Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

TAKE A FEW SECOND TO GET UP

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

TAKE A FEW SECOND TO GET UP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Neilb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAKE A FEW SECOND TO GET UP

Noticed that my Hydro take a few second to get out the watch when setting of a full throttle it just spins and then she goes once she is moving, I have to set of slow till she is planing and then she is fine do i need a different prop on her,
cant give you a pic of the prop as sje is in the body shop but it is about 75 mm and has 2 blades if that helps and this is the boat a weed killer from china just want more speed as well

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: TAKE A FEW SECOND TO GET UP

Sounding like cavitation - common with boats - not a big issue and think you will find most every hydro does it - some can have major difficulty getting up on the plane - faster the prop the more likely the bigger issue it will be.

For speed - how fast is she going - what motor you running and what prop are you using. Hard to recommend anything without knowing what you have and how it is working for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Neilb1

ok i will try and get this right the engine is a 1E34F 26cc china thing and  the prop is a 78mm pitch 1,4 as for the speed i have no idea seems quick but i am a beginner just want more from it really hope that helps

Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like i said before you need to be launching the boat at speed,no good sitting the boat in the water Hydros need to be launched,im also thinking your motor has a clutch ? also a no no on a hydro because it will just make things worse not better.Basicly you need someone to launch it for you or it can be tricky,if you watched my video you will see i launcehd by myself after first setting the throttle to give a few rpm,with yours not having the power you will most likeley need to give more revs to get it up on plane.
Mart
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think your best / cheapest option is ... , buy the [link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/octurapropellers.htm]7015/3 RTR[/link] @ Dave Marles.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

These things handle more like a flat-bottomed boat than a hydroplane as they're tail-heavy. That 78mm prop has to be killing what little performance that it does have. I've seen videos of these boats running and it sounds like they're not getting their full potential, even for what it is.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Neilb1

ORIGINAL: HendricX

Think your best / cheapest option is ... , buy the [link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/octurapropellers.htm]7015/3 RTR[/link] @ Dave Marles.
says it is for a mono hull

Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 AM
martno1fan

A good prop for a hydro is a 6717/3 but then again your motor might not be up to the job so i agree with Hendrix a 7015/2 would be better as its an easy prop to spin.You really need to launch the boat with forward motion with a few revs or it will just bog down and cavitate like crazy which is what it souns like it is doing.As Ron says a 78 mm prop is way way too big for a hydro you need something smaller.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Neilb1

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

A good prop for a hydro is a 6717/3 but then again your motor might not be up to the job so i agree with Hendrix a 7015/2 would be better as its an easy prop to spin.You really need to launch the boat with forward motion with a few revs or it will just bog down and cavitate like crazy which is what it souns like it is doing.As Ron says a 78 mm prop is way way too big for a hydro you need something smaller.
Hendrex say 7015/3 you say a 2 which will be better or just get both ?

this is a video of ot with what i am on about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDFmT0UIzs
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Scott Schneider

Pretty typical cavitation going on there.
Listening to engine does not sound like it's got much RPM going on so going to a smaller diameter prop that is more typical to spin twice or more as fast likely not the right dirrection to be going either.
7015/3 a good suggestion being IHO better in that boat than a 6717/3 that works best at high rpm.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Neilb1

cheers Scott
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Neilb1

once i get my boat back i will do a gps test to see what happens and get the results up
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
martno1fan

7015/2 would be easier to spin than a 3 blader,your motors probably got 1.5 hp so your never going to get much more speed than your getting now,my advice would be enjoy it for now till your ready for the next step.
Mart
Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
martno1fan

This might be a cheap option to try.
Mart
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7016-2-alu...item20b213bed5
Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my advice would be enjoy it for now till your ready for the next step.

Next steps are not cheap ... RCMK-S254 engine , and a decent tuned-exhaust (WTC-style).

