Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Which Engine for a Zippkits Easy-Vee

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Which Engine for a Zippkits Easy-Vee

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
glastronjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Engine for a Zippkits Easy-Vee

I’m in the middle of my first gas boat build. It’s a Zippkits Easy-Vee. I’ve ordered all Zippkits hardware including their Super Tuned Quiet pipe w/ 100 degree header. I’m to the point where I need to order an engine. I’ve been looking at stock Zenoah 26PUM and the RCMK S-254 Evo engines. My main concern is easy starting and reliability. With the price being about the same, which engine would you choose?<o></o>

<o></o>

Also, I’m considering installing a clutch. Will this boat balance with one installed. If so, what’s a good to get, spring or no spring?<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

JH

Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
glennb2006

Default RE: Which Engine for a Zippkits Easy-Vee

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the clutch, more weight and something else to go wrong, I am a Zenoah fan and at this time of year there are plenty of good secondhand ones up for sale, seen some good race motors for sale at $250 - $300 range.

Glenn
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
blizard05

Go for a Zen 230-260,stock wil be fine. Not much room for a clutch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo38793.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1687108  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

RCMK fan here. It would be plenty of motor for this boat as Joe advises a stock to mildly modded motor for it anyway.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM
glastronjohn

Thanks for the replies. I tossed a coin and ordered a Zenoah from Gizmo. I looked at nooh's build also. His seems plenty fast to me with a stock Zenoah.

Nice finish on yours blizard. How is the top sealed, epoxy, poly resin, varnish?

I'm still kicking around ideas on how I'll finish this boat. Has anyone here used 2 part epoxy boatpaints on rc boats(Awlgrip, Interlux, etc...)? I'd like to apply afinish that can take some abuse. I may evencover the outside of the boat with 3 oz. cloth as well. Any pros or cons on that idea, overkill maybe?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
V8Rider

A friend of mine has that same boat with a 230 Zenoah and it runs over 50 mph! A stock 260 will be plenty of power!

I have a Zippkits Crackerbox that I finished with wood stain and Spar Varnish that I sprayed on the sides and deck. The bottom is finished with automotive paints and clearcoat. It has all held up very well so I guess you can pretty much use what ever you like to finish it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72029.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	1687415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92944.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	1687416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54664.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	1687417  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
BMAD01

JH, No need for the clutch. I put a CC Racing full/mod in mine back in 2007 when I built it. It ran like a scalded dog! A stock Zen will be just fine for you. Mod the motor if you want it scary fast! Just make sure the motor is as far forward as you can mount it. I made 3/8" spacers to put in front of the rear mount on mine to move the motor forward. Fun boat! There are a lot of pics of it on my gallery here. Good luck, Brian
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 AM
glastronjohn

V8, that is a beautiful finish. I’ve never messed with varnish. It may be time to learn. <o></o>

<o></o>

BMAD, I’ve seen your boat before. Page 41. How about that. I like the change you made to the wind/splash shield and the tube support. I may have to copy it. I was planning to glass in the stringers like you did also. Do you have any other suggestions? Is there anything you wish you would have done before matting the top to the bottom?<o></o>

<o></o>

I’ll forget the clutch. I just thought it would be safer to have one while starting and running this thing from the back of the ski boat. I’m not planning to take this boat to organized races, just messing around with friends during the summer while out at the lake. <o></o>

<o></o>

The new motor should be in by Saturday along with a gas bag and some other stuff. I think I have everything I need except finish and a radio. Thanks again for the suggestions.<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 AM
blizard05

I did the deck with teak viner,and 8 coats of polly.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM
glastronjohn

So you used poly resin, sand, repeat? Does poly yellow like epoxy does with UVs?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 AM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: glastronjohn

So you used poly resin, sand, repeat? Does poly yellow like epoxy does with UVs?
Not polly resin,clear polly paint,like varnish but water based
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
glastronjohn

Ok, polyurethane. That's another thing I've never used.

Here's another question. I just want to make sure I understand the terminology. The instructions say to seal the wood with finishing resin. Does that mean thin laminating epoxy, as opposed to thicker 5 or 30 minute epoxy?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 PM
glennb2006

Normally an epoxy finishing resin like MAS epoxy. If you want to stain it darker, I think you have to put the stain on before the epoxy.

The epoxy is to ensure the wood is completely watertight.

