Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Central Hobbies 73 Need some opinions please

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Central Hobbies 73 Need some opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
f15pilot
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Hobbies 73 Need some opinions please

Hey Everyone,

I'm a frequent member on J*CBD and haven't posted here much. I have a question for you guys.

I'm thinkingof getting a 73" Mystic from Rick at Central Hobbies but am not liking the thought of doing twins. I have (1) S-520 which I'll be having fully modded and multiple Zenoah 260s (26cc, 28.5cc, 29.5cc, all pro mods)

I've owned a HPR CT04 so I'm not new to the large scale cats. I talked to Rick for about an hour a month ago and he said a RCMK S-520 would NOT fit under the cowl centered on the tunnel. Has anyone tried using the 'shorter spark plugs' to see if that would fit under the cowl? If it didn't fit, how close was the clearance?

I still plan on using the scale rudder w/ push arms but I'm thinking of using a strut down the center of the tunnel. I see guys using it on the MHZ Draumbie, CT03, ect so it should theoretically be fine.

As far as scale looks go, yes, the twin drives arent there but honestly I would rather sacrifice the scale look/performance and only use one engine for easier assembly, maintenence, & use.

Has anyone done a large scale cat with only one engine? Thanks in advance guys.

Alex
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
wetsleeves

Default RE: Central Hobbies 73 Need some opinions please

Hi Alex,
I know a lot of guys on this side of the pond run large cats with only a motor in the centre of there hulls and they run fine. As for fitting under the cowl of a central hobbies mystic, I wouldn't have a clue. You may have to ask Rick about giving you the the height from the centre of the tunnel to the underside of the cowl. I have tried shortened plugs before and they work just fine.
Best of luck.
Peter
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM
F1roddo

Hi Alex,

Alot of guys up here in QLD are running the larger Cats ranging in size from 60"- 70" with single Zenoahs on the tunnel and they are running very quick. I have seen some of Danny's (sonic racing) Cats run with single power and they are fairly moovin alright.

I personally like the Central hobbies Mystic 73" Cat, it has a scale appearance and is very, very nicely priced for those of us who need to stay within a budget, but would like the opportunity to build and run a large offshore cat. Not everyone can afford the costs of the CT03, 04 hulls or Mhz hulls.
Would love to see a build thread on the Central Hobbies 73" Mystic, would definitely be worth a look and read.

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 AM
SS RC Boats

ORIGINAL: f15pilot

Hey Everyone,

I'm a frequent member on J*CBD and haven't posted here much. I have a question for you guys.

I'm thinking of getting a 73'' Mystic from Rick at Central Hobbies but am not liking the thought of doing twins. I have (1) S-520 which I'll be having fully modded and multiple Zenoah 260s (26cc, 28.5cc, 29.5cc, all pro mods)

I've owned a HPR CT04 so I'm not new to the large scale cats. I talked to Rick for about an hour a month ago and he said a RCMK S-520 would NOT fit under the cowl centered on the tunnel. Has anyone tried using the 'shorter spark plugs' to see if that would fit under the cowl? If it didn't fit, how close was the clearance?

I still plan on using the scale rudder w/ push arms but I'm thinking of using a strut down the center of the tunnel. I see guys using it on the MHZ Draumbie, CT03, ect so it should theoretically be fine.

As far as scale looks go, yes, the twin drives arent there but honestly I would rather sacrifice the scale look/performance and only use one engine for easier assembly, maintenence, & use.

Has anyone done a large scale cat with only one engine? Thanks in advance guys.

Alex
Maybe you should call rick back and ask him if it will fit using the shorter plugs!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Centralrchobbies
My Feedback: (7)

Hey guys I will double check that measurement tonight and see. I will let you tonight. Rick
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Alex

Nice to see you found another site to hang out on .........

Lots of big boats out there with singles -

Rick's new 73 is cool .......... he did a very nice job

what happened to your Skater project ......

What happened to CT04 project ?? (U sell it?)

Post a video when you get a boat running ......I see lots of your projects and now lots of cool parts (way more cool than my poor boat budget) but would be nice to see one finished and running

cheers .......... Have fun

Randy

** You had my hopes up with Skater now ........... Have to go with another MHZ this winter I guess ..............................
Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM
f15pilot

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Hey Alex

Nice to see you found another site to hang out on .........

