yours instead. A 4800kv motor is going to heat up and without proper airflow can (probably will) overheat. I use a similar one in a small (tiny) jet drive boat, but I have a 'hood scoop' directly over the motor and hot air is allowed to exit the rear. You could wrap small tubing around it, but that is terribly inefficient (waste of time IMO). I have a Castle/Neu 15151Y with fins and waterjacket that does well, but the jacket is slightly oversized to allow for the 'O' rings to seal between ribs. No, I think I would return that motor and search for another, but that is just me.

I'll be thinking about your transmitter dilemma, in the meantime consider getting another. If this one is faulty, maybe you can return it for a replacement.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Rake

Hi sdz - I am beggining to wonder.

What on earth is going on with my experiences ! Unbelievable.

Regarding the motor - the one in the pic upon closer inspection does not have a jacket either

It powers up super nice and gives a good kick. I'm going to keep it and try. The last 4800 hardly heated up at all so maybe I'll get away with it. I could always grind the fins off and fit a jacket later.
At the end of the day I made the mistake of not seeing that it was a jacket.

The Tx issue - that makes me mad ! I now tried 2 Rx's 2 Servo's and 2 ESC's. It must be the Tx.
I've changed the batts too to no avail. One thing to note is that if I try to programme the ESC it does not recognise full brake and exit programmingmode either which further points to the Tx.

I got it from China ebay so chances are I wont get far witrh that. I might try flysky.

Found this - http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11260

Really quite frustrated here at the moment and wondering if its all worth the effort.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Rake

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-kb204...-p-403308.html

Oops.

Watercooled option was there all along.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:20 AM
nickster46

Do you guys run these 4800kv motors on 4s or 2s?
I wouldn't give it a try on 4s at all, and for sure no go without a good working water cooling.
As you know I fried a 4800kv outrunner almost immediately. and an outrunner has got some airflow wich provides a little cool air.
AS you guys are talking about 4800kv motors on 2s batts I am starting to get more and more curious about that.
If  Handling and Speed : 4s 2604kv = 2s 4800kv
 than I won't even bother to go for 2s, I don't have to put these 2s batts in serie, so I can use single batts for the same running time and I get weight reduction too.
Anyone who can confirm this? or at least share the experiences...

Rake, I guess your place is doomed. after the pond ate your first bolt, you crashed very ugly, and after that you get serious troubles with every piece of the hardware. Maybe try a priest
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM
nickster46

It must be at night at the location where you guys live. Or everybody is playing at the lake with the Bolt

I just started a thread about my ordered NTN-400, I hope it will be as good as this thread.

location: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10491128
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 AM
sundogz

Nope, its morning here - it is a Holiday where Rake lives - the Royal Wedding, doncha know! Yes he's running a 4800kv on 2S. And yes, I agree about not running one without a water jacket. It's bound to fry pronto. Especially with the luck he's had laltely []That boat you bought looks to be a nice one - maybe they'll become popular and you'll get a good readerbase to compare notes with.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Rake

Currently camping sans bolt. Need a wee break. Ordered the keda no fin version 4800 and new tx Rx. The keda really kicks when you apply throttle. Nick 2s works just fine
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM
sundogz

Did you get to attend the Royal wedding? Looks like everyone had an enjoyable time.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Rake

Not my cup of tea sdz. Prefer being on a remote peninsula with the hills waves and sheep. Totally missed it. My wife did go to a British street party though but she stayed home.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 AM
nickster46

If I'not misstaking, I still own a brand new boxed 4800kv outrunner from Mystery.
I guess I'll give it a try on 2s, but the disadvantage is that I don't  got a watercooled head for it, so I am taking the risk of frying it (again )

Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 AM
sundogz

That's not the only risk Nick, outrunners with their magnets under the spinning can are bad about torque roll. Be sure to place the battery on the extreme left of the hull or it will tend to flip whenever you catch air.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 AM
nickster46

Yes I'm aware of the torque roll risk. but when I start to run it, as always, I start very careful with the throttle.
But on the other hand, Why should I change something that runs fine? and I have got some other jobs left that needs to be done
- fixing my hpi savage's rear diff
- fixing my fg marder
- when my new boat NTN 400 arrives I will have to put some time it that boat to get it run properly
- and my 1:1 car needs some new front brakes etc.

Does any of you guys have flotation inside the hull? I was thinking about maybe put some bubble plastic into the arms of the hull, I have plenty of it and it's always laying around.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: nickster46

Yes I'm aware of the torque roll risk. but when I start to run it, as always, I start very careful with the throttle.

Does any of you guys have flotation inside the hull? I was thinking about maybe put some bubble plastic into the arms of the hull, I have plenty of it and it's always laying around.
I was talking about when you run over your own wake and catch a little air, it will try to flip over. I put pool noodle wedges in mine and don't forget to put some under the hatch so you won't lose it if it comes off.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM
nickster46

that's a great idea, putting it under the hatch.. I forgot about that. The last thing you want is to loose the hatch

Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 AM
msmail715

I have the small bolt and I just ordered the Piranah 400. It has the same motor and same 30 amp speed control. On the computer it says it takes 7.4 volt instead of the 11.1 for the Bolt. Anyone have any idea why. Or do you think I can run it with the 11.1?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Rake

Update on my Tx,

I emailed the ebay seller I got mine from and they offered to send me a new one and let me keep the old one.

I had already ordered another from a different seller thinking that I would get no joy from the original !

I may well be selling one of the two to recoup the cash.

Still got to wait for it to arrive from china though.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM
sundogz

Welcome back. Maybe you should hold onto all of it for a little while, at least until your confidence recovers!

MSMAIL: Yes, you can run a 3S lipo in it. Will be much faster.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Rake

R
ORIGINAL: nickster46

If I'not misstaking, I still own a brand new boxed 4800kv outrunner from Mystery.
I guess I'll give it a try on 2s, but the disadvantage is that I don't got a watercooled head for it, so I am taking the risk of frying it (again )

Race you to the chip pan nick, my Keda finned against your outrunner..... both on 2S - Who fries first
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
nickster46

Looking at my history and my nickname BBQ here on the forum I guess I will be the first one to fry it!
Unfortunately I can't run this week, because there is a lot of sunshine but also a lot of waves on the water.
And tonight I'll have to watch ManU vs. Schalke 04 so tonight there won't be any time left. Rake, do you watch the game tonight?
I guess you  are a Liverpudlian

I should try to sell the TX as well, good job from the seller to send a new one though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.