Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Quickdraw HotPipe manifold ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Quickdraw HotPipe manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
crapshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickdraw HotPipe manifold ?

Hello all , just bought a Quickdraw hotpipe and i have noticed there is some in / out free plat where the outet header flange contacts the inner manifold flange. the header manifold only came with 1 x single o - ring but i feel it should have another o - r ing fitted on the other side of header pipe flanged section if you can understand this. so does the quickdraw manifold come with just the one o - ring or does it have 2 o - rings ? thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:04 PM
crapshooter

does anyone run a Quickdraw Pipe ?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Boss 330

One o ring on each side.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
crapshooter

thanks Boss. i thought something wasn,t right with the in/ out free play on the header to manilfod join.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM
jd267
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by crapshooter
thanks Boss. i thought something wasn,t right with the in/ out free play on the header to manilfod join.
If you decide to run that pipe on a full mod zen or any zenoah the acutec water manifold is best with the hot pipe . Also the flex joints if your handy you can buy 2 -3 foot lengths from QD and make your own . I have every size I would ever need now . The peening and rolling / welding the end is tricky but if you have the knowledge and tools go for it !
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 PM
crapshooter

the QD manifold is fine now i placed the o-rings in the correct positions. as far as the flex joints go i have heard the solid 1 inch diameter stainless tube is better than the flex , i have a length of this and have cut with my drop saw a few lengths 1/4 inch differences. thanks for the advice.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 PM
jd267

The flex joint is there to give the pipe (flex) so stop cracks etc . Vibration is a ***** . The solid piece tend to peen over and get stuck in the pipe . But if it works for you stick with it . I'm not trying to be one of those douches that says there way is the only way just giving what I found .
Old 03-11-2017, 02:51 PM
crapshooter

i know what your saying but why are so many guys now using the solid joins not the flex type ?
Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
jd267

From what I see there easier to make to test lengths with etc vs spending a bunch on flex couplers from QD . . Also most don't have the tools or skill to make there own flex couplers . And there's guys are to cheep to pay $25 for a flex from QD .
Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 PM
crapshooter

just been speaking to a guy that used to use the flex couple joiner on his quickdraw manifolds and he said after splitting 3 flex joiners over a full race season he went to the solid joiner and has had not an issue in the past 3 seasons using the stainless tube joiner. $5 for 20 joiners compared to $25 for 1 flex. this is why many including myself are using the stainless tube joiners., this hobby is expensive enough don,t you think ? save a buck for the same result.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 PM
jd267

Of corse man everyone is in a different situation. If they work for you that's great !
Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 PM
quickdraw

I would look and see why he is going through that many. Bad vibration,pipe bent way over? Something is causing that issue. Solids may work. But keep in mind that the pipe is really thin and all the harmonics are now going into it. Plus the Zen engine modders look like they have eased up on grinding the exhaust side of the casting thin like they used too. All the rigidness and a thin casting would cause casting to break the exhaust port off on them, Getting hit in the back of the boat and the pipe will force all the pressure to the casting. Instead of just tearing a flex open and saving everything. Many examples of that I have been told about on the getting hit part. The solid maybe working but this may lead to broken casting, wore out coupler pockets, or breaking the pipe. So keep this in mind. YES I do know a lot of people who are running solid tubes with no issues. Just keep an eye out for problems. I recommend guys to use solids only if they do not have a clue what length to start with. Than order a flex once it is known.

Todd

Quickdraw

Last edited by quickdraw; 03-11-2017 at 10:35 PM.