Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hydro turning problem

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hydro turning problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Daylight99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro turning problem

Hi friends
I finally have the CG problem figured out on my Bud boat but now I have a new problem to work on. The boat is really starting to fly across the water and goes into turns real nice, the problem is every time I come out of a turn the left sponson flys way up out of the water and the boat comes close to flipping. What if anything can I do to correct this?

Bob Russell
NAMBA #1090
Old 04-24-2004, 01:04 AM
ibuildstuff

Default RE: Hydro turning problem

are you turning left? if so, your not supposed to... thats a right turn only boat... if ya turn left, it can, and WILL flip

Jesse
Old 04-24-2004, 07:45 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

this is either a turn fin or a drive angle issue. try rotating the turn fin a little (1/8") forward then back. also the drive angle of the prop shaft might not be lifting the stern enuff. i am fine tuning my Hoover shovelnose as we speak, it exhibits the same anonmoly coming out of the turn when its in the exit of a flat out corner but not quite as extreme as your problem.

good luck
Old 04-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Joel Antonio

Hi Bob:

I'm new on the hobby. I have a new 1/8 Bud. How you correct the CG issue and the turn fin angle issue? Please let me know, because I can't run my boat at full speed, yet.
Regards Joel
Old 04-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Daylight99

The boat is still a work in progress but so far I have shimmed down the strut and this has leveled the boat out at speed. I have also figured out the turning problem. The "Proboats" 1/8 scale Bud hull is rated for a top speed of 35mph with the stock setup but as you work out some of the problems and the speed comes up other problems appear. One problem is in the turning, the turn fin is very deep and is designed to hold the boat down in turns in the 35mph range but when you start reaching the speeds I have been able to reach (46+ mph) the turn fin bites in too hard and lifts the left sponson. To correct this you need to cut the turn fin down about 1 1/2", this will keep the boat flat on the water and still give you good handling in the turns.

Bob Russell
Old 04-29-2004, 07:10 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

may i ask which wat are you turning this boat?
because of the torque we have to run these clockwise around the course or opposite from full size racers
Old 04-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Daylight99

A boat like this can only make right hand turns. It is possible to make some lefts at greatly reduced speeds but I would not recommend it.

Bob Russell