Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Pro boat Shockwave 55

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Pro boat Shockwave 55

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 AM
savageaussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro boat Shockwave 55

Hey Guys,
Just after a few answers, i have read a few topics on this boat and would like to know if this boat is really that bad for your average day at the pond boater? Can the problems with this boat be resolved with hop-ups/better hardware. Are replacement parts easy to get a hold off.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Pro boat Shockwave 55

Replacement parts no doubt are easy to get a hold of with a Zen motor and the rest being Proboat, probably the biggest maker of production gas rc boats other than prather. Hope ups would make this a better boat but I have heard several incidents of the hull cracking.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:05 PM
gobiggo

The Shockwave 55 is the most ill handling beast on the planet

1) You cannot run this hull with a single rudder behind the prop...
Your choices are either to offset the rudder, or use a dual rudder set up..
otherwise you will never ever get it to handle, turn with ease or be predictable...
I think the hull design has potential, but the workmanship leaves far to be desired

I have ran The Shockwave 55" boat with a good set up in 4 ft swells... but it will just break apart like mentioned...
hull will crack.. mounts will come loose..
I completely rebuilt this boat prior to my selling it..
I added a Hanson 3" 90degree header and tuned pipe through the hull
with a Tmod Muffler... all available at http://RCBoatparts.com

I had to locktite every screw..
shoogoo the radio box back in place
added flotation
add JBweld to the throttle cable holder
I also added another water pickup into opposite side trim tab for tuned pipe...
changed strut to accept 1/4" drive shaft

and I sold the boat at a great loss after getting into NAMBA racing.
If you want a great rough water boat, contact me at http://RCBoatParts.com
and I will hook you up with something like this

http://RCBoatAddict.com/rico.html

Bryan "Big B" Robinson
NAMBA 443 - Dist 19
http://RCBoatParts.com

Old 12-24-2005, 02:39 PM
apache18

Hello Guys,A newbie boater here. And would like know if I went with the single offset rudder,what side of the boat is best for mounting the rudder? I do have a turn fin on it. Thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 10:44 PM
nick88
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I can see why you call the boat ILL!! No r/c boat on the market is meant for 4 foot swells!!! I have a 27 foot Baja that doesn't really like that sizes waves. I have know idea as to what boat can put up with that punishment, especially r/c wise. I would not dought the hull to crack and break apart, it is battling wave almost as tall as the boat. That is like taking a 42 foot boat out and battling 30 foot swells, that spells disaster from the start. All of the problems you ran into could of been avoided by not taking the boat in four foot swells. I have had the boat for over two years, and it has been a great starter boat. I have moved past it now, but was great to start with. I upgraded the engine to a Quickdraw 25, added fiberglass, made bigger motor mounts, added a clutch, water pump, and also a tuned pipe. That was one bad boat until I put the engine into a Avenger. I can agree that the boat isn't the best around, but I know some worse.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:42 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

SavageAussie - Where in Aus are you. I am in Syd at the moment. I have found the best boat to get is the one where you can source parts locally. That said the Proboat may be OK as a starter if you can get a real deal for it. You could buy worse but certainly there are better used boats selling than the Proboat is new (and certainly cheeper). There are a few local builders who could set you up with something unique and cool for similar money - let us know what your up to!!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:02 PM
FROGMAN524

Hey justaddwatta, since you're from New York, is there a place there called Bedford falls from "It's a Wonderful Life"?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Frog - Check out [link=http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=61175]Bedford Falls[/link]

I lived NY (Upstate and Long Island) for about 5 Years. Born an Aussie though and have lived all over through the years !!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:49 PM
hpiguy

The Shockwave has been rereleased with he Zenoah 26CC and a dual rudder setup.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
BBuster

Shockwave[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: BBuster

Shockwave[sm=thumbdown.gif]

Especially since noone has driven or tested this newest version your thumbs down doesn't really have a basis in reality.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 PM
BBuster

How true. I have had my "common" shockwave for 1 year and it has made a strong impression on me.
The original question,' would like to know if this boat is really that bad for your average day at the pond boater?'
It is only my assumption that the same attention to quality and workmanship went into this newer version of the Shockwave.
Being that it only is my assumption, I made no comment. Only placed my vote.
The average day was spent on the phone with tech support, tracking down parts (alota parts), and on the bench. NOT ON THE POND.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
hpiguy

I highly value your opinion on the older version of this boat.

