Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Decent motor and clutch for $100?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Decent motor and clutch for $100?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:57 AM
McFrosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent motor and clutch for $100?

Hey, I'm trying to build myself a boat but I've never done one before.

I'm looking for a gas weed eater style engine but I want to keep cost down as much as possible while still having decent 30-40mph type speeds.

I bought this hull: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6055807549&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6055807549&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1[/link]

I was thinking of a $35 McCulloch from [link=http://www.staton-inc.com/Results1.asp?Category=13]HERE[/link] and getting a water jacket from [link=http://www.eellspdx.com/mcculloch.html]HERE[/link].

Anyone have any other suggestions for a decent motor? I want something that I can easily find the parts I need like mounts, header and exhaust and water cooled head.

Trying to build a boat for as cheap as possible without going to cheap.

I will be using a SPD III drive and dual rudder setup.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Woodmandan2

Default RE: Decent motor and clutch for $100?

That engine lookes nice. Tell me how it preform's in that hull. I would like to get that same engine your lookin at! I'm only 12 so i don't get much mony. nxt year i wil be able to caddy golf clubs around the golf course for people. $20 to caddy around golf clubs for a hour and a half and a free lunch. What could be a easier way for a 13 year old to get money fast!!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

For a new Mac ... thats a GOOD deal . I would go with that , especially if high speed is not a thing .
ya know ... and its NOT because I am backing them , but , you CAN buy a new Homie powerhead from places like LOWES and such for around $60. And there are PLENTY of parts avail ( hop ups and justr about everything - headers, pipes , gutted cannisters , engine mounts- and a selection of choices for them , along with other numerous parts )
Whereas , the Mac , you can find parts , but VERY limited AND you'd be at the sellers mercy ( only because of the limited amount of sellers for those items )
So , in the long run ... ( and again , its NOT because I am so fond of Homies ) but , is it worth it .... just check on EBAY for Homies and you will see what I mean about parts and accesories ( tuned pipes , headers , engine mounts , carbs , etc , etc )
So , is this intial saving worth it ? Or , were you gonna plan on making those items yourself ? ( not a very hard thing - engine mounts , header pipe , etc )
Old 05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
vsop

I think 40mph is not going to be possible with out some serious mods.
Unless you get a tuned pipe on that motor, its not going to have very much power.
Its probably a 1hp engine maybe 1.5hp.

I would say your best option, is to find a used zenoah, new a 260pum can be found for $200 so you should be able to find a used zenoah g23, 231, 261 or the like for under 200 with mounts and maybe even a pipe.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

A zenoah would be nice, but if he's on a serious budget, go with a Homie. There are far more mods, mounts, pipes, and parts for them. They're also easy to find just as cheap. Ken.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:50 PM
McFrosty

Ya, a Zenoah would be nice but I don't want to spend much on this project. Believe my though, I'm watching e-bay everyday and if I see a deal that catches my eye I will be getting one.

The problem I have with the Homelite engines is I don't know which one is which. If I get a 25cc Homelite engine how do I know its the model that people make parts for? Are they all the same as far as exhaust, intake, head, etc?

PS. What does everyone think of that hull? I thought it looked pretty good for $127.50?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
mechanic boy

hey i have a 25 cc marine motor for 60 bucks
Old 05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

no selling in forums, I have gotten in trouble for it and since straitened up, just watchout the mods will get you...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM
McFrosty

Thanks for the offer but I was actually given a 25cc Homelite weedeater earlier today.

Now all I need is a clutch for it.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM
vsop

forabuck hulls are decent. The guy that you got that hull from is a member over at the dock. I purchased a waterpump from him just the other day.
You got a good price, he was trying to sell it for $175

And you don't have to have a clutch on the boat.. So unless you want one, you can get by with out one
Old 05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
McFrosty

Ya, I know I don't need one but I want to be able to stop and idle.

I would be in around a dock and marsh and also there are often neighbours swimming so I need to have the extra bit of control.

Are all the clutches for these damn things $100 or more? Or am I missing something? I can't seem to see any decent priced clutches.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
McFrosty

Actually I think I answered my own question.

Is the "Complete Clutch Pack" from [link=http://www.warehousehobbies.com/index1.html]HERE[/link] a clutch that will do what I want?

How does this clutch attach to the output shaft on the motor?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

First, never run with people in the water, very very dangerouse, a boat this size could kill someone...yeah clutches arnt cheap, I dunno if the enforcer fits homies or not....anyone? I have one but its on my older sikk 25cc which is a zenoah...the three point mount thing works well, clutch works great, also dont forget it will need a waterpump if it has a clutch, my boat is an enforcer crackerbox and has all enforcer stuff on it, which it did when I bought it about a month ago, I like all the stuff, its really decent...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
vsop

That WHH clutch is made for a zenoah.. Not sure if anyone makes a clutch kit for the Homelights.. Reason being that many of them actually come with a clutch. It might be cheaper to start out with a homelight that has a clutch already if you really want/need one.

Just remember you will need a water pump as well if you want to idle on the water