Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Zenoah cuts out :( >

Zenoah cuts out :(

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zenoah cuts out :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah cuts out :(

It was just the solder joint that failed on the flex shaft so I was able to re-solder it. Took the boat down to the lake today to test it out

The result -> See video here!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:54 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a blast !!! some good speed and handling !! Video looks like you get pretty close to shore at the end of the straight !!

Thanks for sharing the vid
Old 04-25-2006, 04:11 AM

That is our practice lake. I wasn't game to use the competition lake as we are only supposed to use it on sanctioned days. The competition lake has a heap more room and a drivers stand.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks cool mate seems like your getting around 50 mph from her at a guess,dont tell me youve defected to the ausies lol ?. you are english am i right lol,bet they love you after the ashes hehe.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

hmm could be something to do with the fail safe, i knew a guy had one in his plane and it cut his engine
LOL, putting a failsafe in a plane is just asking for trouble.

gb_direwolf
Great videos! Glad to hear the zenoah is running well. What solder joint failed? Would you happen to have any photos?

Ryan
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 PM

i know that sound all too well![&o] my mono did that to me frequently until i (believe it or not) quite soldering and switched to red lock tite. ever since then i haven't had a single problem and its been a couple of seasons. with regards to building your own flex cable, it sounds like that would work pretty well on a speedmaster type of setup that typically uses a one-piece cable but i don't know if it would work well with the type he's using. with his type the cable floats inside the adapter on the motor and it needs that coupler that solders on the cable to act as a stop to lock the stub shaft in place. i don't know if a piece of brass tubing wouldn't just eat up the front side of strut every time he lets off throttle imho. i'm no stranger to being wrong though!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:44 AM

ermmm I'm an Aussie, born and bred (the gb is from an online gaming tag I use because someone already had direwolf)

Here are some photos of the flex shaft. The brass ferrel is soldered onto the flex shaft.

I've heard about the locktite. Thats the one for bearings or something isn't it?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Try the loctite 648. I was told it will hold up to a 70cc Quickdraw. It is spendy, but a little will go along way. A few drops and they will be stuck together. Use heat to get them apart. This loctite is originally designed to hold to pieces of metal, that are a machine fit, together. If you decide to use it, just make sure to clean the parts really good with a SS brush and some acetone.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 AM

I use loc-tite instead of soldering that joint as well. It holds strong but is very tough to break the bond.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM

gb- yes, it works on struts with bearings such as the marine specialties hbr dual rudder setup that i have on a mono.

Ryan, all you have to do is use a torch and heat it up just a bit and it melts and lets go. it doesn't require much heat.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM

Very true. But that is if you would like the bond to be broken. I was just referring to normal use.

Ryan