I have heard nothing but bad things about that version from other modelers also.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
ACLazer

I dunno, but it looks like the same boat with the following added:
*Clutch
*Water Pump
*Tuned Pipe
*Graphics package
*Extra Rudder

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB2650#ReadReviews]Super Sport Shockwave[/link]

I just know what my neighbor and I went through with his. We spent more time fixing things on it then playing at the lake [&o]
Old 01-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Nocturnal

I'm with you hpiguy. Speculation is one thing. Actual on the pond experience with a particular product is another.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
FROGMAN524

I don't like the shockwave's cheap hardware they use on the inside, the only good thing I can SEE mind you is the Zenoah, and the radio. That's about it.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM
fat nuggets

the shockwave55 is the best rtr boat ever. people that are haveing problems are not doing the proper preventitve maintanece. you cant take a high performance boat out of the box, not do any thing to it and expect it not to break. i run tank after tank without any problems. dont be scared to tighten some screws and check your plug once in a while. for the 4' swell guy. Who has a r/c boat that can handle 4' swells? dont talk crap if your clueless. hands down the shockwave55 is super fast, super reliable,and super fun. you just have to pay attention to your boat.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: fat nuggets

the shockwave55 is the best rtr boat ever....... hands down the shockwave55 is super fast
Fat,
Have you owned any other RTR boats to make a fair comparison? I don't particularly dislike the shockwave and I think it is a fair boat for the money (considering the relatively low cost of the boat)....but i think calling it the "best RTR ever" is a bit of a stretch.

I do agree with you that every boat needs to be maintained.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:12 PM
ACLazer

Thanks Raj, I agree 100%

The quality and durability of a Shockwave Hull falls into the same category as a V24 IMHO.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 PM
70SS

I have written about this subject a few weeks ago but I will repeat myself for the sake of this entry. I purchased a brand new shockwave 55 SS. Took it to a very very calm (almost glass) lake here in michigan and did a well mannered break in on it for about 20 minutes. When I brought the boat in transom was cracked completely around one of the trim tabs. Not just a stress crack but a crack to the point the trim tab no longer sit flat on the transom. When I called horizon on it they could only offer me a new hull and i had to do all the work in transferring parts. I explained to them that I wanted a RTR and not a kit, but this is what was offered to me. I will say the boat was not beat on at all, and i feel there is know reason for the premature failure that occurred after spending 1000 on this boat and only being offered another junk hull. I have compared other make hulls to the shockwave hull and there is know comparison the shockwave hull is way to thin period. I would not buy there products again and would have built a boat and used a better quality hull.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
supermp

I have purchased the Shockwave 4 months ago and it is a blass to drive. It can take some abuse!! I burn around 3 gallons of fuel through it and the only thing that broke is 1 shoe from the clutch, I called Horizon and they sent the part to me at no charge.

I would put a vid of it in action but I do not know were to host it.

Luc.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Colt4g63

Ive had good luck with mine also. ive added a 275 bar cut prop and a redline pro mod jug and hitting 48.3 on the GPS so far. it did around 35mph bone stock... This is stock pipe and carb. just the jug and prop added. Ive ran around 3 gallons as well.... Ive even fliped the boat and it tumbled somethinf fierce and not 1 crack! As long as u maintain ur boat its a great boat for a starter gas boat. Fast and fairly reliable. As reliable as i see RC boats getting IMO.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
supermp

Colt4g63 what's a jug?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
xxxboatworks

jug=cylinder
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
KLANDERMAN

Hello Im fairly new into the boat action RTR. I have a aquacraft SV27 and it is awesome. I have battle with it many times, but now it works beautifully!!! I also have a traxxas nitrovee, but is not even half s fast as the SV27. I have the new version of the shockwave55 on its way and was wondering what the best setup for it may be and if anyone has tips on what to be aware of please let me know. I have many r/c kits and I know that RTR means crap. You always have to mprove many things and make sure everything is working properly.
Thanks again
KLANDERMAN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.