Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

The throttle cable should be easy to replace if you need to, just hit your local hobby shop and they should have it made by Sullivan or Du-Bro.
Your end point adjustments may be off on the transmitter allowing it to move too far especially when shutting down the engine as shown by the bent throttle cable. Try loosening the cable at the set screw holding the cable at the carb end shown right there in your picture then pull the cable snug but not tight before tightening the screw back down to take up the slack. Check throw on your servo and set your neutral trim to where (with the radio system on) you have idle speed. Pull to make sure you have full throttle then push the trigger to see if the carb fully closes yet has no slack in the cable. If it does then re-adjust the cable.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM
mistycreekboats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem with that cable set up is it's hard to get a full range or carb movement from that side of carb

if you look at this it's a video of some boats I built for local hobby shop - they sell Pro Boat so wanted their hulls with Pro Boat parts

I changed thottle servo [position in box now so it pulls from the front of servo box not the side like stock

then reposition cable on rear or cylinder head (use a Bonzi Thottle kit and arm for 813 and it will all fit) now it will pull from other side of carb and give you a full range of thottle arm movement and way smoother

here is vid

http://youtu.be/EmFp73hhkus

bz cable http://bonzisports.com/store/product...roducts_id=188

With the parts u have now I think if u reposition thottle servo - u will only need a small cable clamp for rear of head and a carb arm (like in BZkit) everything else u already have in the stuff now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68138.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1581862  
Old 03-21-2011, 07:45 AM
wakeskater02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, that is exactly the pieces I am going to order, BZ has a whole kit that comes with everything there.  My problem is moving the standard servo.  Because of the two High Torque servos for steering, the stuffing box is very crampt. 

It is almost like I have to have to standard servo flat as it is.  With the configuration that I currently have it seems impossible to change the configuration of that servo.  I am going to order the throttle cable and see what else I need from there.  I wonder if I need the BZ long assembly, or the BZ standard assembly?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
mistycreekboats

Looks like you have enough room to just take thottle servo arm off and rotate it 90 degrees and just move boot - so cable will pull from front of box you can use same set up and just add the carb arm

Boat looks nice

Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
wakeskater02

I guess I could try that.  What should I use to fill the "Other" hole in the stuffing box with?  Maybe an easy dab of Silicone?  Or should I glass it over?  I also, took out the boost bottles, so I no longer have them in the way.  I would imagine that If I moved the servo arm, I could probably run the short throttle cable as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
mistycreekboats

Couple daps of white paint over old hole - i would glass it if I had stuff available.or even little JB Weld dapped over some backingplate (maybe a dime wouldbe about right sizefor a little backing plate) And ya maybe short cable .......

See this stuff ain't so hard ............
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Rsat

If you can afford it I would strongly reccomend that you ditch the pro boat steering set up entirely. The boat will handle quite well with a single rudder and servo set up. I used the Bonzi Radio box and I was able to utilize one of the transom holes to exit the hull with the new rudder control rod. The other hole i glassed closed. I tried to enjoy this boat for a couple of seasons using the stock box and hardware Both items were a constant source of frustration. The steering is definitely the "weak link" in the equation here and In my opinion using it in any capacity puts you at risk of some type of malfunction down the road.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
wakeskater02

Yea, whatever I do I want to make it look super clean. My boat now is ran super clean after taking off all the crap. I got rid of the boost bottles, got rid of the water pump, got rid of all the excess water and vacuum lines and changed out the manifold plate to an aluminum plate and new gaskets.

As for changing the whole radio box, that is something that I just don't want to do on this boat. I am going to be getting the 60" Bonzi Skater soon, so this is just my "experimentation" boat until I get that one.
ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Couple daps of white paint over old hole - i would glass it if I had stuff available.or even little JB Weld dapped over some backingplate (maybe a dime wouldbe about right sizefor a little backing plate) And ya maybe short cable .......

See this stuff ain't so hard ............
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
wakeskater02

So I haven't really worked on the boats too much. Next week I am going to order all new parts for my BJ55.
I am ordering everything from Bonzi Sports (To keep theme) with the boat. I am ordering a new throttle cable assembly, new water cooled exhaust coupler, new water jacket orings, 6 foot of water line, regular prop nut and some other misc small pieces.
As for the aeromarine, we installed all the water lines and ran the fuel lines. We are going to be in the process of ordering the radio and all the electronics for the stuffing box. I need to order a kill switch and will probably order a couple direct drive rods, one for throttle, and one for steering.
I didn't take pictures the other day as it was raining and I didn't stay at my dad's house too long. I will have another update next weekend.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
wakeskater02

So, I haven't really done too much since I last updated my thread. I did decide that I needed a couple new pieces for my boat as it wouldn't idle correctly. I just placed an order from Bonzi Sports with a bunch of new parts for my boat in the order.

I am hoping to figure out how to connect the new throttle cable to the backside of the carb rather than the front where the idle screw is. My package should arrive at my house on Friday and I am hoping to get working on my boat on Saturday. If I can get everything worked out, I would like to maybe take it out on Sunday to the local lake.

Here is the parts list that I ordered from Bonzi Sports....

BONZI Prop Nut
Piston Stop Tool (for Zenoah G260PUM & G231PUM, QD25)
1/4" Plastic Line Clamp
BONZI Throttle Cable Assembly (standard)
Water Line - Sold per foot
Water Jacket "O" Ring - Large
Water Jacket "O" Ring - Small
BONZI Exhaust Cooling Ring - v. 2.0

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM
wakeskater02

So, I haven't been on here in a while.  We have made a bunch of progress on both of our boats.

On my BJ55 yesterday I completely replaced the throttle cable with a new Bonzi Sports throttle cable kit.  I ran in to problems originally, because I actually bought the "small" cable kit and I needed the bigger one.  If you look in the pictures above, you will notice that the throttle cable connected to the front of the carb, I have since changed it to work on the backside of the carb.  In order to do this I had to take the old on off, and install the new one.  

From there I was trying to set my radio to kill the motor.  I originally decided to change the throttle cable, because even though the other one worked it was kinked a little and very loose.   The  problem was that with the old throttle cable being loose, I couldn't get it fine tuned enough, to use the radio to kill the motor.

With the new one, it is nice and snug and any little move of the servo makes the throttle cable move in the desired direction.  Works great and finally got it to idle correctly using the up and down trim on the radio.

As for the Aeromarine boat, my dad has made great progress on it.  About 75% of all the aftermarket hardware was custom made by my dad out of composite.  We got the motor in and mounted, we got the collet on the motor and the fuel tank bonded in to the hull.  Are next step is to bond the stuffing box and get the electronics.  We also ran all fuel lines and water cooling lines and the boat seems to be coming along very nicely.

Here are a couple pics...

Water Outlets...

Custom Composite Bracket...

Custom Composite T-Bar/Stuffing Tube Brace...

G23/ Custom Composite Bracket...

Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
MHZEE

THAT LOOKS LIKE A GREAT BOAT!  YOU SHOULD GO MAINSTREAM!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
wakeskater02

Thanks man!  We are definitely working hard on both of them.

The problem with composite custom parts is that the price would have to be extraordinarily high in order to just cover the costs of the fiber cloth alone.  I mean just for the T-bar alone it took 10 plys of fiber cloth to lay up the one part.  Plus it takes a long time.  It would be much quicker if we had a tool that we could lay the cloth in to, but these were all made by hand with no tool.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
wakeskater02

I think I am going to take my boat out this weekend.