For your hull you need the Wrapped To Center style manifold ,
and an exhaust that can be tuned on a WTC manifold.
Besides the 230us$ QD-WTC_hotpipe (very loud .... thus needing a 45€ muffler) ,
you can choose my 105/WTC catamaran exhaust (90€ or 140€ for complete set-up),
or the German FLR WTC-special (85€ pipe only)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Neilb1

so this is the engine you are saying put in my hull along with a pipe and manifold you have mentioned, ? what speed will i see from this set up ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCMK-S254-...ht_7049wt_1276
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 AM
martno1fan

Hi Neil the rcmk evo is a great engine ,more hp than a standard zen out of the box.As for speeds a lot depends on the hull and wether it can handle the power but to give you an idea i installed the older rcmk none evo in one of my Comet T boats i built for a friend and speed was over 50 mph first time out so with the evo more would def be possible.In your boat i would say over 50 if your hulls upto it and i dont know if anyone has done this with those hulls but its possible.The hull might need some strengthening it might not it depends how stiff yours is ?,these motors are arround 5+ hp with a good tuned pipe so the hull needs to be strong enough to handle it.If you do go with one id go with hendricx,s recomended pipe hes a nice fella and im sure will help you out all he can on setup .At a guess id say your boat is doing 25-30 mph so your going to be twice as fast with this motor so be sure your hull is up to it.
Mart
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my advice would be enjoy it for now till your ready for the next step.
Be my strongest recommendation also.

I would not be looking to drop a more potent motor, pipe, or anything else in her. It is a budget hull that works fine as it is but was never intended to do much beyond what you look to be doing. When your ready for the next step start with a quality hull, add quality hardware, and then you will have a suitable home for a potent power plant like mentioned.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Neilb1

i think i will just enjoy thre time with it and messing about with it before moving on
Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Neilb1

Hi Neil the rcmk evo is a great engine ,more hp than a standard zen out of the box.As for speeds a lot depends on the hull and wether it can handle the power but to give you an idea i installed the older rcmk none evo in one of my Comet T boats i built for a friend and speed was over 50 mph first time out so with the evo more would def be possible.In your boat i would say over 50 if your hulls upto it and i dont know if anyone has done this with those hulls but its possible.The hull might need some strengthening it might not it depends how stiff yours is ?,these motors are arround 5+ hp with a good tuned pipe so the hull needs to be strong enough to handle it.If you do go with one id go with hendricx,s recomended pipe hes a nice fella and im sure will help you out all he can on setup .At a guess id say your boat is doing 25-30 mph so your going to be twice as fast with this motor so be sure your hull is up to it.
Mart
Good advise there Mart and thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 AM
martno1fan

Hey Neil if your ever near your welcome to pop down to Blackpool if you like and ill show you the moulds for my t boat and my other boats,you might be lucky and see one ive built depends as i ship em as soon as theyre built.Most important thing is enjoy your boat and plan the next one while your enjoying it,building one up from a bare hull is the way to go that way you will learn a lot and get the satisfaction at the end knowing you did it yourself.Ohh doesnt have to be one of mine ,have a good weekend mate.
Mart
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Neilb1

Hey Neil if your ever near your welcome to pop down to Blackpool if you like and ill show you the moulds for my t boat and my other boats,you might be lucky and see one ive built depends as i ship em as soon as theyre built.Most important thing is enjoy your boat and plan the next one while your enjoying it,building one up from a bare hull is the way to go that way you will learn a lot and get the satisfaction at the end knowing you did it yourself.Ohh doesnt have to be one of mine ,have a good weekend mate.
Mart
Tea 2 sugars Mart i look forward to seeing some of you work soon i do visit Blackpool now and again so i will definatly be in touch

Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
martno1fan

Haha no worries mate look forward to it.
Mart
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
wilsta67

sounds like clutch slip to me! nothing to worry about all boats with a clutch will do that to an extent till it grabs,
if the boats new it will do it more untill it beds in. had the same motor in a cat i had here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4btBhi9_C24

a guy in our club put a zen in his and it goes good but he has trouble keeping the nose down and has had a few spills with it and the hull has started to break up and he has had to repair it a few times. you can see his running in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjvCX1Z9mg
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Neilb1

i belive is is called cavitation rather than a clutch slip fella that i have a problem with, i am told they need launching rather that starting from a dead stand still

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.