Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Mystic 72 build question.....

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Mystic 72 build question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Mr.Wolfeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystic 72 build question.....

I finally have my outside done and sealed in. Next I'm needing some suggestions on strut installation positioning? I was told to "offset" them? I'm not too sure what that means? I haven't even drilled my strut holes yet due to wanting to be sure I understand what that ment before screwing it up. Please any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated before the drilling commences. U added some pictures below

Thanks again guys...CHEERS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1441680191566.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	2118807   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441680229079.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	2118808   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441680288201.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	2118809   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441680322334.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	2118810  
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't offset struts or rudders in that style of boat. The rudder has the 'pod' to mount to and the struts will only mount in one place under hull on each side.

Do not mount anything until u have it all. Then you can place in hull and move it around a bit inside (before u mount) to set your COG (Center of Gravity) where you want it.

Nice boat

Randy
Old 09-10-2015, 04:59 AM
danielplace

Really nice looking hull.

Final paint is usually something you have done after a boat is built and often best if done after testing is complete.

Just a heads up that the boat is not going to run with two gas engines and no holes to get the heat out. The whole rear deck of these boats will need to be cut out considerably in order to vent the heat of two exhaust systems.

Most people make grill patterns by cutting out the deck. Even if you had grills to cover the cuts in the deck just so much easier done before the finish is applied.

Mounting the rudder and drives now will not affect the build negatively as they only go one place. Who's drives do you have for the boat? Some can be tricky to get located properly on the transom of the sponsons. You want to get those done right as it can make or break the entire assembly. Be very careful that the assembly is going to allow you to get a neutral strut angle.

Here is one my friend built with two RCMK 520's first time in the water. Notice it isn't painted yet. https://youtu.be/Qvh51ABcpP4

After paint. https://youtu.be/5TEQ7PQwrzM

Last edited by danielplace; 09-10-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Mr.Wolfeman

I appreciate your advice gentlemen, please forgive me for I'm quite new to this build and I might seem inexperienced for I truly am. As to the COG, how do I or what's the best way to determine my COG?

In regards to the heat venting, as you can see in the attached picture, my whole front window is meshed screen. I am contemplating adding vents out the back tho for airflow.

Thanks again for your suggestions my friends, any suggestions welcome!!! CHEERS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-10-18-31-50.png
Views:	73
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2119249  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
danielplace

You have to place every single item in it's place even the prop shafts and props, fuel tanks/bags, everything. Then put a round dowel or PVC under the boat and roll the boat back and forth over the round rod until it is balanced on the rod with no weight front or aft. The point at which you find it balances is your COG. You are probably looking at 28%-30% or thereabouts depending on how much power you are packing in it.

That is all incoming air pretty much and will do almost nothing without a way for it to escape and take the heat out with it. The screen really diminishes the flow through the openings considerably. You may even need more in but you positively need to get a bunch of area in the back for the air to flow through.

The outtake vent area usually needs to be several times the area of the incoming air vents.

Last edited by danielplace; 09-10-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use a 2" hole saw and cut holes in the underside of the overhang with great results without butchering your great looking boat. put your holes as far back as you can. You can also dremal any vents or patterns you want there but the hole saw is quick and easy. Also you can use 4 exhaust stacks on the flat area in the back 2 that are really for your exhaust and the other 2 for looks and for venting.

Last edited by expresscraft; 09-14-2015 at 10:57 AM.