Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

newbie with new toys

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

newbie with new toys

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:57 PM
project5k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: newbie with new toys

understood. well i looked at several pics online and all of them were tilted down, so thats what i did.. my mounts may look crude, but i think that they will work for me to at least try it out, and then as my experience grows, i can refine my design.... attached are a couple of the pics that i made...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80731.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	278925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57632.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	278926  
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
project5k

alrighty, so here it is, im building a webpage so that everyone can see many more of the pictures, and videos and whatnot of me building my first gas powered boat... please forgive me and this page is very much a work in progress, and i only work on it when the mood to update strikes me... not all the links work, not all the spelling is correct, but i think that the main thing is that this is so that everyone can see my ugly mug! hehe no really, old hands and newbies alike just might like this stuff, and its not like anything else that i have been able to find, a step by step account of building a boat... please feel free to comment, suggest, or whatever.. if theres something that you would like to see, just ask and if i have pictures of it, ill post them.....
http://mcgyveronline.com/my_first_gas_powered_boat.htm
Old 06-04-2005, 07:42 PM
project5k

lots of updates going up on http://mcgyveronline.com/my_first_gas_powered_boat.htm also, i still havent gotten an answer on my trim tabs question... for my 48 inch hull, where should i put them and how big should they be?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:03 PM
heliguy02

My trim tabs are from warehouse hobbies. They are 2" wide and 3" long. The instructions said to mount them 1/8 above the bottom of the boat.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:12 PM
project5k

ok, cool, well im going to try it first with none(gets me wet sooner) and see how she does, then make the determination if i need them from that, something tells me that i will, but we'll see.. also, i was wondering if anyone is in texas... id love to meet up somewhere and see what ya got, how its set up, and see it run...
im in south texas just off I-10, but austin is just an hour away..
Old 06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
dlloyd80

Use the WD40 with no fear its name derives from Water displacing 40 th attempt water and oil don't mix so when high pressure water or more pressure than still oil comes in it will flush it out . just a tid bit of useless info.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:32 PM
project5k

i had heard the water displacing 40th formula, but beond that, no offence, but i reserve the right to disagree
Old 06-11-2005, 07:41 PM
project5k

oh and while im here, and speaking of new toys, i just picked up a garmin gps.. man what a tiny cute little thing... its a etrex legend c, color screen and just about every whistle and bell ill ever need and then some... heres a pic so you get the idea....sorry about the quality of the pic, ill get a better one later and post it..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22438.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	283512  
Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 PM
project5k

Well, now that i have recovered from my iron butt run(IT WAS AWESOME AND LOADS OF FUN) Its time to get back to my boat.. so i did, and as allways took pictures and videos...., the updates are uploading to the server right now.. so take a look and see what ive done now....
Old 06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
project5k

i was just thinking about the boat page that im building, and i was sondering what ya'll thought.... should i keep it all one long page, or do you think that i should break it into seperate pages? and if i break it, then where?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:32 PM
project5k

also, i'm getting to that point where im thinking about the radio im going to use, i have an older an 2 channel, but untill i get a chance to test it, im worring about am being a problem around a sparkplug engine... anyone got any info or tips on this?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:13 PM
project5k

also wondering about a radio box, ive seen some pictures of some clear radio boxes, with rubber oring seals around the top, looks like the best way to go, but where can i get such and animal....also, looking at the spectrum radio, 3 chnls, might just do the trick
Old 07-03-2005, 12:50 AM
project5k

well i've made some major progress.... got a new radio, just about done installing it, i now have remote throttle and steering, just some details to button up and i can get this thing wet...
Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
project5k

well i dont have time right now to post all the details, but if you look at my site you will see that IT RUNS! i took it out today and got it wet... did ok, but ill have to post more later... anyway, thanks for everyone's help, and now that i have a floating and running boat, im sure that i'll have many more tweaking questions....
Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 AM
project5k

well i was most dissapointed today....i went to my local watter hole to run the boat and get some video for you guys, and this is what i found....so i went home and started building my retreival system....
Attached Images      
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM
project5k

well i have the peddle boat working, and i have run my rc boat a couple times and the one thing that i have noticed is that it seems that the prop is cavitating heavily, especially when taking off from idle...
what can i do to help this problem??? im going to try and get a video posted of it running so maby you can see what im seeing...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 PM
bebopin64
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: project5k

ok, cool, well im going to try it first with none(gets me wet sooner) and see how she does, then make the determination if i need them from that, something tells me that i will, but we'll see.. also, i was wondering if anyone is in texas... id love to meet up somewhere and see what ya got, how its set up, and see it run...
im in south texas just off I-10, but austin is just an hour away..
hey i live just west of austin and im just about finished building my new challenger. it wont be able to keep up with a gasser though
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
project5k

well i just got a little video of my boat on one of its shake down runs, and as you will see its not all that fast, my old outrigger electric was WAY faster than this thing...but its not dialed in and its just running an old tired homelight engine... someday ill upgrade to bigger and better things(engines) but feel free to take a look....
http://www.mcgyveronline.com/boat/bo...0in%20lake.AVI
Old 08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
project5k

hey thats awesome, we'll have to get to gether and compare notes....where do you plan to run, im beginning to not like my local lake due to the other people and large boats....and im in austin every other week or so.....

Joe

hey i live just west of austin and im just about finished building my new challenger. it wont be able to keep up with a gasser though
[/quote]
Old 08-03-2005, 09:43 PM
bebopin64
My Feedback: (2)

i usually just run in my back yard beecause i live on lake travis on the pedernalas branch. the water is prett smooth here and if you go out at the right times there is no traffic. how old are you anyway?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:27 PM
project5k

ahh ok, im a little familiar with that part of the lake, i went to high school out there, and im 28
Old 08-07-2005, 01:44 PM
project5k

anyone got any ideas about why it seems like my boat is loading up the engine and cavitating at the same time?