Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Which engine to use?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Which engine to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 PM
email4walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine to use?

Ok, I have been asking a lot of questions about the homelite engine in other topic fourms (speed, mounting, ect.). I have a problem/question: I have a 25cc homelite and a no name 22.5cc engine from a scooter I use to ride(see pics). I have gotten a lot of input about homelites and I am thinking about dumping the homelite and using the no name engine for my boat. Why? It seams to me that it will be a lot easier to install, set up, and it will be cheaper. I know it will not be as fast as the homelite, but then again, they don't use homelites on scooters(zenoah and goped is a excellent example of engines strong enough to move people.). So I'm not sure which way to go. Should I take a chance on the no name and see what happens? If I use the no name the boat will be set up just for that type of engine because it will not use the regular brackets that everyone else is using. If something happens and I need to switch engines it will be very hard to do(I will have to acually change the inside of my boat in order to switch engines). Sorry for all the questions but what is your opinoin?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95624.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	367803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77129.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	367804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95925.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	367805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11343.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	367806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63586.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	367807  
Old 12-10-2005, 02:37 PM
dbryan

Default RE: Which engine to use?

In gas powered boats there are more Homelites than everything else together. Zenoah rules in performance boats. Quickdraw is a very good engine and very expensive. Speed costs, how much can you afford?
The engine you show is designed for Go-Peds and has a good clutch and power take off. The clutch is similar to Kioritz.
Homelite is not used in power units for a very good reason, the clutch. The Homelite clutch is simple, CHEAP, and borderline even for a weed whacker. The Homelite clutch is metal to metal and a clutch for power transmission uses friction lining.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:32 PM
email4walker

In your opinion, which engine would you use?(speed is important, but not super important)
Old 12-10-2005, 06:16 PM
dbryan

If you have access to a machine shop, you can convert the clutch to 1/4" square drive. The shaft will need to be cut off and threaded for a screw on 1/4" square adapter. The Homelite trimmer motor is only rated at one HP and needs to be modified for performance. The scooter motor will be rated at least two HP. Since you intend to make your own mounts, it makes no difference which one you use. Take a look at Zenoah mounts since yours will need to be similar.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:01 PM
stinger_ss

well it cost me about 40 bucks to power a boat with a homie 35 for the homelite motor and 5 for some L brackets with slots not screw holes to make motor mounts
Old 12-13-2005, 06:36 AM
TZMach1

The motor you have pictured looks very much like a Stihl, it may be larger than 25cc, but the weight might be the biggest issue, the shroud and clutch housings are of thick metal. You may want to consider a lighter power source.

Tim Z
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 AM
git_er_done

hey hey bud ,well from what the motor looks like well to me atleast it is an china cag 47cc (37cc) and or a 49cc (39cc)motor wich runs on 1:32 engine oil mixing with a port and polish and a big bore head kit and a aftermarket carb and a rocket key on the cam and advance the timing to 5 deg. it will hall butt .i have both motor on pocket bikes..... i was going to take one of the old motors that i have and put it in 1 of my boats and try to see how it runs and if it works i will put my race motor in it

i wish i could upload a pic and i would show you what they look like
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
email4walker

The red motor is a little smaller that the homelite engine. But you are right, with mods,
that little thing moves! I thought about a bigger engine (Pocket bike ones)but they won't fit in my hull.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 PM
email4walker

Well, I am going to use the little red engine. I was going to use the homelite but I am having
too many problems with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 PM
lzvagias

if that is a stihl that is a far better quality and far more powerful motor! the reason that homies are more common is they are cheap and because they are more common its easier to get upgrades for them. they aren't exactly precision crafted which is why they don't live very long when made to put out real high rpms. but if they are not too heavily moded they are really reliable. one of its biggest limitations is that crank shaft thats only supported on one end instead of the motor in your picture thats supported at both ends.