Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

flip over engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

flip over engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 AM
fmiguel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flip over engine

Hi guys im having this problem with a zenoah260pum. The boat flip over twice. First one was ok but the second flip the engine remains stoped 3 days now. The insides are all ok. The plug has spark, fresh fuel, the carb is ok so is the fuel line. I also tried with 2 diferent spark plugs but no matter what i do the engine wont ignite. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
danielplace

Default RE: flip over engine

I hope you have flooded the engine with a awful lot of water dispersant(rustoff, wd40, CRC, corrosion X) and oil before the 3 days passed. The raw steel bearings with water can be ruined in that time. Rust is a high rpm ball bearings worst killer. Was the engine completely shut downwhen it ingested water. Hydralicing these engines can destroy a engine and it might still run fine but blow later from the bearings indenting the rod or races. We hope that is not your case.
Lets see what is going on that it won't pop. You need good compression of clean fuel and spark(check that you have good spark still) for this to happen. I would start by being sure the bottom end is flushed and dry other than some fumes we hope to get to fire. Take out the plug and bring the piston to the top and turn the engine carb up and about a couple ounces of gas/oil premix, now upright the engine and very slowly pul it through for a minute. Now hold the engine upside down with no plug and pull the rope rapidly for 15 seconds or until there is only mist and no liquid coming out. Reinstall a dry plug make sure you have good clean gas at the carb. If the engine still won't fire after half a dozen pulls with no choke then pull the plug and see if it is wet or dry and either dry it off and retry or if dry reinstall and choke engine and try again. Have you checked tat flywheel key is not sheared as it will have fuel and spark but still not run because the spark is out of time. Some times you can have carb issues that will not allow a engine to run that is why many times it is best to just get it to fire with small shots of fuel first and when it will run like that connect the fuel line to the carb and see if it still will run and idle.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
fmiguel

Hi Daniel thanks for your reply. The flip over was on lake, no salt water. After this incident, on the next day i sprayd the engine twice with WD40 and pulled the starter a couple of times. I can still feel the engine compression but i also hear a clank when the piston comes up or down. I did what you told with the fuel. Bottom line i have a very good spark with a new NGK CRM7H, but still the engine won't start. It's completely dead. I also disconnected the Kill Switch. From what i see it seems the timing of the ignite has changed. I dont understand much of that, and i have no idea how to check if that is really the problem with the flywheel like you said...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Dockman

Check the flywheel keeper! Maybe it sheered?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
fmiguel

Hi Dockman, those components appear to be the same as they were before the accident
Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
MrMikeG

1 day with water in the engine?? Even if you get it started you will need new bearings, 1 hour is too long to let it sit with water in it!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: fmiguel

Hi Daniel thanks for your reply. The flip over was on lake, no salt water. After this incident, on the next day i sprayd the engine twice with WD40 and pulled the starter a couple of times. I can still feel the engine compression but i also hear a clank when the piston comes up or down. I did what you told with the fuel. Bottom line i have a very good spark with a new NGK CRM7H, but still the engine won't start. It's completely dead. I also disconnected the Kill Switch. From what i see it seems the timing of the ignite has changed. I dont understand much of that, and i have no idea how to check if that is really the problem with the flywheel like you said...

Any water will rust and quick. If you have a clunk noise you probable you have a issue. I would have to guess the wrist pin needle bearings and/or it's retainer is shattered. Did you remove the piston from the rod and check as this is usually what fails in a hydraulic. Are you sure it is not still full of and liquids as that could cause a cluck sound as it tries to compress something it really can't and tighten the combustion chamber. My suggestion might be if you don't know these small engines see if you can find someone to look it over. Just really afraid you might get it running only to fail and completely trash everything as that may not be the case now. You might just need a $40 crank and $6 wrist pin and bearing now but if it runs and comes apart you will need a new $200+ engine.

This is what hydraulicing a engine or continuing to run one after a hard dunk does, you should have seen the cranks, cylinders and cases. It appears the pistons failed but most were the result of bearing failures locking up the engine with shrapnel. One was a butterfly ingestion. LOL

Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
fmiguel

Hi, sorry if i didnt explain the best way, the engine didnt sit with water on it. After the second flip i completely remove the water out untill gasoline/oil started to come out from the pipe and the plug hole. On the next day what i did was spray with WD40. It only makes a crank sound if i pull the starter very slowly, otherwise is the same, with a good compression. Thanks for the support guys I most likely strip the engine down to check for any traces of damage even if the engine comes alive.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM
dicko

Check your carby for water in there, open it up & spray it out with water dispersant. I've seen that cause problems before