Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
*traxxasallfor*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

Got my mini rio today. First charged the batttery up on my own charger, not the car charger.

Took it out to drive it, first it turned alll the way right. Got that solution figured out but ITWILLNOTGETONPLANEFORITSLIFE!

So i threw the boat in the water and it was on plane fine. Worked until you turned and it fell off plane then it basically sucked.

The water WASDEADCALM.

What gives
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

First off next time take advise from the board.
And about the rio that's how it is it take a while to get up on plane ...a better battery pack will help some but i think you will need to change the prop i forgot what i used on mine i think octura makes little plastic ones and they work better than the stock one.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
ALL RIDER

i put a syock shoch wave 26 prop on my son's it was instantly on plane but got very hot so any other suggestins on props would great
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

First off next time take advise from the board.
And about the rio that's how it is it take a while to get up on plane ...a better battery pack will help some but i think you will need to change the prop i forgot what i used on mine i think octura makes little plastic ones and they work better than the stock one.
ok first, this is traxxasallfors older brother. I suggested a mini rio because
1. i have the big version and its good
2. the boat club im in races them
3. i thought about getting one, and there a thread with like 40 pages on it. so plenty of info.
4. you can see my post RECENTLY in the mini rio thread asking if all the issues were sorted out.

SO BACK TO THE BOAT
you said it takes time to get on plane. IT DOESNT EVEN GET ON PLANE! i drove it myself for like 5 min all across our pond and it NEVER got on plane. glass water too.
its pretty sad that he spends 115 bucks on a boat and it needs a better battery and prop out of the box to WORK CORRECTLY
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
shenlonco

It should get on plane but it takes a few feet... sounds like maybe your battery was not fully charged maybe?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Traxxas4fun

we charged it twice on his duratrax pirhna charger.. charged at at 1.1a up to 1150 mah.. so it SHOULD be fully charged.. it lasts longer than 10 minutes doing its not plane crap
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
shenlonco

take a look at the drive and see if it's binding there should be a little gap of play inbetween the drive dog and stuffing tube. Take out the drive cable and re lube it and give it another go.
Also maybe your prop is bad.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Traxxas4fun

How could it be bad? and there seems to be no binding..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
shenlonco

The prop can be bad did you hit any rocks or anything that could have scuffed the blade?
also make sure you are getting 100% full throttle turn the boat on and on the radio push the throttle trim up just intile you here the motor starting to make nose then turn down the trim just far enough to stop power to the motor.
Also one last thing try the boat with the battery placed more tawards the rear and then try it with the battery more tarwards the front and see how she goes.... also a boat wont get on plane if there is weeds in the pond the pond needs to be clear of weeds andy little weed caught on the boats turn fin or prop will slow it down so much that it won't get on plane.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Traxxas4fun

there isnt even a throttle trim on the boat.. And i didnt hit any rocks.. and there are weeds in the pond, but put it in at an open spot.. the weeds are just in little splotches on the side
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

there isnt even a throttle trim on the boat.. And i didnt hit any rocks.. and there are weeds in the pond, but put it in at an open spot.. the weeds are just in little splotches on the side
Sounds like it's the weeds to me.
Try another pond and see how she goes.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
res3567

HEY MR. TRAXXAS and MR TRAXXAS...Read my reply to the 'ABOUT TO GET A TRAXXAS BLAST" THREAD" and that may answery'alls question........TRY A NEW PROP!
Good info........
Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 AM
wparsons

An x431 apparently works well.  I had the same thing happen on a mini rio I picked up for my gf's brother.  It did pick up a bunch of weeds but sometimes came back in completely clean, but I grabbed a shockwave 26 prop anyway to try out(no LHS has octura around me).
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Traxxas4fun

im about 99.99999% sure its not weeds. there would be no weeds in it after we brought it in because it fell off plane and wouldnt get back up on plane..

were bringing it back..

looking at the zigzag racer or the mini c.. or wildcat
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
wparsons

I would try another prop before giving up... the mini rio is faster and handles better than any of the other boats you listed.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: wparsons

I would try another prop before giving up... the mini rio is faster and handles better than any of the other boats you listed.
Yep but don't bother wasting your time with this poster you give him advise but he never listens!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Cope44

Well I to just got a mini rio and it would not get on plane, Stock prop and 2 cell lipo, Prop, shaft and dog fell off @ 2 mineuts in so cant say if it would have ever gotten on plane. New drive stuff and she'll plane if you toss it.
Went to shockwave 26 prop W/2 cell lipo and was quite the as kicker untill motor burned up 5-10 mineuts in?

Now she's got the B2835-2700, 35-40 amp ESC, 2 cell 1050 30C lipos and she screems. With 3 Cell is just about undrivable at WOT!!!

I bought her knowing it was just a platform, so Yeah it may suck out of the box, but now I think I may even give the 27supervee a run for it's money!

The AC wild cat? Not even close I was passing them stock before the shaft fell into the lake, Mini thunder? No sealed cockpit so it sucks.

The mini rio is unbeatable in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Basstronics

Mine sucked out of the box also.

The battery seemed to need to charge/discharge 3-4 times before the boat ran better.

Same way with two reef racer 2's I bought. Same battery, same issue.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
wparsons

I should try cycling the pack a couple times to see if that helps, definitely can't hurt!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
res3567

Goodness dude we are telling you what your problem is....and I even yelled at you to get you and your bro to listen....are you not reading ALL the posts?

im about 99.99999% sure its not weeds. there would be no weeds in it after we brought it in because it fell off plane and wouldnt get back up on plane..

were bringing it back..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Basstronics

The boat took about 1-2 foot to get up on plane. I remember having to keep the battery as far back as possible. If its to far forward forget about it.

The stock motor is weaksauce.

I upgraded the motor to the VR3 or something like that... $15 motor. Made a hell of a difference without turning to brushless.

Some people will never be happy. For $100 what do you expect? A rocket ship? If you want a fast boat bring your allowance or enjoy what you have!!! Fast is not free!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
res3567

Agreed...have a relative who is the same way....he has two Mini Rio's, a Rio EP, an Alligator Tours, and a MVD...and he don't listen half the time either. I ran all of them an the lil Rio's ran great for him, but he kept upgrading and upgraing and waits for me to travel to Ft Worth from Houston to run them. I do all the maintenance which aint no big deal, but he gets scared pretty quickly once any one of his boats are put in the water. Frustrating to say the least.......His irritating quote..."lets bring it/them in"
ORIGINAL: Basstronics

The boat took about 1-2 foot to get up on plane. I remember having to keep the battery as far back as possible. If its to far forward forget about it.

I upgraded the motor to the VR3 or something like that... $15 motor. Made a hell of a difference without turning to brushless.

Some people will never be happy. For $100 what do you expect? A rocket ship? If you want a fast boat bring your allowance or enjoy what you have!!! Fast is not free!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
shenlonco

I told him before i will tell him again get the hop up motor aquacraft says to use on there site,,,,,,,,
ElectriFly T-400 7.2-8.4V Ferrite Motor

it will get way faste and work much better than stock!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Traxxas4fun

ORIGINAL: res3567

Goodness dude we are telling you what your problem is....and I even yelled at you to get you and your bro to listen....are you not reading ALL the posts?

were bringing it back..

it isnt the weeds! there arent any weeds in the middle of the pond, all the weeds are around the edges! i drive my RIO EP IN THERE. WORKS FINE
Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Traxxas4fun

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

lets see, for 100 bucks, i expect the boat to work! yes the motor spins the shaft, yes the servo moves the steering. But i have to THROW IT to get it on plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.