Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

picture of my frame

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

picture of my frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
jato/xxx-nt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picture of my frame

yes im tryign to build a boat here i have a picture of the frame. and i have strips of wood that appear to be either 1/8th or 1/16th thick. would those work for making to hull nad bottem and sides? and how does the frame look?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47309.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	438936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97057.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	438937  
Old 04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
jato/xxx-nt

Default RE: picture of my frame

would that work with the strips? making the bottem and hull with strips instead of 2 pieces? i am going to seal the seams really good so i think it will work.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

if you post a little more info ... I know these guys will be able to assist you .

Length
Width
( obviously a mono )
What engine do you plan on using
Is this for speed or just cruising
Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
jato/xxx-nt

speed. i really do not knwo yet on the engine. frame is 33inches long i believe
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jato is that the mono i built? if so something doesnt look right to me the bulkhead on the left in the pic it doesnt look as if the rails go right to the bottom edge of themthey should be flush with the bottom of the bulkheads thats the sloping part of the bulkheads .maybe its just the picture but thats the impression im getting here.as for making the bottom with strips no that wouldnt work you would never get a good fit for a start .i built boats profesionaly from planks and they either need to be overlapping (clinker) or you have strips going diagonaly on the inside otherwise you need to caulk the seems which wouldnt be easy on a small boat.forget it and buy some wood!!.it seems like your trying to just make do with odd bits of wood you have lying arround, please listen and just buy some wood mate!!.doing as you say is possible i supose but you would be making a hell of a lot of work for yourself i, wouldnt attempt it and i did it that way for a job.how hard can it be to buy some more wood?.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
martno1fan

jato is that the mono i built? if so something doesnt look right to me the bulkhead on the left in the pic it doesnt look as if the rails go right to the bottom edge of themthey should be flush with the bottom of the bulkheads thats the sloping part of the bulkheads .maybe its just the picture but thats the impression im getting here.as for making the bottom with strips no that wouldnt work you would never get a good fit for a start .i built boats profesionaly from planks and they either need to be overlapping (clinker) or you have strips going diagonaly on the inside otherwise you need to caulk the seems which wouldnt be easy on a small boat.forget it and buy some wood!!.it seems like your trying to just make do with odd bits of wood you have lying arround, please listen and just buy some wood mate!!.doing as you say is possible i supose but you would be making a hell of a lot of work for yourself i, wouldnt attempt it and i did it that way for a job.how hard can it be to buy some more wood?.it seems that we have tried to help advise you on this boat and you dont seem to be listening im not been funny but you need to listen to the advice your asking for!!.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 PM
jato/xxx-nt

i cannot get thin pieces of wood to make it. so im going to try the strips. if it works, good if not o well. i wont build boats. it aitn that big of a deal.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:01 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Go to your local MENARDS ( or store like that - LOWES or BUILDERS SUPPLY ) and check out their BROKEN/DAMAGED interior doors . The skins on them are made from numerous types of wood ( mostly LUAN ) and are the proper thickness for sknning a boat hull .
I pick up mine at MENARDS for as cheap as a BUCK , and the most expensive one was $3.00 .
usually the doors have a little hole poked thru them at the top corner , or bottom corner , which leaves a LOT of area of GOOD wood to use !
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
jato/xxx-nt

i have luon. but frays all up when i cut it.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
martno1fan

jato if its not a big deal id say dont bother cos building a boat takes skill time and patience !! have you got any of these things? if not forget it sory to be so blunt but you seem not to want to listen to our advice!!.i wish you luck !!when you use strips how you gonna get them to meet up when you curve them round cos if you cut them in strips they will not meet up they need to be cut curved to fit the shape you need!!.i know im a boat builder it takes skill and a lot of it to build a boat like that trust me.go buy some wood!!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Martno1fan, as hard as this is to believe, I'm going to agree with you
Jato, forget the strips. Why is it you can't get the thin wood? What you need is some 1/16th ply, which is NORMALLY readily available from the local hobby shops, not to mention all the online sources. So, where's the problem? Lack of patience maybe, or is it lack of cash or experience?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
martno1fan

[X(] you actually agree lol at last a miracle,just kidding mate i think Jatos problem is hes young and has little money and no patience.Dont give up Jato just listen to us and go buy some wood once you have some it will not be such a hard job and we will help any way we can .i used 1/8 ply for mine so you dont have to use 1/16 if its not available.i know 1/8 is heavier but guess what its still lighter than fibre glass.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM
jato/xxx-nt

because no one here carys it. and how to heck are ya supposed to know the curv to cut the pieces on two reg pieces for the boat???????????????? dont tell me that now did ya.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:56 PM
martno1fan

jato ive told you doing it with strips isnt the best way!!buy some wood.theres such a thing as mail order you know ,how do you think most people get theyre stuff.if you are determined to do it with strips and im not suggeting you do but if you are then cut out the hull bottom plan and place all your strips side by side making sure there are no gaps and place the plan over it then draw round it and cut your pieces to match then starting at the keel glue the edges and tape them together flat ,you could lay them on grease proof paper to see if that stops them sticking to the table or bench too.let them dry overnight.there you go two pieces the same but mirror images.it could work but when its glued id spend some time sanding the outer faces till you get a smooth surface before you start building.use an electric sander or sand paper in a block of wood will do.use medium grade paper then fine to finnish.by the way i turned a blind eye to your attitude lol but only this one time ok, ive tried my best to help you out here a bit of thanks might be in order.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:21 PM
jato/xxx-nt

MY PRINTER WILL NTO PRINT A 48INCH PIECE OF PAPER. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PRINT ANS USE THE PICTURES OF THE BOTTEM!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:41 PM
martno1fan

jato you dont use one piece of paper you print 100% then starting at one corner of the plan select print current view then drag the image across print current view and so on till you have a full plan done you will have to drag the last image down after its done to do the other side of the plan to get the whole bottom piece in and you will have about six to eight pieces of A 4 paper tape em together and jobs a good un. thats the hard way to do it if you have software that will tile it for you its easyer but i dont so thats how i do it!!.ive told you this about six times now .when you drag the image across be carefull you start at the edge and drag to the oposite edge then you will be able to line all the pieces up ,some will overlap slightly but as long as they look in line they will work out correct ive done numerous plans this way without any problems so far.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
jato/xxx-nt

my computer wil nto print liek that. i have tryed everything. cannot get it to do it right.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:11 AM
w3bby

Jato, do you have access to a printer at school? (I am making an assumption here that you are young and still at school, if not, I apologise.) Other options are friends with other printers. The ability to do tiled prints lies in the printer driver not the computer. Nearly all printers have the ability to print the "current view", check again under your printer preferences.
You say that the luan frays when you cut it, you can avoid this on one face by scoring along the required shape with a knife before you saw. Saw a bit away from the line and sand to the final shape. Do everything in pairs, this way you ensure that they are the same. With the frames you can sand all but the bow frame at the same time, they are all the same shape.
However, as you seem unable or unwilling to find wood suitable for the build I would agree with martno and hydro junkie that maybe you should reconsider this build when you have more resources, patience and experience.
Internet is a wonderful thing but we cannot build the boat for you!