Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

just curious

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

just curious

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:41 PM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just curious

im looking at building a boat, a deep vee and i was wondering if there is any real savings to build yourself a boat or just buy a rtr.
im lookin at the aeromarine type boats. and what sorta speed can i expect out of those type boats? is there an advantage to fiberglass or wood?
any answers are apreciated.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: just curious

There are savings to DIY certainly - but it depends on if you know what your doing.

Sometimes you can just build a better quality product with better materials, hardware,options etc.

Considering most new RTR aeromarines are $1300+ you will find many can build bigger, better for around the same $$

Dont get me wrong - aeromarine builds a good rtr boat. But I know many DIYers who build better !!

Most stock boats will give you better than 40mph. Glass tends to be more forgiving, easy to maintain, a little more durable than wood. Wood certainly has its applications but glass is generally a better medium for RC boats.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
zenchal26

diy is more rewarding build it, run it, break it, fix it, it's really what the hobby is all about. Cheaper that way too. aero hull will run you 350 + you can get knock offs for half that. And what you build is what you want and at the quality you want ya know they say if you want it right do it yo self
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
the dog

thanks guys. i found a hull with some hardware for sale on here i hope the guy sells me. i think i would rather build it myself. i saw a pics of your boat zenchal26 and that thing is looking nice. that motivated me to build my own cause i want it to look like one of a kind. the hull i hope to buy doesnt have a motor, so ill need one. whats the biggest you can put in a aeromarine challanger?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Paul M

I've built 2 boats and had alot of fun and learned alot as well. The more experienced modelers on this forum are very willing to help which makes it alot easier to take the plunge
Old 07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
zenchal26

I have a 260 in mine not sure if they make a bigger one than that. if you are looking for braided line covering I have some for sale in the adds section.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
the dog

so whats a braided line covering? im really new to boats, sorry. a 260? is that a zenoah? ive been lookng at those already. what kind of speed can you get from one of those? ease of tuning?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
zenchal26

the covering is just that you buy the line of your choice and slide the covering over it friend has a stock 260 in a lazer and is running low 50s