Lots of big boats out there with singles -

Rick's new 73 is cool .......... he did a very nice job

what happened to your Skater project ......

What happened to CT04 project ?? (U sell it?)

Post a video when you get a boat running ......I see lots of your projects and now lots of cool parts (way more cool than my poor boat budget) but would be nice to see one finished and running

cheers .......... Have fun

Randy

** You had my hopes up with Skater now ........... Have to go with another MHZ this winter I guess ..............................
Randy, I've sold a lot of my collection, including the CT04. I worked for a few hours on it and I just didn't like the lines. Sold it for $1300 and kept the spare parts and two BNIB zenoahs so I made a couple bucks off the deal. Anyway, I'm looking for a large scale cat that I can put the S520 in or even a full mod 28.5cc. I dont want to butcher the hull but I'd be ok with cutting holes for the plugs.

I sold a lot of my boats, Randy. Not enough time in the day to use/work on them all. I plan on keeping the following:

72" Sea Hawk "Cat Killer"
65" GTX w/ S520 and S6 drive
65" GTX
54" Lightning
51" Stinger
45" Kilmer mono
44" Avenger Pro

and hopefully adding a 73" Mystic if I can cram a S520 under the hood or even a full mod 28.5 The scale look as far as the out drives- I don't care about and for the money and time it'd take to complete twins (even though I have engines, parts, ect) I just don't want to start that endevor. I'd rather have 4-5 good running boats and enjoy them than have 1 super nice one that I'm worried about beating up. Normally a $700 hull would be off limits but since I won't be buying another $600-$800 worth of out drives, I think I can squeeze it.

I like the large scale cats... I'm selling my 60" MTI Cat though w/ hardware, electronics, ect for $450. I guess since I'm down sizing the fleet I have to pick and choose. That is the hardest part!

Over the past year I've come to find out I'm more of a builder than a runner. Although I have taken a few boats out this summer. It has been lots of fun!

Thanks Rick, let me know what you find out!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
mistycreekboats

You have nice collection going

I wish ............. very cool ....later Bud

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM
f15pilot

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

You have nice collection going

I wish ............. very cool ....later Bud

Randy, hats off to you for starting me out. I sincerely appreciate the help with my 60" woody build with that first part you donated just a little over a year ago.

I really haven't spent much on the hobby. I've bought boats for a deal then resold them for profit which then was reinvested into another boat. Not going to throw out numbers but overall it is still relatively low.

I plan on using yourdrambuie build as a guide. You build some amazing boats and I hope it is some what close to the quality of yours.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:49 PM
mistycreekboats

The Drambuie will be running on weekend - last time I stroked Nitrous I blew Drambbuie over (at 60+)  so I've added a progressive control system so we will slam 'er again this weekend

http://youtu.be/q8hheOM2MS0

Thanks for compliment ..... I created another Monster ..................  (well I helped anyways ) ...Lol

Later Bud

Randy
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Centralrchobbies

Looks to be right around 7 1/2" right in the center of the hull.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
f15pilot

Thanks. I'll be in contact with you next week about getting a hull. Been debating it for a few months now and I think I'm going to take the plunge. I've got all the parts, so why not?

Where did you buy the hatch hinges? Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Centralrchobbies

They are from Germany if you decide to get a hull i will throw in a set for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
f15pilot

ORIGINAL: Central*********

They are from Germany if you decide to get a hull i will throw in a set for you.
Sounds great. Just checking the finances now- should be good to go next week. Did you ever get any video of the 73"Mystic running?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Centralrchobbies

Went to the shootout and ran the day before with the guys to do some testing with the boats one engine was giving me fits but did manage to make some good passes. Long story short The day of the shootout getting ready make a high speed run engine died and lost a prop and shaft so waiting on those to show up. Mike from Redline was there he said switching to 257 carbs should solve the problem so going to do that as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Paul M

Alex, another thing you could consider.

Hendrix showed some pics on the dock of how someone had modified the hatch on a PPB skater for an inline.

It was very simple and clean. Basically the cockpit was cut out where it meets the deck of the hatch and then raised up almost an inch and reglassed. It looked good. I may have to do something similar to mine in order to accomodate the extra height of my engines with clutches. I cannot tolerate seeing plugs sticking out of the top of a boat