Glenn
Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
BMAD01

JH, Yes there is! Put a grab handle on both sides of the hull before you tack down the deck. Just imagine some poor schmuck in the retrieval boat doing you a favor by retrieving your stalled E/V. He grabs it by the right side and the deck tears off! Thanks buddy!! HAHAHA! Brian
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 AM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: BMAD01

JH, Yes there is! Put a grab handle on both sides of the hull before you tack down the deck. Just imagine some poor schmuck in the retrieval boat doing you a favor by retrieving your stalled E/V. He grabs it by the right side and the deck tears off! Thanks buddy!! HAHAHA! Brian
That is good advice, I put one on both sides. The pipe on the left tends to get hot also

Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good advice.

The biggest mistake you can make is to overpower your Easy Vee!
The boat was designed to use low power engines (Homelite, Echo, etc) and stock Zenoah 230/231/260.

Once you get to about 53 mph, there is really no boat in the water, and above that, stability is an issue. It looks impressive to do 60, but it will bite you.

A stock 231 or 260 will get you to 50 mph pretty easily.

The boat drives perfectly at 50. It is in it's element and has no bad habits.
It can turn at full throttle and is easy to tune.
More HP tends to lessen the fun...

Joe
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM
glastronjohn

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a stock 260 on the way and I've already recieved your super tuned quiet pipe and running hardware. I wish all of my internet transactions went as smooth as Zippkits.

Thanks again,
JH
Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

All good advice.

The biggest mistake you can make is to overpower your Easy Vee!
The boat was designed to use low power engines (Homelite, Echo, etc) and stock Zenoah 230/231/260.

Once you get to about 53 mph, there is really no boat in the water, and above that, stability is an issue. It looks impressive to do 60, but it will bite you.

A stock 231 or 260 will get you to 50 mph pretty easily.

The boat drives perfectly at 50. It is in it's element and has no bad habits.
It can turn at full throttle and is easy to tune.
More HP tends to lessen the fun...

Joe
That says it all, from the man himself.

Glenn
Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
glastronjohn

Three days from order to in my hands (Fl. to Tx.). Nice.

I relocated the coil just because. Is there a simple way to space the mageito (red part)fromthe flywheel? Something like _ sheets of paper for thickness. Ican't find my feeler gauges.

Next item to buy is a radio. I'm looking at the Futaba 3PM-X and the Hitec Aggressor SRXPro. I have no idea which servos to use.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
glennb2006

Three days from order to in my hands (Fl. to Tx.). Nice.

I relocated the coil just because. Is there a simple way to space the mageito (red part) from the flywheel? Something like _ sheets of paper for thickness. I can't find my feeler gauges.

Next item to buy is a radio. I'm looking at the Futaba 3PM-X and the Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro. I have no idea which servos to use.

[img][/img]

The pick up coil should have the air gap set already, but, if you really feel the need to check it and faff on, a business card works very well for setting the clearance.

You want a good servo for steering, lots use 1/4 scale, and something decent but standard for the throttle, and a failsafe system too, get into the habit of fitting them to all your builds, Killer Bee is good but others are available.

Glenn
Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 AM
glastronjohn

Thanks Glenn.
Yes, I had to remove the bolts to install the coil mount which changed the air gap. Thanks for the business card tip.
It looks like the killer bee actually grounds the igintion rather than just closing the throttle. Would Ineed a regular Futaba type (throttle kill for low battery) fail safe also? I want to make this thing as safe as possible.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 AM
glennb2006

Thanks Glenn.
Yes, I had to remove the bolts to install the coil mount which changed the air gap. Thanks for the business card tip.
It looks like the killer bee actually grounds the igintion rather than just closing the throttle. Would I need a regular Futaba type (throttle kill for low battery) fail safe also? I want to make this thing as safe as possible.
I like the Killer Bee because it does shut the ignition down, so does not rely on the servo to function to close the motor off. If the receiver battery goes, the engine stops, if the receiver looses signal from the transmitter, the engine shuts down and you can connect it to channel three so you can shut the ignition down by using one of the auxilliary switches.

There are a few versions of Killer Bee so contact them before buying to ensure compatability with your radio set up. They also offer waterproofed versions, which can only be a good idea.

Glenn
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM
glastronjohn

That sounds perfect. I was just looking at their site.

Waterproof is goodness. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a rugidized, waterproof military spec 3 channel radio. There's bound to be a marked there.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
MrMikeG

You can push the red coil all the way up and it will still run fine. I used to business card mine until I figured this out.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 AM
glastronjohn

Thanks Mr. Mike. That's good to know. I set it down with a card gap.

I glassed the inside of this Easy V over the weekend. I put down 2 layers of 3.25 oz cloth with laminating epoxy (between frames 3, 4, and 5). I ordered a Killer Bees v1, kit 5.I'm still looking at radios, servos, t-bar, the list seems to go on and on. I just read that the 5/16" stuffing tube should go inside an 11/32 tube which is glued to the hull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.