Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

should I buy this ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

should I buy this ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Captain Ramius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: should I buy this ?

You don't need waterproofing for the receiver or any other component. You place them in a water tight "radio box". Spraying waterproofer on the components is likely to void any repair warranties.
Never saw a radio box that didn't leak or get condensation in it. You can sink test it all you want . seal it up on a humid day and it will have water in it when the boat comes back in.
Some of us who run for more than a season have radio equipement that is:
A. out of the warrenty period so it doesn't matter
B. buy good stuff to begin with so it doesn't need to go back.
C. rather void a warrenty on a inexpensive electronic part than risk a 3000 boat.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
jerni21
My Feedback: (-1)

dude just use it fix what breaks, thats half the fun of the hobby that boat looks really solid and well set upso u shouldnt have a problem but remember not RTR is truely RTR
Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 AM
BBuster

Bought my Shockwave 55 new in the box from the hobby shop.

First one was chipped, exchanged it.

Could not get it to run, back to the shop.

2 hours later and 3 phone calls to the warranty place, finally found out it had a choke. The first two tech support guys didn't think it had a choke. Manual did not say it had a choke. Of course, the owner of the hobby shop let the cord fly out of his hand and chip the glass.

My first summer with the boat I:

had 6 trips to the hobby shop (before they didn't want to see me or the boat again)
30-40 calls to the warranty place.

sent the boat into warranty for about 2 weeks (had like 6 problems all at once). Came back with a smashed wind shield

About 8 shipments of replacement parts

at least 8 disappointing trips to the lake

replaced:
kill switch twice ( the radio shack one worked)
muffler 5 times (and had to safety wire the bolts) Oh yea, there is no listing for a replacement muffler-acording to the warranty place
gas tank (when hot muffler fell off for the umpteenth time, it melted into the gas tank)
recoil starter 4 times ( then the warranty place told me to loosen the spark plug for cold starting)
flex shaft 3 times (had to bend stuffing box into alignment and relocate drive dog)
reposition the engine into alignment
re-epoxy the hatch fasteners
true the rudder and strut by milling
reposition radio box and shim steering servo 3/8"
plug leaks in radio box and custom make lid
tape and epoxy throttle linkage at carb mounting bracket (it would slip)
re-secure insulator block and carb to engine
gel coat is spider cracking and engine mounting rail screws are popping the glass on the bottom of the hull
replace fuel lines ( original lines were leaking at connections)

This is only what comes to mind at the moment. "Are you kidding me?" No I'm not kidding[:'(]

My friends were afraid to laugh at me. Thought I made a solid decision buying a high quality expensive product. Found out it is considered a starter boat (RTR- ready to repair). I felt the same way you did when we bought our boats. In less than 1 year I consider it a beater.

I didn't call your boat crap. Here's just the main reason I won't seek out another Pro Boat product.
Just scared me hearing someone buying a second Pro Boat without knowing how the first one treats ya.

From what I've read, the Enforcer Super G is a solid consideration.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

RTR(Ready-To-Repair), I like that SOunds like you had/are having horrible experiences with that boat of yours, but always remember, he bought the "Super Sport". Ken.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 PM
BBuster

Riightt