Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Push pull cable steering on a out board

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Push pull cable steering on a out board

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM
zen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push pull cable steering on a out board

A wile ago I saw a vs1 with a cable push pull system. I liked the setup. I have a 1/4 scale tunnel with a outboard. I am using 2 hightec 805 giant scale servo to do push pull with carbon rods. I find to center them and get them in ssync is a real PIA. Also I don't like the flex in the rods. And the steering has slop in it I was wondering does anyone use or know if the cable push pull is better. Or does anyone know If there is a need for two servos? Or can I just back down to one.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:11 PM
MadDogDan

Don't know anything about the cable system but I am using aluminum rods on my F1 Tunnel and it has very little flex. The way I solved the servo sync problem is to use a Spektrum Marine receiver. It is tiny, waterproof, and best of all has dual steering and throttle ports. Just plug each servo into the receiver and they are slaved together. I have two steering servos in line with linkage rods running from the front servo to the back and the steering rods run from the back servo to the drive leg. The only problem I am having is my boat hooks in the turns if I don't slow down and it will do a 360 and die. I have to raise the drive leg a little to get the hull to ride wetter/lower and that should solve my turn problem.

Last edited by MadDogDan; 07-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 PM
The Ghost

[QUOTE=zen3;11847580] I am using 2 hightec 805 giant scale servo to do push pull with carbon rods. I find to center them and get them in ssync is a real PIA. QUOTE]

I use a JR Multi Box, can drive up to 4 servos, with center and end point adj in the box. There use makes setting up twin servos a snap

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	multi box.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	966.9 KB
ID:	2017246   Click image for larger version

Name:	multi box1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	965.4 KB
ID:	2017247  
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.servocity.com/html/robotzone_servos.html . They've got a lot of servo hardware that they gas OB tunnel drivers use. One big servo and optional arms for running the steering controls. Some are using Kevlar "thread" that is adjustable so that you can tighten or loosen for when you change the motor angle.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM
zen3

Here is what I found on servo city. It's the closest to what I saw. Where the big gear is would be the steering arm. This one is a chain there are belts. Then I guess by changing the servo output gear there would be different speed and such. My goal is to only use one servo. Ron with the 805 do you think two servos are really needed? Also I just realized jrcbd is back. I'm going to try to ask my question there also. See you there Ron.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2017473