Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Best guess on speed with a ProMod Zen?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Best guess on speed with a ProMod Zen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
McFrosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best guess on speed with a ProMod Zen?

Hey everybody, I am building my first boat and I need some educated guesses.

So far I have a 50" Vern Kilmer Deep-V and I'm running a watercooled Homelite with Warehouse Hobbies wet tuned pipe.

I'm already thinking about more speed so I was looking at the ProMod Zen they over at Warehouse Hobbies(5.5hp)

What kind of speeds would you think I could get with that motor vs the Homelite? Obviously faster but about how many MPH would you guess?

Any other suggestions on cheaper but still fast motors with a clutch?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best guess on speed with a ProMod Zen?

Not sure which hull you have, I have a 51" cobra Max GT and with a bone stock 260 w/257 carb and tuned pipe I am estimating my speeds at ~45 mph on smooth water and a bit faster on rough water. It is about as fast as I want to go with this hull. If you are looking for more power, consider the new Sikk motor, 5.5hp with a pipe and comes with mounts and throttle linkage for less than the Zen.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Paul M

I know HP and hull design have alot to do with it. But I have always been amazed on the effect prop mods/selection and set up have on speed.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:27 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure on speed but look at the hp on these babys at prestwich[link]http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/zenoahmarineengines.htm[/link] al i can say is a race tuned zen gets 7.2 hp so not sure what mods you refer to at 5 hp.maybe thats a standard mod?.so i guess what im saying is if you want real speed get a race tuned zen or sikk.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Dekman

ORIGINAL: Davcruz

Not sure which hull you have, I have a 51" cobra Max GT and with a bone stock 260 w/257 carb and tuned pipe I am estimating my speeds at ~45 mph on smooth water and a bit faster on rough water. It is about as fast as I want to go with this hull. If you are looking for more power, consider the new Sikk motor, 5.5hp with a pipe and comes with mounts and throttle linkage for less than the Zen.
Who has the Sikk for sale with that price? sounds like a package worth looking at.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
vsop

Oneil Brothers is the place to look at for Sikk packages. I have heard a few guys say that they got good deals from him
Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: McFrosty

Hey everybody, I am building my first boat and I need some educated guesses.

So far I have a 50" Vern Kilmer Deep-V and I'm running a watercooled Homelite with Warehouse Hobbies wet tuned pipe.

I'm already thinking about more speed so I was looking at the ProMod Zen they over at Warehouse Hobbies(5.5hp)

What kind of speeds would you think I could get with that motor vs the Homelite? Obviously faster but about how many MPH would you guess?

Any other suggestions on cheaper but still fast motors with a clutch?
As you're thinking about upgrading, keep in mind that in general, the more highly modified an engine is, the more fussy it will be. Obtaining peak performance may require a very specific combination of pipe, prop, etc. If you don't get that specific setting, you may find the boat is slower than it would be with a stock engine. I've seen a surprising number of boats with very expensive engines putting around the course while those with stock engines cruised past them. OTOH, stock engines tend to be pretty forgiving and tolerate a much wider range of pipe/prop combinations. Something worth considering is to try a stock 260PUM. If after working with the setup for a while you find it's not enough, send it off to be modified. Also remember that anytime you throw a clutch in the driveline, you're sacrificing some power.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:30 PM
nitrot1

Homelites do not like to be over revved, I would go with a stock Zen 260, do a bonzi clutch, and run the boat. Later if you want some more HP out of it, send it out to Toxic Al, M&D or CC engines.
You will gain about 2 hp when modded up.
That boat I would use a MW3 prop with a stock 260, and test and tune from there.